I have loads of questions!

Options
So I saw on here I need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. So I have been doing it. But my question is, why? Does it help flush the salt from your body? Does it add water weight to my weigh ins? Would drinking more help me loose weight faster?

I am 30 years old and weight 220. I was told my heartrate needs to be at 124 to be in the fat burning zone. But often when I work out it is much higher (150). Am I not loosing fat when I work out then? Do I need to make sure it stays right at 124 to loose weight? Should I be doing cardio too or just fat burn?

I have a personal trainer I work out with twice a week. We usually just lift weights for 30 minutes then I go and do some cardio. Should I be lifting weights more often to see better weight loss results. Or is twice a week enough? It seems stupid to do situps when I have such a flabby fat tummy. Do I need to loose the weight first and then tone up? Should I do cardio first or second?

Does it matter what you eat or just how many calories you take in? I dont usually go too far over my calories goal of 1250 but often it is not super healthy food I am eating. Is this hindering my weight loss efforts? Or is a calorie a calorie no matter what it comes from?

I hope I dont sound stupid - but there are so many posts on here and so many different opinions and I just feel so LOST. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a million.

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'd ask the personal trainer a lot of these questions, that's what you're paying for.
    I saw a post that said divide your body weight in half - that's how many oz of water you need to drink a day. http://www.highvibrations.org/archive3/water.htm
  • christisnroxy
    Options
    The whole water thing is about if you drink more water a day even right before a meal you will eat less. Plus water is better for you in the end. It is better for your digestion. Also it does flush you out and makes me personally feel better. I doesnt add that much water weight because it is in and out of your system so fast. Hope I help a little and Good Luck!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You may want to try MFP search function if you have loads of questions. Chances are someone has already asked and received answers to most of the top topics that come up time and again in the forums.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    So I saw on here I need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. So I have been doing it. But my question is, why? Does it help flush the salt from your body? Does it add water weight to my weigh ins? Would drinking more help me loose weight faster?

I've always heard that it prevents water retention and dehydration. Both very bad things.

I am 30 years old and weight 220. I was told my heartrate needs to be at 124 to be in the fat burning zone. But often when I work out it is much higher (150). Am I not loosing fat when I work out then? Do I need to make sure it stays right at 124 to loose weight? Should I be doing cardio too or just fat burn?

When I first started working out at 220+ my heart rate tended to hover around 190. Stupid high. I went to a doctor and got checked out and she said it was OK for me. Now that I'm healthly and much more fit it hovers around 140. A lot of that is personal and you will have to figure it out with your doctor and through trial and error.

I have a personal trainer I work out with twice a week. We usually just lift weights for 30 minutes then I go and do some cardio. Should I be lifting weights more often to see better weight loss results. Or is twice a week enough? It seems stupid to do situps when I have such a flabby fat tummy. Do I need to loose the weight first and then tone up? Should I do cardio first or second?

I only go to the weight room twice a week and do yoga once a week. I do cardio the other four days of the week. It's enough for me, but another thing I think you'll have to experiment with until you find what's right for you.

Does it matter what you eat or just how many calories you take in? I dont usually go too far over my calories goal of 1250 but often it is not super healthy food I am eating. Is this hindering my weight loss efforts? Or is a calorie a calorie no matter what it comes from?

For me, it is not just calories in/calories out. Check out the gylcemic load on google. My body does respond differently to calories that spike my glucose and I will have different results when I keep the levels very even. (no spikes, no drops). It's the method that was recommended by my nutritionist. Again, experiment.

I hope I dont sound stupid - but there are so many posts on here and so many different opinions and I just feel so LOST. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a million.

