BMI, weight, size, female

Options
Today I decided to weigh myself because I was curious. I am 21, 5'2 ft, and I weigh between 141-143. I'm also a medium body frame and I use to be a skinny fat at around 125-135. I started strength training back in early January and I noticed a dramatic change in my body since before then I'll do nothing but 2-3 hours of cardio and I had no muscle tone or strength. I checked my weight and it says my BMI is considered overweight but I'm by no means fat or even close since I wear a size 3-4 (women's small to xsmall). Would u say it's normal to be this weight, I mean I don't really care about the number anymore and I do feel stronger and leaner. Even my size 3 skirt is now looser and yet my weight continues to go up or maintain. What's your opinion on this.

Replies

• BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Also let me point out that I use to weigh this number and was a size 14-16 (xlarge-xxlarge)
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're likely fine. What happens if you use a calculator that considers measurements as well as weight? Maybe consider waist-to-height ratio.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If youre a size S-XS and you exercise regularly then youre probably healthy, so dont sweat it.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    People mistaken me to weigh between 115-125.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You have nothing to worry about. Go by the mirror instead of the scale...now if I could only follow my own advice.
  • Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue I'm tall 5'9 although a lot people think I'm 5'10" and have an athletic build CW is 185 lbs although everyone says they would've never guessed it. I don't look overweight but let the BMI chart call it and I'm 27.9% which is overweight. I have an hourglass shape and very strong lower body but that chart doesn't take muscle into account. I am working on losing 10 lbs of fat but will probably replace some of that with muscle and will still have that long lean/athletic build. I am starting to accept the box just doesn't fit me and fine by it ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    People mistaken me to weigh between 115-125.

That's so strange to me how you and I are the same weight, but I'm 5 inches taller, and you fit into 3 and 4 and I am a much larger size 8. It seems like it should be the opposite since my BMI is much lower than yours. But since body shapes are so varied, you can't really judge anything by the numbers...We fit what we fit, right?

People often guess that I'm around 125, too, I guess because I look skinny to them, but they're way off. I'm 140. LOL... Most people are really bad judges of weight. A lot of the obese people I know think they are overweight, the overweight people think they are borderline overweight or normal, and everyone thinks the healthy weight people are "so skinny" and "need to eat a cheeseburger." So I don't expect people to really know a weight when they see it. LOL...

It sounds like you are enjoying the effects of strength training. I've been doing it for years, and I love it! Keep it up! If you look good and you're healthy, that's what matters more than sizes and weights. :D
  • fireruler
    fireruler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BMI is notoriously inaccurate as a health measure. If you are primarily fat it can be a good idea to watch but if you are muscle it will stated that you are overweight or obese when you have a very low fat%. When I was in college, I took several exercise science classes and they stated that BMI was useful but highly subjective when it came to body type. If you have mostly muscle and are more lean mass than fat you are golden. If you want to use BMI, make sure that you choose one that takes genders into account. Females have a skewed BMI chart compared to males but most calculators are based off male body types.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't work as well if you are doing strength training and adding muscle.