I HATE exercising! Is it really necessary?

Options
Am I the only one who feels this way?

I know that everyone says important to exercise and do cardio or whatever but I just can't do it. I don't want to do it, everything hurts, and I don't have time for it.

tenor.gif

I'm fine with sticking to caloric deficit and IF, I've lost 16 kg (35 lbs) since January 8th but I still see no major difference on my body. I see other people who've lost the same amount of weight as I have but they have worked out as well, so they have banging bodies.

I hate my muffin top, I hate my extra thick thighs (I'm fine with my booty tho) and I want to get rid of all that fat, but I guess the only way for that would be through exercise? I still walk and do them stepz though, from 5-12k a day. However, I don't want to run, I don't want to go to the gym and pay knowing that I won't use it because I'm extra insecure.

Anyone who's had similar experiences? What do I do?

tumblr_mmqykm7uiz1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    you might look into at home workouts. There’s a lot out there on YouTube for free, and even more if you’re willing to shell out some cash money.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Oh, but no it’s not necessary for weight loss.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would start looking at exercise differently find something you like to do that is sudo exercise. I found I love going on hikes in the woods physically demanding but fun. Do you have to exercise no but exercise builds lean muscle which helps long term with maintaining and overall health. If it is going to the gym you hate keep looking for other ways to exercise you don't have to do 30-60 minutes in the gym daily 15 mins here and there at home all add up.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You seem to have expectations. So you know what you have to do. Good luck.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, but is still very important for your overall health. Exercise comes in many different forms, find something that you enjoy doing! It could be riding a bike, walking, hiking, swimming, rock climbing, running, weight lifting, crossfit.....so much more. It's not always performed in a gym.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I honestly rarely do cardio because I hate it. On nice days, I'll take my dogs for a 2 mile walk, but that's as much as I get. I started doing more HIIT workouts with some lifting and I'm really enjoying it.

Try out different things. You may find something you like. If not, there's always dancing in your underwear.

P.S. Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too. I am working on losing weight but cutting calories. It is slow going but I am losing. I just can't make myself do it. I do enjoy walking but deliberate walking for a reason. I have been walking more at work and walking around the malls near me.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,115 Member
    Options
    Sure it makes you sore at first especially if you overdo it. That will go away! Guaranteed. And you will feel so amazing even starting off easy. Move while you watch any episode, walk while listening to music or audio books - it can be simple and still help you feel great.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Can you join a class? I am like you: I hate exercise and sports. Hate them! But I found a class at the Y with an instructor I adore and the people in the class have become my friends. Going to the Y is social and healthy! Good luck!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    funny how people are different. I love the gym, like another said found friends there and like the group exercise but I am semi retired, so it gives me something to do

• batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm sorry but nothing worth having ever comes easy. Sure you can lose weight doing no exercise, but having low body fat % does not automatically make you healthy and without regular exercise you probably will never be happy with what you see in the mirror.

You dropped 35 pounds without noticing anything because you are probably pulling from both muscle and fat. You'll keep getting smaller measurements, but you probably won't look "fit" when you reach your goal. Without regular exercise and lean muscle mass, the best most people can usually achieve is "skinny fat". Some people get good genetics and have it easier, but I wouldn't count on that.

It is much harder to gain muscle than to lose weight, so you should do everything you can to avoid losing muscle when cutting. That means exercise and lifting regularly for the rest of your life, and especially when you are at a calorie deficiency.

If all you care about is looking good in clothes, then by all means lose the weight by diet alone. Just lower your expectations and don't expect much definition when the clothes come off.
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a whole food plant based diet/lifestyle two months ago and lost 20lbs in two months. I also worked out very hard for two months....I don't think i would have lost as much so soon had i not exercised but i have known people who just lost 20lbs in a year from switching to vegan
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You know walking is exercise right?
  • askinnylegendicon
    askinnylegendicon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You know walking is exercise right?

DSF-Say-It-With-a-Tiffany-Pollard-GIF-second.gif

I never considered it as exercise tbh, but I guess it makes sense! At least I'm not in my bed all day long. It's just frustrating when you don't magically see results :s