You don't sound stupid. You sound like you're stressing too much. Take it one thing at a time, try things out for at least two weeks and see how your body responds. It's a very personal journey and what works for one doesnt always work for another. :)
    [/quote]
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your heart rate too much. The higher it is the more calories you burn. Just don't go overboard! 150 is fine. When I exercise my heart rate can be anywhere between 100 and 170 at any particular time. If you can keep it above 120 or so you will burn more calories. I hope that helps.
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that water does a lot for you-- it keeps you fuller, longer, and it also burns calories when you drink COLD water. The body is naturally at 98.6 degrees, and when you drink cold water, it lowers your body temperature, and you lose calories by your body using its energy to bring it back up to where it used to be. Drinking 8 glasses of water also keeps you hydrated, which naturally keeps your body running efficiently. Yes, it also flushes out the bad stuff in your body.

As someone who used to be lbs, and now I am about 164 (by working out and eating right), my best advice is to just continually do cardio until you lose a significant amount of weight, then tone your body. Using weights can help burn calories as well, and is a good idea, but I would focus more on cardio and make sure you lose calories.

The idea of losing weight is simple: make sure to burn more calories than you consume. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Seriously. I have to be honest though, you will feel better, physically, emotionally, and spiritually if you learn to cut out sugar and try eating less-processed foods. Try to incorporate more fruits and veggies in your diet, and you will feel 10x better about yourself. If you can stop eating processed-sugary foods for 2 weeks, your craving for them will significantly decrease.

From a personal perspective, you can do this. I thought I would be the last person in the world to lose 40 lbs, but it is do-able!! You just have to really believe in yourself. Motivation is key. Find a reason to want to lose weight, and write it down. Everytime you seriously think about eating that cookie or potato chip, take out that piece of paper, and re-think, re-evaluate, and PUT DOWN THAT FOOD!! Go grab a piece of fruit, get online and talk about how you feel on this website. There are A TON of people who are in the same situation you are in. They feel how you feel, they understand.

I hope this helps!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    So I saw on here I need to drink 8 glasses of water a day.

I am 30 years old and weight 220. I was told my heartrate needs to be at 124 to be in the fat burning zone.

water has been noted to possibly help suppress your appetite, meaning you eat less food and feel 'full' when you drink a lot of water with your meals. water is great for anyone's health, as well. our bodies are built on water as a base, it helps in all of your organs functions, brain, skin, heart... everything. You may not NEED 8cups a day, but it is a general suggestion. I drink far more than that, others might drink less and still feel good. Push yourself to see how much you can drink in a day, then judge how you feel after that. Keep trying different amounts until you find one that is good for you.

fat burning zone is a load of junk. move so your heart rate raises, keep your heart rate up. You will become healthier from this. Pushing yourself too far could be bad (like at 190 HR or above) but doing what you are doing seems great to me.

Personal trainer sounds amazing, great choice! It is worth noting that suggestions go against working the same muscle groups day after day. so if you lift weights that focus on your arms on tuesday, you can lift weights that focus on your legs on wednesday, then go back to arms on thursday. There will be no harm at all in lifting weights more often than twice a week, I honestly believe lifting weights should be valued higher than cardio work (but that is my personal opinion!). Your flabby tummy will disappear not from situps (though situps are ok to do)... it will disappear as your body fat % lowers. That comes from eating well and exercising.. be it lifting weights or cardio - any exercise will help your body fat lower.

A calorie is a calorie wherever it comes from, yes. BUT your body requires a certain balance of nutrients to be the best it can be. If you eat all your 1250 calories in fat grams, then you will likely not feel as good nor preform as well as if you had a balance of carbs, fats, and proteins. If you are just starting out, I suggest trying to stick with your calorie goal... then as you get used to constantly achieving that - add in new goal like 'I will not go over my fats today' or 'I will strive for 60grams of protein today'.
  • jackieb79
    Options
    I read somewhere that drinking water actually helps to speed up your metabolism. If you aren't getting enough water, your body's metabolism slows down to conserve water, just like it does to conserve fat. So drink up!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of questoins and I'm no expert but I'll see if I can help.

totally drink your water!!! I weigh 213 and I try to get about 12 glasses a day espically when I work out. water flushes sodium out this means you will not retain water. it sounds strange but drink more water so your body reatins less. Potassium aslo counter acts sodium.

