Running and working out

Options
netbags18
netbags18 Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi guys iv just started using the Couch to 5K app. Iv done my 1st run/walk which was 25mins. Although I don’t want to over do it, I feel like I haven’t done enough exercise.
My goal is to lose weight. My workout schedule has been all over the shop the past year. Sometimes I go hard for a couple of months then slow down. I haven’t done any exercise in the past 2.5 weeks as iv had stitches in my back.
So anyway I enjoy running so I thought I’d try and get back into it.
My question is do I workout before or after my run? Also if I have run can I do a cardio circuit afterwards or is that too much cardio. Obviously I know I have to add weight training into.

Replies

• mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    To lose weight just eat at a deficit of what you consume. To get fit- run for cardio health and strength train for building muscle and getting stronger.
    That said- go by how you feel. If you feel like you have more in you than do something more- just don’t hurt yourself. It’s not worth it. Oh, and to answer your other question I usually do anything else after my run, because my run is my main focus. Everything else is additional.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Running should be enough. I ran 3 miles at 26 minutes yesterday and I got a great workout! You may find when starting out you should walk run. Like walk a mile run a mile etc for like 4 miles. Should get a good workout in!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Jkowals123 wrote: »
    Running should be enough. I ran 3 miles at 26 minutes yesterday and I got a great workout! You may find when starting out you should walk run. Like walk a mile run a mile etc for like 4 miles. Should get a good workout in!

Nice Pace!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Follow the programme, build up slowly, increase the length of your runs once you've finished c25k
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, at the beginning, C25K may seem over easy. The goal is to establish a consistency of practice (running). It builds up soon enough if you do each of the workouts 3 times. Before you know it, you'll be running 20 minutes straight. As for other exercise -- stretching and strength are complementary to establishing a run routing, but you may want to do other types of working out on the days you don't run -- at least until your routine is established and you can more accurately gauge how running is affecting you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jkowals123 wrote: »

Or follow C25K which is what OP is doing.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you must lift and run on the same day, lift first
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    netbags18 wrote: »
    Hi guys iv just started using the Couch to 5K app. Iv done my 1st run/walk which was 25mins. Although I don’t want to over do it, I feel like I haven’t done enough exercise.
    My goal is to lose weight. My workout schedule has been all over the shop the past year. Sometimes I go hard for a couple of months then slow down. I haven’t done any exercise in the past 2.5 weeks as iv had stitches in my back.
    So anyway I enjoy running so I thought I’d try and get back into it.
    My question is do I workout before or after my run? Also if I have run can I do a cardio circuit afterwards or is that too much cardio. Obviously I know I have to add weight training into.

OP, a note of caution because the bolded statements set off alarms for me. Since you are new to running and your goal is simply to lose weight, there is no need to overdo either the running or the resistance training. That is generally unsustainable and worse case, could lead to injury. You don't want to get injured, since injuries can really set you back.

Your focus on your dietary habits will drive weight loss, and your combination of cardio and resistance training will deliver fitness over time. I would follow the running program and lift weights on alternate days. Finally, remember that rest days are important, too. Good luck.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    netbags18 wrote: »

C25K is a great way to start running. Whether you should do additional exercise depends on what you were doing before. If you've been doing strength training and cardio circuits regularly, there's no reason not to continue them when you're doing C25K. Improvement comes from a combination of stress and rest. C25K workouts increase the stress a little bit from week to week; the 4 rest days each week allow your body to recover from the stress. I wouldn't increase other exercise while doing C25K, and I might ease off on leg training for a bit.

Running is high impact, so the rest is important. You're literally remodeling your weight-bearing bones in the first months of running, so don't overdo it. This article gives a good overview of the adaptations involved when you first start running: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/a-runners-guide-to-connective-tissue