New & Young, and a little clueless

Options
I just started yesterday with my calorie counting. I already lost one pound. I feel a little forced my mom that is a nurse that is supporting me and going through the same thing. I guess it's a reality check. I am not to far from my weight goal. I am trying to change my lifestyle. I use to be very active I was a swimmer and a pretty much a athlete. After college my eating started with fast food and my sports practice became hours of studying. I am still in college so if you have any advice in balancing work, school, and eating right, and a little excerise please help me out. It is hard changing for eating whatever to consuming a set amount of calories and keeping up with it. It is nice to see the pounds slowing come off though. I am really liking my new fitnesspal though. Hope to have ya'lls support! But thanks to my mom I have support and someone to keep me on track so not to forced!

Thank guys...

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    While not a college student, but I'm young, a mom of 2, and in the military. Here are a few tips I can think of: workout in the AM, before you classes, that way you get it "out of the way" and don't have to worry about fitting it in later. Try planning your meals in advance, do your grocery shopping on the weekend and cook/portion everything out for the week or if it's perishble items, do it nightly before you go to bed. It shouldn't take too long, but can save you time during your busy day.

You'll get the hang of it the longer you do it :)
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In college, it always helped me to work out with my roommates and it's soooo hard to eat right on campus, so I would do really well 6 days a week and then pick one day to eat whatever and get my cravings out of the way :) Good luck, you can do it!!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome :)
  • Lexiehsub76
    Options
    Welcome to MFP....Feel Free to add me as a friend and for support at anytime!!! May God Bless and Good Luck!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    In college, it always helped me to work out with my roommates and it's soooo hard to eat right on campus, so I would do really well 6 days a week and then pick one day to eat whatever and get my cravings out of the way :) Good luck, you can do it!!!

I agree with the above whole heartedly. Commit yourself to eating at home 6 days a week and leave one day open to eat reasonably,but out.

Also, if you drink alcohol, watch those calories, they add up quickly. Try alternating one glass of water with one alcoholic drink when you go out.

And try to walk everywhere, if you are on a college campus, this is relatively easy - sounds simple, but I noticed a difference when I would drive vs. walk from my off campus apartment. Oh to be young again,......an oh to realize I've been fighting this battle so long that 15 years later I remember what I was doing in college to fight it!
  • Snicksitis
    Options
    Hi, I'm a junior in college. Freshman year I gained 15 pounds and its because I was an athlete in highschool and stopped in college. I missed athletics so I joined my schools club rugby team which was a lot of fun and forced me to work out daily. I don't play anymore but now I excercise in the morning before classes or between classes. Even if you only have a half hour between classes you can go to the gym and squeeze in a quick run. I bring my sneakers and clothes with me to campus. I also carry around healthy snacks that I pack the night before so I'm not tempted to eat bad when I'm on campus. Good luck you can do it! feel free to add!