Anyone in the 55-70 age group looking to lose over 60 lb?

Options
Looking for supportive friends to travel down this bumpy road to weight loss with me. Any age is welcome but I'm thinking someone in an older age group might have more in common with me.
I'm 63, diabetic so shooting for lowering my carbs. Anyone want to give it a go?

Replies

• DietChocolate
    DietChocolate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and looking to lose 70 lbs. I will friend request you. I teach online and I am an e-learning developer, so I sit in front of a computer a lot. back about ten years ago I would use the elliptical an hour in the morning and an hour each evening. Work bumped up in hours well over 60 hours a week and stayed pegged there or higher, so my exercise routine disappeared and so I busily sat and sat and sat and the pounds gradually came on, and on, and on. So, I started my journey back to the body I used to enjoy a few weeks ago; though, I joined a year ago but didn't get rolling at that time.
  • flpamme
    flpamme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi DietChocolate, I gratefully accepted your friend request. I work in a library, almost 18 years now, so I know about sitting in front of a computer! I used to do a lot of walking in the evenings with my husband. He became sick and passed away. I lost my incentive to do much of anything except escape into a book when I got home from work. 9 years have passed and I don't like what I see anymore. Nor do I like how I feel so I have to accept only I can change this. I need to lose some weight before I start walking very much due to Achilles tendinitis. If I aggravate it then I have trouble trying to work the next day. Have you climbed back on your elliptical yet or are you concentrating on diet so far?
  • dinolan1
    dinolan1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just joined this group today. I'm 67 and had a total knee replacement last summer. I've been wanting to lose weight for a long time but was having mobility problems. I'm moving a lot better now. The doctor said I still need to strengthen the muscles supporting my knee but I've already done all the physical therapy the insurance will allow. So I joined a gym and am now working with a personal trainer. It was the cheaper option. The trainer asked me how many calories I consumed each day on average and I just threw out a number off the top of my head. I decided I wanted to track that more accurately and found this website. I feel I need to lose about 80 pounds, but the trainer set my goal at 50 pounds. I really don't have much of a problem with overeating. I have multiple food allergies and there's very little I can eat that won't make me sick.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. This sounds great! I am 54 and would like to lose about 60-70 pounds. I've already lost 38lbs. I have had some medical issues also this past year. I got an infection after a root canal and ended up in the hospital on IV clindamydin (antibiotic) then took it for 10 days after getting out of the hospital. Then a month later ended up in the hospital emergently due to sepsis (overall infection) from the clindamycin causing c.difficile. My entire colon was infected. Anyway, I recovered from that then 2mos later had sudden paralysis of my left vocal cord - I have had 2 surgeries for that. Been a crazy time but doing well for now. I am an RN working in a clinic and love my job.
    Good luck to you all on this journey.
  • vix576
    vix576 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m new to mfp and looking for friends too. I’m 53, need to lose over 45kgs (100lb). No health issues other than lathergy when it comes to moving my body.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 61 and at the start of my journey in November 2017 I needed to lose 73 pounds of which I have lost 42. My doctor suggested a ketogenic diet as I was showing insulin resistance. I sympathize luvsunshine1 as I am on my second course of antibiotics for cellulitis in 3 weeks and have a chronic condition as the result of treatment for breast cancer. I am an RN and work 12 hour shifts in a NICU. Love the work but it can be stressful and the shift work can play havoc with eating.

Good luck everyone.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am a 62 YO widower and set my first goal last summer at 100#. I've lost 80 still obese on the BMI and probably have another 50+ to go to get to thin. I have gone to a whole food plant based lifestyle and I am feeling great. The best is yet to come.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    65 and here everyday for mutual support
  • Nanajones58
    Nanajones58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I am new to myfitnesspal and looking to lose 60 lbs.. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I would love to be on this journey with you ladies. I starting a walking dvd today but have no ideal how to log steps. any and all help will be appreciated.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi dmcnur. Sorry to hear about the cellulitis but I sure understand. I am impressed with the 12hr shifts - I just can't do that anymore. I also have lupus and when I work to much is when I can be guaranteed of a flare. This seems like such a good group as we all seem to have about the same amount to lose and understand the struggles that come with being this age in life.
  • flpamme
    flpamme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first started on here the other day I was trying to figure out how to use the community boards to find like minded people with the same goals. I kept coming across old threads and out of desperation posted this thread. I am so pleased to see so many responses. I love to see so many that I can identify with in my age group and facing the same struggles I am. I'm athinkin we CAN do this together. Let's all synchronize our calendars and make March 2019 better than March 2018. No push to lose a set amount. Just that we all find ourselves in a better place healthwise and weight wise. Agreed? I can use all the friends I can get so feel free to reach out if you'd like a buddy on our road to the new and revised edition of us. We can groan together when the going gets tough, whine together if we hit a slippery slope and celebrate our successes big and small together.
  • catrog2011
    catrog2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 61 yrs old and looking to lose about 60+ pounds. Need support and encouragement.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 71 years, I want to lose about 20-28 lbs on top of what I have lost. Good luck to you all, send a friend request if you want.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    63 here and needing to lose 60 lbs. My diary is open - please feel free to friend me. Or maybe we need our own group. it's a different experience losing weight when you are older.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I agree with Elsie above its harder to lose weight as you get older.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm 57. I've been on here awhile already and originally lost 28 lbs, but I tend to backslide, so I'm currently working on the last 9 or so again. It's rough going at the moment, and I think some new friends could help motivate me. I eat vegetarian and aim for whole foods plant based as a regular thing but sometimes get a junk food craving. Open diary, feel free to add me!
  • BrendanScrote
    BrendanScrote Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in :)

I'm 56 and I'm 10lbs down and looking to loose another 90.

Started gentle exercising and feeling a lotter better for it, my key tools are MFP anf my Fitbit while my sworn enemy is red wine.

Feel free to add me
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will be 61 next month. I would like to lose about 50-60#. I keep floundering, and end up doing nothing. I’m so glad to see this post! Please feel free to add me.
  • Kellymackey1965
    Options
    Hi everyone I am 53 and need to lose at least 60lbs. I have numerous health issues that restrict my diet as well as my exercise. I used to ride my horse's and use an elliptical at least 4 times a week. Then my job changed. Then that company downsized and I went back to school to improve my chances of getting a new job. The studying at an older age took my full concentration and left me with no energy for anything else. I then had to work two jobs. When I was able to transition to one job shortly after that I broke my leg under my knee. That lead to 2 years of physical therapy. All this led to me gaining weight and not being able to lose it. The jobs I could do were office work that meant long hours behind a desk. I have since been able to stop working so I have the time to concentrate on losing weight. I would love suggestions and support with this journey.
    Please add me. So sorry.for the long post not many here want to talk about it.
  • Joetee2028
    Joetee2028 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 60. I started at 282#. Now I'm 270#. I use a Bowflex Max trainer and a tread mill. I would like to get to 225 and eventually 200#. But I think that is asking to much from my aching bones. I work out pretty hard then have to take a day or two of because I hurt pretty bad. Also I like food to much and lack discipline at times.