Weight Loss Pessimist

Options
This is abnormal for me since I am a natural optimist but..
If I weigh myself everyday I obsess over the scale and go overboard, so I decided to only weigh and measure myself every Sunday. But for some reason by Tuesday I become convinced I am not losing weight for some reason and I ALWAYS end up weighing myself Wednesday. I've actually found my biggest drop in weight is from Sunday to Wednesday, and it only changes slightly before the next Sunday. And by Friday/Saturday I start wondering if Wednesday was a fluke and Sunday's will be higher :huh: so I have to fight the urge to check it again.So after observing this for over a month I STILL find myself convinced today that nothing is happening, even though I know that I've been proven wrong every week so far, and I've had great results. In fact, I'm probably losing weight a little too fast (3-4 lbs a week). Anyone else a weight loss pessimist? :tongue:
What I try to remember when I feel that way is that, even if I am not losing any weight by eating better and exercising, I certainly wasn't losing weight eating pizza and drinking beer :drinker:

Replies

• overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am. I weigh myself every morning, and whenever the scale goes down I say THAT'S NOT RIGHT. Let's say I weigh in on Monday and the scale tells me I weigh 20 lbs (go with it) which is a two lb loss from last week when I weighed in at 22. Do I update MFP? Nope. I wait until Friday when I weigh in at 18 lbs, and update MFP to say that I weigh 20 lbs. I'm weird, I know.
  • jaysus
    jaysus Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm the same way. I weigh myself about 3 times per week. It's usually the same, except on Saturdays it's a little higher than on Monday and Wednesday. I don't obsess about it too much (LIES!! :) ), as I also take measurements. As long as those change in the right spots, I'm cool with it.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I had to have my roommate hide the scale. I now weigh once a month at a friends house. It was getting out of hand to be honest. The number would dictate how the rest of my day went :(
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    If I weigh myself fewer than three times in a day, it's weird. I think it helps me take the small, temporary gains less seriously to see how much fluctuation there actually is. At least, that's what I tell myself.
    Also, when it is going the wrong way, I remind myself that even if the number isn't shrinking, eating better and moving more IS improving my health in other, less measurable, but far more important ways. Sometimes it even helps. :smile:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale! It is the devil. Its a Sugar Coated Satan Sandwich!
    Give it to a friend to hold for you, if you must....
    I think there is an anonymous group for scale addicts.
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lol, someone follows the news =)
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I found an easy solution - I broke the scale at home and won't buy another. So the only place I can weight myself right now is at the gym... so if I'm going to get on the scale every day I'll have to go to the gym and I might as well workout when I'm there.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Breaking the scale works. I broke my TV once and went without for five years, until some well meaning person gave me one, but that's another addiction....