When i do cardio I uasually have a heart rate between 140 and 160. You will still burn fat at a higher heart rate but the higher heart rate isn't necessary to burn fat. As long as you are comfortable with the heart rate I say keep going.

2-3 times a week of strength training is great.. building muscle will help you burn more fat and those abs you are working on will eventually show up as you lose more weight. I say do your work out in whichever order works for you. I very based on when I get to eth gym. but I try to do my cardio before yoga so i don't runin my relaxed state. Yoga is awesome for strenght training btw.

they type of calories you eat does make a difference. it's best to get a varity of foods so you get the correct nutrients. Eating less sugar will cause fewer insulin spikes. The spikes may cause you to store fat. So watch the simple carbs like white breads and candy. That being said I do not eat "clean" I love chocolate and french fries. i just try not to eat them too often. I personally eat more protein and less carbs. Feel free to look at my journal. I did not log while I was away the last few days but i am back at it today.

please excuse my spelling errors and best of luck to you!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

The thing is there are so many different opinions on this and research supporting contradictory answers to these questions. I generally base myself on research I've read and common sense based on how we've evolved. These are my opinion, and I am not a professional so take them with a grain of salt (I just love health and fitness, and love looking through research):

- Why so much water? I don't believe the 8 glasses a day. I've read studies that disprove this. Drink when you're thirsty. I trust my body will tell me when it needs water by making me thirsty.

- Cardio vs fat burn? I'm not in favour of constant cardio. I think the stress it puts on our body is not worth it. I believe in two speeds for exercise. Moderate (ie. fast walking) and sprinting.

- Again, not big in favour of cardio. Try doing HIIT. Sprint for 30 seconds, walk for a minute; repeat.
    Weights twice a week is fine. Three is good too. (you need to recover) I also would recommend making it heavy. Make your muscles work for it.

- I am of the exception, but I think carbs matter more than calories in weight loss/gain. 1250 in seems low, especially if you're training regularly. Quality is also important. Eating 500 calories of veggies, vs 500 calories of cake will affect your body differently.

- Should you lose weight before toning? I've read that when you've lost wieght, your hormones respond better to your training, so losing weight is important to toning up. However, that doesn't mean that the situps you're doing are not worth it. Just because you can't see your abs doesn't mean they're not there and getting stronger. (Though they won't necessarily be responsible for burning the weight)

-
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will try to help you in some areas. As for the personal trainer questions, I would ask him/her because you are paying them. Strength training is very important along with cardio because it tones your muscles as you are losing. I do alot of running but I also need to get back to doing Ripped in 30 which will tone what I have lost. Lifting weights are important.

As for the water intake, it does help flush your system especially if you have had alot of sodium. You should be drinking half of your body weight in oz. I have atleast 8 glasses of water, but I try to shoot for 9-10 glasses/day. I don't like plain water, so I add Crystal Light for flavor. Water is very important for our systems especially since we are 75% water.

Losing weight isn't about staying under in calories. It is important to watch what you are eating too. Fruits, veggies, protein (very important), fiber, etc. Try to eat whole grain. If you have fast food alot and are still under in calories, you don't lose much very often because of all the sodium and processed food. Don't get me wrong, I still eat processed food (Lean Cuisine, Weight watcher,s etc) especially for lunch, but I try to limit like my fast food and stuff. Have healthy snacks - almonds, whipped peanut butter, etc. I can tell you I don't "deprive" myself of anything; I just limit it. It is all about potions and self-control. I have my weak moments especially when it comes to chocolate. I just try to have a healthy version if I need something sweet.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Lots of questions! And you'll probably get lots of and differing answers - each person has to do what feels right for the long haul 'cuz that's what we should really be working on - healthy life style changes.

