Help with Parents

Options
hoyemi000
hoyemi000 Posts: 2 Member
I still live with my parents and I want to lose weight. I don't really want to tell them that so they keep making/buying unhealthy foods. Since I'm still young, I don't have a job so I can't just move out and buy my own food. Without telling them, or anyone else, how do I keep to a diet with foods they don't normally buy?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    Food is food. Count the calories you eat.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Can you get a job? What are your stats?

I don't understand the not telling them because they'll keep buying unhealthy things. I'm guessing it will be no different then before? What's the real reason for not telling them?

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You'd have to steal it, but I don't advice that. To lose weight, all you have to do, is eat less. You can eat less of any food. No foods are unhealthy (or healthy), by the way.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I live in a house with a husband who is bigger than I am and likes a lot of different things than I do. I also live with a 15 year old son and 17 year old daughter. Neither of them need to lose weight and they like cookies, pretzels, frozen pizzas etc. We have ice cream in the freezer, beer in the garage and all sorts of other things that might be high in calories etc. I eat exactly what I want from all of that stuff and stick to my calorie goal. I don't talk about it, I just do it. If your parents serve you rich and creamy macaroni and cheese, just eat a small portion. If they serve meat and potatoes and you don't want the potatoes, just eat the meat and politely decline the potatoes. This is great practice for the rest of your life, when you eat in restaurants or at other people's houses or when you have a family and they all have different likes and needs. You can do it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

Offer to cook and have some input into what food is bought each week?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Portion control.
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It would be much better to discuss this with your parents. If you do need to lose weight won't they want to help you? You sound very young, and it is not a good idea to be secretive about your eating, which anyway would surely cause you stress. Try sharing your worries with them if possible. If not, maybe speak to a trusted adult.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hard to help when you have an unknown age and weight. Are you, in fact, overweight by the bmi?
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you think they will be unsupportive if you talk to them and share your goal? I think if you are open about what you hope to accomplish it would be best. You would, hopefully have folks willing to help you to reach your goals.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My friend's stepson is a teenager and he dropped the weight he wanted to lose, just eating smaller portions of the food they buy and serve (mostly JUNK in my opinion...I try not to demonize food but they eat mostly fast food, frozen pizza, pot pies, snack cakes, etc). He doesn't drink soda at all anymore which helped him drop weight immediately. Their family is made up of gamers who love Mountain Dew and he just drinks water now.

If I had to guess, I would say he's about 5'7" and went from probably 180+ lb to 155-160 lb. His exercise is just walking to the bus stop 2 blocks away & walking around the neighborhood. I was impressed when I saw his progress, because he told me and my husband (who have both lost large amounts of weight) what he wanted to do and we hoped he would be able to do it, knowing his dad & stepmom weren't gonna buy special food or be much help to him. I have seen him eat 1/2 frozen pizza and then turn down ice cream. Or insist on ONE pot pie with a little scoop of mashed potatoes, instead of the 4 pot pies apiece that his dad and skinny brother have for dinner.

Sometimes parents (like his) mean well but don't know a lot about how to lose weight. My friend (his stepmom) starved herself, drank protein shakes only, and went to Curves everyday to lose about 10 lb and then gained back 50.

• hoyemi000
    hoyemi000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! That is exactly the position I am in
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Even though your parents are buying the food, perhaps you could go along to the grocery store and pick out some things? My mom did the bulk of the shopping and was always willing to bring home things we requested - within reason of course.

Best of luck!

~Lyssa