Keto?

Options
Anyone else doing keto? I'm just starting it. I'm over 50, and I want to lose 75 pounds. Looking for some diet buddies. Thought we could support one another, and maybe commiserate when we're having a bad day.

Replies

• jakemcdaneld
    jakemcdaneld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, Kim! I started keto just a few days ago and I'm currently going what I like to think is carb-withdrawal. I'm a little shakey and everything carb-heavy looks absolutely delicious right now. It's been pretty tough so far, so be prepared for a lot of dedication. I'm looking to lose about 15-20lbs of body fat and gain 10+lbs of muscle mass.

Our goals are different, but the struggle will be the same. I hear a lot of the problem with keto is that folks tend to get out of ketosis even if you cheat for just one snack, so for this diet it's all or nothing. If you don't maintain ketosis when eating a fat-saturated diet, it can lead to bad dietary situations.

I've been researching something called TKD (targeted ketogenic diet) which is where an hour prior to an intense workout you consume 20g of carbs. The food shouldn't contain fructose, however. This helps promote muscle growth as well as intense bursts of energy when required.

I'm really quite new to this, but if you have any questions, I can regurgitate what I've already researched!
  • zoila6796
    zoila6796 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto. Currently on day 3
  • KatherineBailey623
    KatherineBailey623 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Day 5 of Keto diet here! Every carb I see looks incredible! Are you all counting total or net carbs?
  • zoila6796
    zoila6796 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m not craving anything yet but i feel the keto flu coming in. You should count net carbs. Ive heard anything under 10 per day is not good. Can someone share what they have been eating for carbs. I’m struggling to get my carbs in. Not sure if i have many options
  • lyndaribardo
    lyndaribardo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    God Bless all of u! This is a tough diet if ur a carb junkie like me. But it is day 23 and I've lost 20 lbs but haven't really gotten my sugar under control for my diabetes. My knees, back and feet hurt so losing 50-60 lbs would be a blessing. I have what they call ketosis flu...yea feeling icky for the past 4 days. Vitamin B12 and I gota get moving. Good luck u guys!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ketu flu is caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Increase your salt levels and you should feel better.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    For Keto "flu", I have tried a few things .... Coconut water mixed with Orange PowerAde Zero, PowerAde Zero mixed with water, snack on pork rinds or an ounce of OJ with 3 saltines have all worked for me.
  • sashaboyd6498
    sashaboyd6498 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting Keto today, March 1, 2018. We are only eating between the hours of 12 pm - 9 pm. We have just now, before I started writing this, consumed our first meal of two eggs each and 4 slices of bacon. We are mostly home all day because I'm not employed and my husband is a self-employed graphic designer. We emptied our entire cabinets and fridges of EVERY single item NOT Keto friendly. About $250.+ worth of groceries went to our kids. And we filled our larder back up with ingredients needed to follow Week 1 of menus from Ruled.Me, a free fabulous Keto lifestyle website. Much of what we bought is an expensive initial investment but will last way beyond week 1; like coconut flour, almond flour, lots of additional spices, nuts, seeds, butters, etc. I want to lose 75 lbs. and my husband needs to lose about 10 lbs. but his belly needs to lose inches and we both need to GAIN overall better health by eliminating processed foods and sugar. We are on our way! Here we go! Thank you in advance to anyone who wants to be an encourager.
  • TishMarie86
    TishMarie86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto for a month strong now. I get my carbs from veggies mostly. Green beans mostly but I also like to use onions for flavor when I cook and those carry quite a few carbs. I try to put some carbs into each meal and balance them out through the day so that no meal is too carb heavy. We replace pasta with zucchini noodles, we use cauliflower for rice, and you can find low carb bread if you need bread in your life like I do :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    zoila6796 wrote: »
    I’m not craving anything yet but i feel the keto flu coming in. You should count net carbs. Ive heard anything under 10 per day is not good. Can someone share what they have been eating for carbs. I’m struggling to get my carbs in. Not sure if i have many options

Have some vegetables or nuts. Or cheese.

My current diet is close to keto, but I am not monitoring for it. Vegetables, nuts and dairy keep me right above the oft cited 50g max for keto.
  • delena_indar
    delena_indar Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Add me. Would be nice if there's a group of us checking in, seeing how we did and giving recommendations to each other.
  • Fat2Fit2Fat2Fit2018
    Fat2Fit2Fat2Fit2018 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    40 days in over 20lbs lost and almost 30" overall
  • onefootfoward1
    onefootfoward1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like I've been doing keto for 6 months and have lost 23 kilo I was diagnosed with rehmatoid arthritis a few years ago my son inlaw told me how he had read about this for people with inflammation well happy to say gone from obese to overweight have only got 3 kg to be in healthy weight range I have gone into remission and no longer have fortnightly injections of humeria or no longer take methotrexate medication free
  • mirelazurbageanu
    mirelazurbageanu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! This is my 4th day of keto. I eat between 11am-7pm maximum 3 meals, then I have a pause of 16hours until the next meal. It is 8-16 hours intermittent fasting.
  • Aydree16
    Aydree16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto now for 2 months and I'm down 25lb...crabings are minimal and I love making new and fun recipes