I need Tough Mudder Advice!!!

Options
Hello All,

I just pre-registered for the Tough Mudder in Toronto, August 2012. So, I have over a year to prepare myself. In the past I played rugby for years and I have always considered myself tough, but I have to admit I am a little intimidated. A Tough Mudder is something I have been wanting to do for years now though. Is this something I can get ready for in a year? Has anyone else out there done it and have any pointers/words of encouragement? My plan of action right now is to spend the next 6 months just getting in shape. After that, I want to start phasing in the Mudder specific exercises :) I want to be a Tough Mudder and any advice to help me get there is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    definitely wear some kind of hat to protect your head when you run through those live electric wires, as well as some gloves...the bony parts of your body HURTS when you get electrocuted!! run hills and build up your upper arm strength too.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    wait - what!? electrocuted? have you been convicted of some crime?
  • JadeMarie78
    JadeMarie78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't done Tough Mudder myself but my co-worker did the last one in November. It was tough but he finished and didn't even have much time to "train". He's an active guy but by no means was he spending hours per week training for the event. Our work takes up the majority of our waking hours. With that...you already sound so committed so I KNOW you can do it!! Have fun!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Tough mudder sounds like so much fun, but there is no way I am ready for it yet. Brutal challenge!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for the AZ TM in January. Last January I started training for Warrior Dash that I did this past April. None of the obstacles in that were super tough, but being able to run it was the key. I did it faster than the rest of my friends because I had been running a lot more. I also plan to do Rugged Maniac in November so I can get a better taste of doing water obstacles when it's colder out, but it's still a much shorter event than TM is. TM will be much longer so I think endurance is the key. The obstacles look difficult, but they are also meant to be overcome with teamwork, so keep that in mind. I don't personally know anyone that can get over a 12 foot wall without some assistance even though there are some people out there that can do it.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    wait - what!? electrocuted? have you been convicted of some crime?

Part of the course is running through some massively charged lines. A friend of mine described is as "Pissing on an electric fence"
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As I have never pissed on an electric fence myself I have no idea what that feels like. But hey, they won't actually kill you, right? ;)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I thought about doing it, but I talked to a few people that have done it (people in VERY good shape, and who do 1/2 marathons regularly), they all agree, it's a few miles longer than fun, so I nixed it. That being said, train, train hard, train long, train by doing trail runs, train by doing tempo runs, train by doing agility training, train by doing max fatigue training, and train by doing failure strength training (body weight, and traditional) this is an all around skills challenge, so doing 1 specific training type will be a detriment rather than a help, do many different kinds. On the up side, most of them said that you can generally avoid most of the electrified wires if you're careful, but if you hit them, ouchie.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i completely misread this... i read tough Murder and the electrocution comments went right along with it... too early in the morning i guess

good luck with your challenge.. the fact that your considering it means you really want it... i'm sure you can do it..
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So far, I need a hat, gloves, endurance, and versatility in training (and to possibly go out and piss on an electric fence to see what if feels like). Thanks for the advice!!! It sounds tough but worth it. I'm hoping to get at least one other person to do it with me so that I definitely have a buddy for things like 12 foot walls :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Maybe everyone should say "shocked" since "electrocuted" means you get killed in the process. ;)
  • paulso14
    paulso14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I'm training for the TM Norcal, the next one in September! I've been training since May with strength training (mostly upper body), long runs, and I've started long uphill trail runs (after seeing the Death March obstacle). While I'm still a bit worried about the length of the race (and my biggest fear the electrocution lines) after watching the video it shows that anyone can complete the race if they put their mind to it. There are some really inspiring people participating! Also, check out street fitness or circuit training....both wonderful ways to train for some of the obstacles!

Anyone doing Norcal TM or Phoenix TM? I'm planning on both, maybe see fellow MFP's there!
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My brother and I just signed up to run the Chicago/Indiana TM in November. Super excited as training will definitly change up my current routine. If you look on the TM website they have a print out with specific exercises (geared toward each obstacle) to do. The idea is to do each exercise for 60 seconds in a circuit training format with no more than a 10 sec or so rest in between. I'm pretty comfortable with the strenght training as I do a bootcamp class 3 days a week that uses this same format and many similar exercises, I'm just adding in some more pull ups to make sure I'm good to go as far as upper body goes.
    The run on the other hand is a totally different story! The Chicago/Indiana course is 12 miles and I've only run 5ks this year. So I printed out a 1/2 marathon training schedule and have my first run tonight. Have to say I'm kind of relieved to hear there is some waiting around at obstacles which will help break up the run, but at the same time kind of disappointed as it might take away from the sense of accomplishment if it's too easy. We have an earlier start time so it might not be too bad. Doing a warrior dash in October as a test run, although I realize it will be no where close to the TM but will give me an idea of how I will handle the obstacles since there are many similar ones, this way I still have a month to adjust my training if necessary.
    Good luck, you will do great!
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am planning on signing up for the Toronto TM as well, just trying to build a team to go.

There is a training guide on the website and I think 9 months would be plenty of time since I think 90% of it is going to be mental anyways.

See ya there!