Weight Loss And Depression

Options
anl90
anl90 Posts: 928 Member
Hi all,

So I am someone who battles with chronic depression, amongst other mental illnesses. I always do well for a while, and then my depression or anxiety or whatever start taking over, making me go right back into my unhealthy habits. Are there any others in the same boat, and if so do you have any suggestions? I am just really feeling hopeless. Thanks in advance, y'all. <3

Replies

• anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You all are so awesome, thank you for the input! I am currently working with my psychiatrist to get set up with a therapist, so I hope that helps. And I think the fact that there is no snow on the ground anymore will help motivate me to start walking again. I am just such a Debbie Downer about everything in life. It sucks. lol
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with anxiety and depression. you are not alone
  • shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I am someone who battles with chronic depression, amongst other mental illnesses. I always do well for a while, and then my depression or anxiety or whatever start taking over, making me go right back into my unhealthy habits. Are there any others in the same boat, and if so do you have any suggestions? I am just really feeling hopeless. Thanks in advance, y'all. <3

No suggestions, I struggle with this also. Hugs.
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have bipolar depression and anxiety. I am just coming through a long bout, but got really good therapy and medication and am starting to get my motivation back to start logging, and start trying again. I don't have any good advice besides maybe talk to a therapist and start getting some good cognitive based exercises you can do when you are emotionally down. I have been listening to mindfulness/body scan in the evenings as I lie in bed because of the anxiety makes sleep difficult... my mind goes in a million directions. That has been a positive thing. Try to go for a walk when you are really down. It sounds cliche, but getting fresh air and concentrating on nature or your surroundings can lift you up. Medication has been a really big help for me as well. Good luck... being depressed really sucks, and sometimes hard for people to understand. I think logging and trying to stick to your plan can be uplifting too. I have been limiting my sugar and feel like I feel a difference in my attitude and energy level.
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I struggle with anxiety and depression too. I've been afraid lately that I'll give up on weight loss next time my depression gets really bad again because that's part of what's stopped me from reaching my goals in the past. I'm working on getting mental health help, making sustainable lifestyle changes that hopefully I can keep up to some extent even if things get bad again, and making sure my body is getting what it needs (water, movement, vit D etc).

The above advice all seems really helpful. Best of luck to everyone <3
  • JaneQP
    JaneQP Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    B vitamin complex and zinc and cutting out all added sugar helps my anxiety and depression considerably.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have major depression disorder and it got easier to avoid that cycle for me once I was on the right med (for me, Trintellix). I don't really have days where I get quite as low anymore. But I also have a notebook with inspirational messages in it that I turn to when I need a boost. OK, my husband brings the notebook to me and makes me look at it. Or I blast some of my favorite music and just chill to it until I am feeling a little better. Or read a book to one of my kids - that usually perks me up, bc we snuggle on the bed while we read.
  • gevaisa
    gevaisa Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ooooh gurl yes, i suffer from depression + anxiety + other mental illnesses. the only way i've been able to cope so far is to only restrict calories. any type of exercise is not feasible when i'm in my bad spells, so i've stocked my fridge with frozen vegetables/fruits and canned/dry goods in the pantry. i also keep a jug of water next to my bed. my depression meals consist of like, avocado toast or ramen with a bunch of veggies. that way i'm not trying to fill the void by eating junk food/ordering out. it's been a bit comforting actually knowing i have one (1) thing i can control in my life right now. when i have the motivation i go on walks and listening to podcasts. having a friend to drag you out of the house is helpful, and trying to go outside as often as possible is the goal.

i've added you as well! solidarity ✊
  • katyisacat
    katyisacat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to be another person to reach out and let you know you're not alone. Mental illness is a huge part of the reason I let things get so far and kept up unhealthy habits. Now I'm trying to learn to cope with that and live a healthy lifestyle at the same time. I sent you a friend request in case you're interested in some support from someone who knows a lot about what you're going through. ❤️
  • cedhome
    cedhome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from depression, anxiety and ptsd. I have the same issues, good for a few days then depression amps up and I fall back into old habits. It is good to know I'm not alone now. Hope to try some of your suggestions.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Gut health is linked to overall good health and is particularly linked to mental health.
    I take a Probiotic tablet daily, brew my own Kombucha (Fermented tea, eat Greek yoghurt and sauerkraut.
    This creates good but bacteria and a high fibre diet feeds the bacteria.
    Self love and self care is so important.
    Take this journey a step at a time and a day at a time.