Embarrassed to start swimming

Options
I swam competitively throughout my high school years. I'd really like to get back into it as that was the only excercise I enjoyed. I am nervous to start back up for a few reasons-how out of shape I'll be(I only know workouts I used to do when I was in good shape) and how much weight I've gained since being in the swimming pool last. Any tips to help get me started?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't worry about it. Many won't have swam in school, so you're already one step ahead. No one will have time to judge you. They'll be too busy doing their own thing. Have fun!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just take those workouts and scale them back. Instead of 1000 yds do 100. You'll have fun!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Jump on in. There are so many different body shapes and swimming abilities at the pool - and no one gives two hoots. You will be surprised how much better your swimming is, as someone who learnt properly, than most people's...

You could of course delberately pick a time - eg a family session or no lanes session - just to get over that first hurdle of getting back in the pool and finding out how much you remember.

And join the MFP swimmers group! We'd love to know how you get on....Lots of 'returners' in the group!

Good luck
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Once you’re in the water all anyone sees is a head bobbing up and down, please don’t let your inhibitions hold you back from what you enjoyed. If you’re worrying about people looking at you you might be paranoid and think that they are when in fact they’re just staring past you, or looking at someone else and even if they are looking at you it doesn’t mean they’re thinking negatively. I think it’s partly human nature to look at something that’s different, e.g if a Paralympic swimmer got in the pool they’d probably feel people were watching them, but mostly it’s just be in awe. Stay strong, buy a suit you feel comfortable in, good goggles, a new hat and nice pool toys then get in and reconnect with your favourite sport.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For what it’s worth, I do the ‘old lady breast stroke with head above water the whole time to keep my face dry’ swim. And I’m a 36 year old mother of two, covered in tattoos.

I get some funny looks. Lucky swimming’s not my thing lol.

I reckon you’ll do fine.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming 22 yrs and can I tell you something? The people who get the attention at the gym or the pool aren't the "out of shapers", but the fantastic bods. When I'm swimming and I see someone arrive that knows how to swim and has a good body, sure I look--and watch, to try and pick up some tips on how to do things better. As for how long it's been since you last swam, I think you'll find that it's like riding a bicycle, once you start it'll all come back fairly fast. Enjoy yourself--swimming is great exercise.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Stop thinking the pool (or gym) are places where in shape people go and start thinking the pool (or gym) are the places people go to get in shape.

Well said--should be a sticky. Ha, ha--maybe really.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Never let others steal your joy go for it I found at the gym or at the Y no one really cares what you are doing or how you look as long as you're not drowning you shouldn't worry.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Best tip; Just do it.
    Seriously when you get to the pool you will find that there are swimmers in every size shape or form
    At my local pool they are divided into 4 lanes, ranging from floating to one end of the pool to the other, to very fast.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Jump in. I am a relatively new swimmer (adult learner) and I learned really quickly not to judge anyone jumping in by their body. You probably have a gorgeous stroke with great technique. Every time you go, you'll improve over the last. Before you know it, you'll be in a groove, enjoying the water again, and increasing your endurance. Go for it. Nobody will care. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Skills will come back fast, and conditioning will soon follow.

At age 47, I took adult learn-to-swim classes at my Y (multiple times - LOL!) when I became a rower and needed better self-rescue skills. Besides the class, I went to the pool another couple of times a week to practice my meager but slowly improving skills.

At the time I was obese, and post bilateral mastectomies (I don't put prostheses in my swimsuit, so I'm completely flat, maybe even concave). There were people of all ages, descriptions, and skill levels in the pool and locker room.

No one paid the slightest attention to me or my splashily inept "swimming" other than an occasional casual friendly greeting poolside.

So swim.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself with teenaged you. Because no one there is going to.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As far as what to do in the pool (since everyone has so brilliantly covered the getting in without embarrassment part):

Everyone is different, but I found it helpful to start by getting in and just swimming freestyle for a while and mixing in other strokes for variety. Stop when taxed. after a few times of doing that or pushing yourself a little you might find that you need some structure. If there is a masters swimming group by you go check them out. They meet at structured hours for structured swims. Here is their site: usms.org/

On that site you will find a wealth of information including every sort of workout routine you can imagine, log books so you can track progress...

Best of luck to you. Take heed of the posts above mine. All good advice.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My gym overlooks the pool in my facility and when I am on the treadmill, I see ALL body types swimming. I can tell you that in two years, I have not seen one person give a second glance at anyone who might be overweight. While it is hard to believe, most people are likely too focused on their own workouts to focus on others near them.

I say, suit up, jump in, and enjoy the sport you were successful in!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I love swimming too, I usually go every week. I wont let anyone come in between me and the things I enjoy doing. If you shy, perhaps go when it's all men? I seen all kinds of people, and no one gives a damn. Seriously, sometimes we overthink but in reality it's in our heads. If still you not happy, I suggest you start exercising, watching your diet and hopefully by summer you should be way better than you are now.