Average Bicep size?

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not sure what exact average your looking for exactly.

Mine are 17" but I don't train them directly on purpose. They get ridiculously big even for a 6'3" 240lb male. I have had them a little over 20" when I played football for a living.
  • 1morris_muscle
    1morris_muscle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jenandjoon wrote: »
    I’ve gained 7lbs. I also haven’t measured my BF for about a month so it’s possible that it went up 2%.

I’m doing low reps and heavy weight

Ok so first. Not all muscle groups respond the same to low reps heavy weight. Some people have different ratios between fast and slow twitch fibres within givin muscle groups. Therefore since your not making the progress you want try changing it up. Hit your arms with say a set of 20-25, then a set of 10-15 and maybe one heavy set of 6-8. I know may people (myself included) that spent years doing heavy bench press but never got real good pec gains til i switched to a bit higher reps and consentrated on feeling the muscle and squeezing. Its worth a shot.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think for an average size woman who is fairly fit, a 12" bicep is pretty good. A lot of men are around 14"-15", 18" is big for a man. Mine are currently 19 3/4", they were 20 1/2" last year. They generally run around the 20" mark. My goal is a 21" bicep this year.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Ugh. You ladies are making me feel fat. 10?? I've never had a 10 inch arm in my life.

You are all making me feel tiny and wimpy! :'(
    Ugh. You ladies are making me feel fat. 10?? I've never had a 10 inch arm in my life.

Answer me honestly. Do you want to be big? You MUST enjoy being and staying lean, even with the amount of food you get to eat. Being fluffy and working hard not to be fat, sucks.

I want to be more muscular, yes. This is why me bulks. Do I want to be huge, no, am I going to get huge, no. Do I think you are huge, no way. You look amazing, but I could never look like you even if I spent at least a decade bulking, just the way my body composition and distribution is. Even when I am at my heaviest from pregnancy about to give birth, my arms stay the same, it's like fat doesn't hang out there. When I gain fat/weight it goes all to my lower body and love handles.

Answer me honestly. Do you want to be big? You MUST enjoy being and staying lean, even with the amount of food you get to eat. Being fluffy and working hard not to be fat, sucks.

I want to be more muscular, yes. This is why me bulks. Do I want to be huge, no, am I going to get huge, no. Do I think you are huge, no way. You look amazing, but I could never look like you even if I spent at least a decade bulking, just the way my body composition and distribution is. Even when I am at my heaviest from pregnancy about to give birth, my arms stay the same, it's like fat doesn't hang out there. When I gain fat/weight it goes all to my lower body and love handles.

But you're bulking...do you do much direct arm work?

Whatever is written in my program (3x per week) plus an extra upper day. It is not a focus though because my lower body is. I don't dislike my upper body, yes it could be bigger but it isn't like I look in the mirror and get sad about it

Unless you mean direct isolation work, bicep curls? No

Yeah, that's what I meant. Then you must be happy having slim arms. I get it.

Mine grew when I was doing a ton of bro isolation work while injured. I don't LOVE them but it's also become addictive. Like..I'm afraid not to do all my bicep work and I love the pump too. Who am I?

Haha nothing wrong with chasing the pump ;)

See I'm happy until I take measurements, so that's why I typically hate measuring. It's just disappointing all around.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

After 3 months of being at 9, today my biceps are at a whopping 9.5. :s

Can I borrow some of yours?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

9? That's like my wrist
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

9.5 is awesome. Great growing.

Cheers, h.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Keep working, you're doing great!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

It can take awhile but the guns will grow!

I'm also sorry about the "my wrist" thing. I thought I was joking around but I wasn't really thinking straight.
  • sardelsa
    Options

You are doing so amazing. I know how hard you work and how far you have come.. keep up the great work
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My biceps are above average, I only know this because I can't fit my arms into a lot of women's shirts. I think it's mostly genetics, because I am not actively trying to make my arms huge. My calves also don't fit into many boots. I am not all that muscular (I mostly do cardio), and I'm not overweight (size 6-8). That being said, I can't say size alone means all that much.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    My biceps are above average, I only know this because I can't fit my arms into a lot of women's shirts. I think it's mostly genetics, because I am not actively trying to make my arms huge. My calves also don't fit into many boots. I am not all that muscular (I mostly do cardio), and I'm not overweight (size 6-8). That being said, I can't say size alone means all that much.

Athletic women definitely have it much harder than athletic men for clothing fit. Designers still haven't come around to the fact that many women actually have decent muscle.
  • jenandjoon
    jenandjoon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don’t know about anyone else, but once I started a new program for my arms doing pyramid sets, I noticed growth and I was able to lift an additional 10 pds in 2 weeks. I’m finally up to 30 lb dumbbells per arm. Woot woot! What does everyone else do?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jenandjoon wrote: »
    I don’t know about anyone else, but once I started a new program for my arms doing pyramid sets, I noticed growth and I was able to lift an additional 10 pds in 2 weeks. I’m finally up to 30 lb dumbbells per arm. Woot woot! What does everyone else do?

Pyramid sets are the staple of my program.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I need to up my game because I work "arms" once a week and have to force myself through it.

My right arm flexed was 14.8" back in 2015. :/ I guess I need to measure again sometime.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Hypertrophy/size is not a great gauge of strength really, and women's size is going to be on average a little less anyways even for a similar strength for a guy's. Also, your triceps are going to influence the measurement of circumference too remember, sometimes more depending on what you do...
  • Hamsibian
    Options

It can take awhile but the guns will grow!

I'm also sorry about the "my wrist" thing. I thought I was joking around but I wasn't really thinking straight.

Awwwww don't feel bad! I was joking too because we're the complete opppsites. I thought your comment was funny because my sister (who is my best friend and biggest supporter) makes comments like that often. :)

Keep working, you're doing great!

You are doing so amazing. I know how hard you work and how far you have come.. keep up the great work

Thanks so much to all of you! I have learned a lot from MFP, especially on this board. Even though I don't post often, I read tons, and you all helped tremendously.

I'm much healthier, but the vain side of me expected them to be bigger by now. I suppose I'm the odd non competitive woman that initially wanted more on arms/upper body first before anywhere else. :D i will keep going, that's for sure!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    16% bf is high. You said, you on a bulk. Go on the cut. Once bf% goes to 10 at least you would be ready. Single digit bf% ideal. Not too low unless you competing plus it won't look good. It will be toned, with definition.

OP is female
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    The OP is female. I believe she is fine for bf%. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it around ~20%?