Calisthenics. Will I build muscle?

Options
I have pretty severe arthritis. I used to lift weights, but it's impossible for me at this time since I need wrist surgery. I still want to continue working out though. Will body weight exercises help? Will i be able to gain some muscle?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If done at sufficient intensity/resistance (and with the proper diet), yes... body weight work can be very effective.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You might have issues doing Calisthenics if you need wrist surgery however. Pretty much all upper body movements are going to involve the wrist. Pullups, pushups, dips, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Assuming that the wrist injury doesn't hinder you and you're eating a sufficient number of calories / enough protein yes, you can get stronger and gain/retain lean muscle mass with body weight exercises bu not to the same extent you could with weights.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Swimming is great! I wish I could do it more. Unfortunately, I also have psoriasis and chlorine is really rough on it. I can only swim in salt water pools which I don't have access to.

Also, thank you all for the replies. I'm just gonna focus on lower body and abs for now since I don't want to irritate my wrist any further. I've been doing calisthenics a few times a week with resistance bands no problem. I'm not expecting to gain a bunch of muscle from this. I was just wondering if I was wasting my time. I was going crazy just resting!