1. Water. I personally like the "take your weight, divide in 1/2 and that's how many ounces of water you should be drinking a day" rule. If you're under 160 pounds, drink at lest 8 glasses - if you're over, follow this rule. I flushes out salts and other toxins, it helps you feel full and added benefit - the exercise you get running to the potty more often! But seriously, it has really helped me. I don't drink pop. Coffee in am, a glass of wine in the pm and LOTS and LOTS of water!

2. The whole fat burning v. cardio thing has me confused. I personally try to do some of both - go for a quick walk several times a day (where you can still carry on a conversation) and then a run 3 times a week - mix it up and see what works for you! I love Zumba also. The key is to move more, however you can fit it in. Move more, eat less -you'll lose weight.

3. You should ask your trainer but I think you should be doing some weights - whether twice a week is enough will stir up quite a debate on here but that's about what I do. Again, you fit in what you can when you can and it all contributes to a healthier you!

4. I think it does matter what you eat as well as how many calories. I think you need to focus on getting as many vegies (fresh are best, frozen next) as possible, followed by lean proteins (chicken, fish). Then a fruit or two if you're hungry. Also, they say, eating yogurt offers additional benefits to weight loss and I know dairy products can help build the resiliancy of your skin and help with the loose skin thing that comes from losing the weight. Frankly, I don't even count the calories in most of my vegies - I put onions, green peppers, mushrooms and spinach in just about everything! sautee with fake eggs for breakfast, in my tuna salad for lunch. I always have chopped carrots, celery and other fresh vegies in my fridge so I can throw a salad together in no time - VEGIES ARE YOUR FRIEND! filling, low calorie, high fiber.

Good luck! Just do what you can do, one goal at a time, slow and steady always keeping your eyes on the prize - a long and healthy life!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    The body uses a lot of water for metabolizing things, including fat. If you are dehydrated you could be slowing metabolism. By how much and how much water is really needed is up for debate but 8 glasses is a good amount to aim for.
    The "fat burning zone" is largely a myth. Yes, at lower intensity (Lower heart rate) a higher % of the calories you burn will be fat, but working out at a higher intensity level will burn more fat total because of the much higher amount of calories burned. So, best intensity is medium to high but leaning to high. Your HR will be higher when you first start out because you are out of shape, after a month or two it will probably come down some.
    twice a week for an hour is probably good if you have been inactive for a long time. You don't want to overdo it at first an hurt yourself. However, if you feel like you can do more, you should. I would probably do cardio 4x per week for a half an hour and lift 3-4x per week.
    A calories is a calorie from a weight loss point of view. However, eating healthier foods high in protein and fiber will make you feel full longer and you'll be less hungry. Early on it does not matter the contents of the calories, though the lighter you get the more important they can become since weight loss gets more difficult the smaller you are.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Please dont feel stupid for asking questions. Most of the time people fail to lose weight due to poor information.

A calorie is a calorie no matter what you eat. Its better for your body to eat healthy food eg wholegrain carbs (pasta, rice etc), veg and fruit, but as long as you stay at your daily calorie allowance then you will lose weight.

In terms of exercise, you max heart rate for your age is 190bpm, so as long as your heart rate it above your resting heart rate then again you will burn calories, therefore lose weight. If you are new to exercise, then you want to start gently, so 120 would be a good start and work your way up when you feel ready.

Drinking water is good for you as your body is mainly made up of water. If you are dehyrated, your body will actually retain water. I use the pee test, if its like apple juice then you're dehyrated, if its like lemonade then you're ok. You get water through food as well so I go with the pee test!!

I would use cardio more than weights to start with, as weights would help tone the body, whereas you need to lose fat which is achieved through the higher heart rate of cardio. But go easy if you're new, just work up to it.

