What's Your Chosen Eating Lifestyle?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't want to use the term diet because people tend to associate that with a way you eat just to lose weight. If that's your purpose, cool, but I just mean how do you choose to eat?

Vegan, Keto, Paleo, Standard American Diet, portion control, etc? For me, I am currently following Keto.
    Things get the meanings people give it. "Diet" can mean some different things, including "what you eat". "Lifestyle change" often morphs in to another definition of "diet" ("more or less prescribed, temporary, way of eating, with the purpose of losing weight"), so I don't like to use that term too much.

Well, I like to say that I eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time. I take care to plan and eat regular, balanced and varied meals, something from each food group every day. I aim to not eat between meals, except for the occasional, moderate, and usually planned, treat. I love to cook, and I make simple and cheap, but tasty and delicious meals. I eat for both nutrition and for pleasure, but not to ease emotions or chase boredom. I weigh myself daily, and use the trend to decide if I need to cut down on amounts and frequency of treats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I eat a variety of foods at a calorie level appropriate level for my goals, considering nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment.
    ^ This. I don't restrict or exclude any food or food group from my diet.

WinoGelato wrote: »
    Curious what your definition of Standard American Diet is since people always use that term but with billions of people in the US from all walks of life I find it hard to imagine much standardization in what people eat...
    I've always found it kind of ridiculous too. As if the diet of urban dwellers in, say, San Francisco or Seattle is anything like that of people living in rural Mississippi or Kentucky.

Yeah, strikes me as goofy too, although I normally think I know what people mean by it (and it's not how I ate, or how my family ate when I was growing up, which was all meat and potatoes and veg and seemed classically midwestern American to me).

Never heard anyone thinking it meant low fat before (as OP stated). Instead, it's normally defined as:

"a modern dietary pattern that is generally characterized by high intakes of red and processed meat, butter, fried foods, high-fat dairy products, eggs, refined grains, potatoes, and high-sugar drinks."

Also:

"The typical American diet is about 50% carbohydrate, 15% protein, and 35% fat.... However, the nutritional quality of the specific foods comprising those macronutrients is often poor...."

Here's a more detailed discussion of what those talking negatively about the SAD usually mean: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/chapter-2/current-eating-patterns-in-the-united-states/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    As for the question, I don't really think how I eat is a "lifestyle" or that my "lifestyle" is defined by how I eat.

However, my general goals and habits with eating is to try to eat pretty healthfully without getting uptight about it, to watch how much I eat to avoid overeating, and to make certain things about food part of a broader overall lifestyle (I love cooking, and farmers markets, and try to garden, and good restaurants and experimenting with cooking different kinds of foods (current desire is to learn to make some Ethiopian dishes). Also to be active. I mostly eat 2-3 times a day and don't snack between meals (usually,there are exceptions). I like to eat lots of vegetables and fruit and limited meat (mostly fish), and right now am not eating meat at all (Lent).
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Whole foods mostly. I have cut out most processed foods with the exception of one weekly sweet, an occasional protein shake, peanut butter and cottage cheese. Other than that meat, fruit, eggs, and vegetables.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    If I had to put a name to it would just be smart eating. About 1500 calories a day with a 35/30/35 split carbs/fat/protein ratio I always shoot for protein over carbs. If I overshoot a day no biggie, weekly average keep you sain.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't want to use the term diet because people tend to associate that with a way you eat just to lose weight. If that's your purpose, cool, but I just mean how do you choose to eat?

Vegan, Keto, Paleo, Standard American Diet, portion control, etc? For me, I am currently following Keto.

The word diet means what you eat. ;) The food you consume is your diet. Most people have it wrong thinking the word diet means cutting back on what they eat but that's what it's turned in to over the years is diet this or diet that as far as different names of diets.

As far as what my "diet" consists of: I eat what I want but make sure to weigh/measure. I don't follow fads or anything that tells me to restrict foods when I know I can have what I want within reason. I limit fast food or high sodium foods and junky stuff as much as I can. Life is short. Just live it happy.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm vegan but within that I pretty much just eat the foods that I've always enjoyed eating (if it's vegan and I like it, I'll eat it!) and then I track my food on here so that it fits in with my calories and macros. So I suppose diet-wise, moderation/flexible and portion control?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    IIFYM (which is really just an intelligent way to count calories)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member

I eat whatever I want to eat as long is it meets my goals.

So if my goal happens to be to lose a bit of weight, I eat fewer calories than I burn (CICO).

If my goal is to fuel a long distance bicycle ride, I eat what my body tells me to eat. After all these years, it knows what it needs for that sort of thing.
  • MoniqueNegal
    MoniqueNegal Posts: 2 Member
    Vegan + intermittent fasting :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I eat what I want within my calorie and nutritional goals.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I don't know if I chose it or it chose me. My wife developed Fibromyalgia (after I had lost all my weight) and now we're mostly WFPB (Whole Food Plant Based) - no dairy, no gluten. If I could talk her into it, we'd probably go entirely vegan, but she was a meat/potato girl when I met her. We've gone from that to 2 meals of meat in an entire week (and red meat perhaps once a month). While I lost all my weight eating whatever, I do have to admit I feel better now not being so glutinous eating obscene amounts of meat.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm from the US but what is a Standard American Diet?

I try not to eat pork but that has nothing to do with my health. Like most others have said, I try to eat within my calorie allowance. Sometimes (yesterday) I go somewhat far outside of that, but I keep those days to a minimum.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Portion control/calorie counting.

Some have suggested my diet fits the 80/20 rule as well, with 80% being "healthy" food that is low in sodium, high in nutrients, etc. 20% less nutritious and/or "bad stuff" like sweets & junk food and restaurant meals. I find by balancing a little of the bad with a lot of the good I stay on track long-term.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Right now I’m doing “whole30” (I messed up, my dates had dextrose, pesto had cheese and protein nut milk had sugar). I’m following it because I have to cut back on certain foods that may cause bloat because I have a PT test soon... my career rides on it and I can cut out sweets for one months.

How I’ve lost weight before and what I will continue to do after the 30 days is just portion control, and exercise. I’ve learned I need to have a lot of protein to keep full as well.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Mediterranean diet and tracking everything I eat. Also trying to stop eating in front of the computer/TV because I always end up going back for 2nds...then 3rds...