Painful knees when running

Hello! My knee has been aching and having some sharp pains when I run and walk downstairs. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have been training hard for a half marathon, but I’ve never hurt like this before. After a few weeks, the uncomfortness also shifted to my other knee as well!

Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    I have had and continue to have some pain after I ran a 5K that was hilly saw the doctor turns out I bruised my patella tendon which is common enough. I now only do 5Ks with a patella tendon wrap and or knee sleeves. Best bet let a doc check you out might be nothing but if something best to fix it now before more damage is done.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2018
    What do you mean by 'training hard'? Increasing your mileage too quickly?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    There’s a condition called ‘runners knee’ which is typically related to the ilio-tibial band.

Google that.

There is absolutely no way to be definitive based on the description.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Hello! My knee has been aching and having some sharp pains when I run and walk downstairs. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have been training hard for a half marathon, but I’ve never hurt like this before. After a few weeks, the uncomfortness also shifted to my other knee as well!

What programme are you using to train for the HM, and what was your running experience before you started?

I would normally advocate seeing a physiotherapist for that sort of symptom to be honest.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    See an orthopedist.

When I had similar pain I had tendinitis.
  • Limonlem
    Limonlem Posts: 3 Member
    That happened to me, exactly as you described (except I wasn't training for a marathon - I had just transitioned from power walking to running, at the gym). I was diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome, first the left knee, then the right. I started using a patellar brace on my knees during workouts, and that helped quite a bit. Go see your doctor, get a proper dx, and they can prescribe the proper therapy to get it back to par.
  • ajm9230
    ajm9230 Posts: 2 Member
    Best to get it checked out by an orthopedist. Could be a number of things from simple rest to surgery. You'll probably need an mri to see if anything is damaged. Mine was a torn meniscus and whole they were in there noticed I had a ton of arthritis and a torn acl from an old injury. Meniscus was an easy fix but arthritis has ended my running
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    1. See a doctor or Physical Therapist to confirm that it's "runner's knee"
    2. Do recommended IT band strengthening/mobilizing exercises or Glute strengthening exercises as recommended

There's a half dozen other things that can cause "knee pain" until your doc/ortho/PT agree on a course of action, be careful self diagnosing or self treating. Some treatments will make it better for a while(until they make it much worse)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    When I started running I went out and ran a few miles and my knee started hurting so bad after a few runs. I decided "I can't run due to bad knees". That is when I started walking a lot. I then started playing Ingress.com a GPS based game that requires you to move to different locations to play. As I got into it I started running between points in short intervals. This slow steady addition to running increased distances was the answer. I worked up to thirty miles a week with no knee pain. Start slow and add distance gradually after your knee feels better. Also get fitted for some good shoes, HOKA has some I like that have great cushion. Try also to minimise impact on your foot strike by running as if you are running on eggs and trying not to break them.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Yeah, sounds like my IT band issues from last year. I got diagnosed at a bone & joint clinic and recommend the same. The doctor can tell give you some light PT to do at home.

Runner's knee is usually either pain from deterioration of the actual joint (from arthritis, bone on bone) or from a tight IT band, which pulls your kneecap slightly out of place, causing pain when running, going up stairs, sometimes even just walking or sitting.