I hope this helps. Im training to be a personal trainer, so hope this helps from what Im learning so far :smile:

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like...
  • Rockindreamer
    Options
    You want to drink a minimum of 64oz of water a day. This helps to flush out toxins from your system including sodium which makes you retain water. the more you drink the more you flush out, It hydrates your muscles and tissues, which promotes healthy metabolism allowing your muscles to work more efficiently. Drinking more water will not add more weight to your weigh ins unless you drink a gallon straight without peeing then weight yourself lol

While you are heavier your heart rate will be higher when you exert yourself, you need to be at least at 124 to be effectively burning calories. I would invest in a heart rate monitor. My Polar FT4 gives me the burning zone range of 120-150 based on my height and weight.

The weight training is good to keep your muscles strong which helps to burn calories more efficiently. as for how often, i would ask your trainer for a good routine for you to follow each week.

What you eat ABSOLUTELY matters. Less processed foods more raw foods. Lean proteins, lots of veggies and fruits, whole grains. Log everything you eat on here, monitor your fats, sodium levels, sugars and carbs. Processed foods high in fat, sodium and sugar will not process in your body the same as healthy lean proteins and veggies will. your body uses the nutrients within the good stuff to run effectively. Doesnt mean you have to never have the things you love, but everything in moderation. You want more good than bad in your diet.

My 2 pennies...
  • cameralinds
    Options
    You're going to get many differing opinions, but I hope you find the answers you need:

8 glasses of water is just a minimal amount. Since you are working out, you need to drink more. I've heard it's an additional glass for every 15 minutes of exercise. My optimal amount is half of my body weight in ounces. Since you are 220lbs, that would mean 110 ounces of water. If you invest in a large reusable water bottle (one of the 32 ounces, it's only 3 of those and some change). When you drink more water, your body gets the signal that "hey, I don't have to hold onto water because there's always some coming in" ...and it releases the water. It also flushes out toxins and releases water weight. So to answer your question, "Would drinking more help me lose weight faster?" The answer is yes. But realize, "fast weight loss" is only a usually a pound or two (or less) per week.

I'd like to think I'm in pretty decent shape...but my heart rate is always really high, especially when I am running. (I've seen 170s many times). I was born with a high heart rate and have had a naturally high pulse since then. Which has come in handy when I've needed to go to the hospital. High heart rate triggers a quicker in-out visit...but I digress. There is a "fat burn" heart rate and a "cardio" heart rate. They're on the machines at the gym usually, or a simple google search could be of assistance. CARDIO is very important. It strengthens your heart, while weight training helps your muscles. DO BOTH.

I've read that doing crunches while you're heavier is counterproductive. While you are building muscle under there, it can't be seen, and therefore, the muscle underneath the layers of excess weight, will cause the excess weight to stick out further. However, some core training is essential because your core(abs) is where all things posture, balance, etc come from.

You get out of your body what you put into it. If you put junk and sugar and processed foods in it, then you're going to feel yucky, sluggish and tired. If you fuel your body with lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, you're going to feel energized, great, and happier. However, going over is going over...but it's better to go over in nutritious foods than empty calorie foods. Eating healthier foods will help aid in you feeling better inside and out.

Don't feel overwhelmed by everything. We were all once new to this. Just take things one change at a time. Keep pushing and fighting, and if you slip up, that's okay...start fresh tomorrow. I wish you the best of luck and I hope to hear more about your journey in the future. :-)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The very first thing is "Do what works for you" You are going to be "being healthy" for a very long time. You don't need to know all the answers immediately, you don't need to be perfect immediately. Rome wasn't built in a day. Learn what your body needs.
    But my question is, why? Does it help flush the salt from your body? Does it add water weight to my weigh ins? Would drinking more help me loose weight faster?

Yes, it flushes salt from your body. It reduces your water weight. If you don't drink enough water, your body will hoard what little bit of water it gets from food. It will not help you lose "fat" faster.
    Am I not loosing fat when I work out then? Do I need to make sure it stays right at 124 to loose weight? Should I be doing cardio too or just fat burn?

