Any one here do at home Medical Transcriptions?

Options
Hi all!

I'm a military spouse and looking for a career that allows me to work from home where I can uproot/move and take it with me without having to start over. The closest thing I've come up with would be to get a degree in medical or legal transcription services with the possibility of finding an at home job associated with that.

My question to all of you out there is if anyone has experience in this field? Is it very difficult? And can you really make enough of a supplementary income to make the cost of the tuition worth it in a relatively short term? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

~Angelica
:smile: :drinker: :smile:

Replies

• JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a CPC (Certified Professional Medical Coder) and work from home. I see how valuable transcription is every day. Most of the transcriptionists I know made about $11/hour to start, or were paid via some special contract. You need a background in anatomy.

It took me 10 years to be able to work from home, HOWEVER, I CAN GET A JOB ANYWHERE - usually starting around $21/hr. Military bases are big Coding employers and a great place to get your feet wet. All you need to do is get certified. Courses are short and relatively inexpensive when you look at all you'll gain. YOU'LL NEVER BE WITHOUT A JOB. You can work for yourself in a contract and make more, or work more flexible hours.

Check out www.aapc.com or www.ahima.com or google medical coding.
    Good luck!
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had another friend (who is a Navy wife like me) taking online classes for medical transcription. MYCAA covered all her costs for books and tuition. Have you looked in to it? I have basically covered all my prerequisites for Dental Hygiene using it. It's $4000.00. https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/default.aspx (btw...make sure you are using internet explorer or mozilla...for some reason, chrome is not supported on their website) And I would call militaryonesource to get approved for the funds. If they don't have them now, they will have them at the beginning of the new fiscal year in October. Guaranteed. :)
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I had another friend (who is a Navy wife like me) taking online classes for medical transcription. MYCAA covered all her costs for books and tuition. Have you looked in to it? I have basically covered all my prerequisites for Dental Hygiene using it. It's $4000.00. https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/default.aspx (btw...make sure you are using internet explorer or mozilla...for some reason, chrome is not supported on their website) And I would call militaryonesource to get approved for the funds. If they don't have them now, they will have them at the beginning of the new fiscal year in October. Guaranteed. :)

My husband's rank disqualifies me for MyCAA. i've looked at it all. he's an E6 promotable and the rank for MyCAA stops at E5. Which thoroughly sucks. LOL But I do have his transferrable GI bill and it's looking like it may cover the course (or most of it) through an accredited online course (Penn Foster Schools). But not sure yet what all is involved. I've not had any college before and we're looking to start a family next year. So I was hoping to be comfortable and capable with a new job before that happened. :) Thanks for the advise! I just need to keep looking into it.
  • zemiller
    Options
    Medical transcription involves understanding, interpreting, rewriting and editing medical dictations into text. Given this work profile, it is important for medical transcriptionists to understand medical jargon for which they need formal training in the field. No one would tell you that medical transcription is a cakewalk, but with proper training you will get the required skills and proficiencies to do the job well.

As for compensation, it can vary between $10 and $18 depending on your level of experience, expertise, complexity of work, and other such factors.

I’d suggest you enroll for one of the online <a href="http://www.careerstep.com">medical transcription training</a> programs offered by vocational schools. They are pretty affordable and will allow you to complete your coursework at leisure.