Elliptical/cardio question

Options
So I’m going to start going back to the gym. One issue I’ve had in the past is identifying cardio progress.

I use the elliptical. I honestly just have an irrational hatred of the treadmill, and sitting on a bike for 30min hurts my butt (I’m heavy but it’s not and the combination is not great for biking).

If I were running, or biking, seeing progress would be easy - distance or speed. You can go farther or faster.

What is the best way to determine progress on the elliptical? Same?

I’m not interested in HIIT at the moment, and yes I do have a strength workout as well.

Thanks

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Duration could be one. Level or difficulty could be another.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on your average speed/rate and try to increase your average speed during a session (7.2 mph for 30 min instead of 6.8 mph for 30 min) or how long you can maintain a certain speed (6.8 mph for 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes). Or you can just try to increase the amount of calories the machine says you burn during a session. I don't trust the calorie estimates on gym machines at all, but they are consistent with themselves so give you a good metric to focus on as far as improvements go. That's what I did on the elliptical anyways.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Even though the number of calories burned on those types of machines are notoriously wrong (usually WAY too high) they could be a good indicator of progress.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Being able to do longer on it will show you are progressing.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The elliptical I use seems best to look for changes in calories and going to the next level. When I am on the machine for say 40 minutes in a steady state, the distance does not change much. I guess I am moving at 100-110 steps per minute and that gets me only so far. As I have moved the difficulty level up, calories burned increase and I know I am working harder because the level is higher. I seem to be able to rely on "calories burned" as a measure of the total effort. Not that I believe the calorie number for my eating habits. :)
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I never thought of looking at calories burned but it’s a really good idea.

Related note - higher speed or higher intensity? I’m looking to improve endurance (be less winded when walking uphill, etc).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    Even though the number of calories burned on those types of machines are notoriously wrong (usually WAY too high) they could be a good indicator of progress.

This is what I do, too. I know the calorie-burned number isn't accurate, but I keep track of it so that next time I do that same machine I can beat that number. Whether that requires increasing the speed, intensity, or both I do whatever it takes to beat my last number.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Your increased cadence or speed is also a good indicator.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Increase speed or intensity/resistance, don't increase both at the same time yet. Either will increase your stamina. Increasing resistance might translate into better endurance on hills, but elliptical=/=walking.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My advice is the opposite of everyone else. Don't use the elliptical to gauge your progress. Use how you feel in everyday situations. It's walking up a flight of stairs easier? If so, you're improving.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy to measure increases on the elliptical - duration, speed, and level you can sustain for X amount of time.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to keep doing the elliptical as often as you go and every day on your way out try a different machine. Even if it is just for 2 mins or 5 mins, try a stair machine, rower, etc... You may just find one you like and that would be a great sign of progress to have a second go to machine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

Especially on an elliptical, this is the way to tack total aerobic work performed and progress.

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am not sure if all ellipticals have this read out. But I go by strides/min and total strides. For warm-up I go 100-120 s/m and then as fast as I can, usually 155-165 for a couple mins, and then back down to 130-140 for a minute and repeat minus the warm-up for the duration of my time on it. I then use the total strides to compare to previous workouts. Sometimes I do the "higher intensity part" for more minutes at a time and that adds to my total strides.

ETA: I like the elliptical because I can control the numbers with my movements vs the numbers controlling my movements like on the treadmill...if that makes sense.