My opinion is, anything that raises your heart rate is going to burn calories. At 220, you don't need to worry right now about what percentage of those calories will be burnt as fat or carbs or whatever. That's the only difference between the heart rate zones. Or unless you are going to get into some heavy duty athletic training. So burn away. Don't worry about your zones. You can do some research on it though if you'd like. Reading all you can on being healthy and weight loss will keep you motivated.

Should I be lifting weights more often to see better weight loss results. Or is twice a week enough? It seems stupid to do situps when I have such a flabby fat tummy. Do I need to loose the weight first and then tone up? Should I do cardio first or second?

You can do them both at the same time. I'm going to say twice a week is enough for now. Muscle burns more calories than fat does. You want to increase your muscle mass, and decrease your fat mass. Once you reduce your fat percentage, you will start to see what your fat has been covering up.

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. 3500 of them equals a pound of fat. That being said, if you eat a lot of processed foods and unhealthy foods, well, it's just not healthy. But besides that, when you eat unprocessed foods, you actually burn a few more calories then you would if it was processed. It takes more energy (ie calories) for your body to digest fresh food then it does processed.

You are going to get a dozen different opinions on stuff. It's up to you to read and get informed. Read all of the information and then work with what resonates and works for you the most.
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Water---> I've heard say that you lose weight quicker when you drink more water. (I'm no doctor so take this with a grain of salt) but I think the physiology behind it is two fold: 1) Water cleanses the body, removing toxins and harmful substances from it. This itself keeps your body running smoother 2) Well hydrated organs (kidneys/liver) don't have to worry so much about keeping you hydrated (by retaining as much water as they can) and can focus on metabolising the foods you eat and mobilizing the fat you burn! As far as water retention is concerned, that has more to do with your salt intake!

Fat Burning Zone--> I've heard that you burn fat 20minutes into your cardio workouts (this is roughly the time it takes for you to burn through other energy stores) but I could be wrong. I'm a big believer though of science and science says: more calories burned than consumed (through diet and used up by your body) results in weight loss!

Muscle building---> Having more muscles makes your body naturally burn more calories per day. But you have to build these slowly as muscle hypertrophy (growth) is a result of damage and healing I think. So you need to have rest days!

What you eat ---> This has a HUGE effect on how your body runs. For instance, eating a high fiber diet keeps you regular, and naturally cleanses the colon... eating chips wouldn't have that sort of effect. Natural sugars are easily digestable, whereas process sugars and junky stuff take a toll on the body (and have toxins in them!), which won't allow it to run at it's optimum levels!

Like I said, I'm not a doctor. But I'm a person who has changed their lifestyle for the better since January. I'm not perfect, I definetly still eat fast food here and there, but I'm more balenced. I exercise 4 times a week (cardio... started with walking and am working up to running) and some weight work. I've lost 62lbs (roughly 1/2 of what I want to) since the start of the year. I've learned a lot from these boards, but always check with a doctor for anything serious!

Hope this helped!!
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    Your peronal trainer should answer all of your questions with good explanation - a good one can be a wealth of information - especially when it comes to your body... its what you pay for in addition to the workout routine!
    People on the forums mean well - but most aren't educated in physiology or anatomy. I am a massage therapist, took physiology AND anatomy for my license and I just cringe at some of the things people say. :noway:
  • angelapiedmont
    Options
    Water is good because of it chemical composition. Two molecules of Hydrogen and one molocule of Oxygen. Water is also considered a universal solvent. Water helps dilute some substances and aids in their movement through the blood stream (getting rid of toxins). Oxygen is good for the blood and Hydrogen is a good binding agent for other molocules. All in all, water makes the body run more efficently. Think of water as being Premium gas, and soda as Regular gas. I think all amino acids require Hydrogen and Oxygen and amino acids are the building blocks of protein (muscle). Hope this helps, Angela