Reached goal but now failing to maintain

Options
I reached my goal a few weeks ago and have been maintaining within a couple of pounds of my goal for the last couple of months or so. However, I now seem to have a serious dose of the munchies and consequently I am gaining again. Will power is lacking a bit. Have others gone through this personal hump?

Richard

Replies

• ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's why its a "Lifestyle Change", not a Diet. Diets end, you need to continue the work that got you here!!!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!!! I reached my goal weight in September of last year, and have been successfully maintaining since then. BUT, I am now experiencing binges - which I have NEVER had before I reached my goal weight. I'm still struggling to figure out how to contain these episodes. Haven't found the magic button just yet...
  • mik1e
    mik1e Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile:

Stick with the original plan including writing intake down and drinking enough water! Less than 4 % of all "weight losers"
    maintain the weight loss for more than a year!!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's really difficult to stay on track , but you've done amazingly well so far. Pop a photo of the old you, and one of the new you on the cake tin/ fridge to remind yourself what a star you are, and how well you've done. Keep going, well done.
  • mik1e
    mik1e Posts: 5
    Options
    Absolutely correct
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!!! I reached my goal weight in September of last year, and have been successfully maintaining since then. BUT, I am now experiencing binges - which I have NEVER had before I reached my goal weight. I'm still struggling to figure out how to contain these episodes. Haven't found the magic button just yet...

I am in the exact same position as you. So frustrating. I am about 5 lbs over my goal weight and am stuck right now trying to lose them again.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Although I had to stop cutting calories because I'm pregnant, I instantly went "the other way" as soon as I found out- eating WAY more than I should, and not all the correct food choices, either! I got within 7 pounds of my final goal before finding out I was pregnant, and even at that point, was very nervous about maintanence. I decided that I'll keep logging, no matter how many calories I'm over, just to be able to look back and see why the weight might fluctuate- keep working out, too- I know how you love your cross trainer! Also, I get the munchies all the time- just see if you can switch to munching on things that are healthier and/or have fewer calories. I often want something crunchy to chew on, but am not really hungry, so I'm going to try some apple cinnamon rice cakes rather than my favorite Cheetos, Cheez Its, or pretzels. Also, chewing spearmint gum really helps me, because NOTHING goes with that flavor, and makes it harder for you to have cravings.... I also like Edy's fruit popsicles- the big ones only have 80 calories, and they are GOOD! Good luck to you- I know you can do it! ~Khrys
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal a few weeks ago and have been maintaining within a couple of pounds of my goal for the last couple of months or so. However, I now seem to have a serious dose of the munchies and consequently I am gaining again. Will power is lacking a bit. Have others gone through this personal hump?

Richard
    You have discovered the thing that most people who have lost weight have the most problem with... keeping it off. Your goal weight was not the destination, it's the start of the rest of your journey.

You need to keep doing the things that helped you to lose the weight the first time and that includes tracking your food, keeping under your daily calorie goal and rediscovering the willpower to get through the munchies. I applaud that you're still weighing yourself. It's only by tracking your current weight that you can ensure that you're not slowly gaining back the weight you worked so hard to lose.