Losing Tummy Fat

Options
Hey guys,

So I'm back on the fitness track ( after a 6 year "break") and have lost 20 lbs after my first 45 days or so. That said, I'm having a really difficult time getting rid of my tummy fat.

I've primarily been rotating Push / Pull / Legs routines for my workouts but haven't really seen a ton of loss in my tummy.

most things I've read have said working out my abs with tummy fat won't really help but I've noticed the internet is filled with conflicting information when it comes to fitness.

So I'm here in search for some help. Does anyone have any good suggestions for losing fat particular in my belly? Should I increase my cardio, or just keep doing what I'm doing and the results will eventually show?

Replies

• ketome19
    ketome19 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hey check out jim stopponi diet 101 and cardio acceleration
  • Polybius1981
    Polybius1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll take a look!
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, weight loss will just happen gradually. You can't target what spots you lose weight in first, and eventually you'll see fat loss in your stomach. I didn't start losing in my stomach until after my arms and back fat started to go. Just stay patient and you'll lose the gut eventually
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey guys,

So I'm back on the fitness track ( after a 6 year "break") and have lost 20 lbs after my first 45 days or so. That said, I'm having a really difficult time getting rid of my tummy fat.
    That's mostly because the midsection is where men genetically tend to store fat - and it's often the most stubborn and the last to come off. Do a Google search for "Android fat distribution".

I've primarily been rotating Push / Pull / Legs routines for my workouts but haven't really seen a ton of loss in my tummy.

most things I've read have said working out my abs with tummy fat won't really help but I've noticed the internet is filled with conflicting information when it comes to fitness.
    The "most things you've read" are correct. It's not possible to spot reduce fat, and while workouts will build the muscles beneath the fat, they'll do nothing to eliminate the fat itself. Fat is inert, has no contractile properties and can't be exercised.

So I'm here in search for some help. Does anyone have any good suggestions for losing fat particular in my belly? Should I increase my cardio, or just keep doing what I'm doing and the results will eventually show?
    You lose fat via caloric deficit (eating less than you burn) - by whatever means you accomplish that. Cardio can help create the deficit, but neither cardio or weight training will help you selectively remove the fat from your midsection/abdominal area. You just have to keep losing weight until you get to your desired bodyfat level. Strength training and adequate protein intake will help you preserve lean body mass during the process, but it comes down to calories to lose the fat.

Here's a good read for you (surprised nobody has linked it yet): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Garnica2018
    Garnica2018 Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For me 1 hr of planks has been working better than any other thing. Although I have not been able to lose any weight even I eath healthy and do tons of cardiovascular
  • Polybius1981
    Polybius1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the help!