Hate to grocery shop?

Options
I HATE to grocery shop. It's too tempting to walk the aisles and just snatch up the fats and carbs. Soooo what I found that works for me is to have store personnel do the shopping and deliver the groceries to my car or home. I live in rural northern California so it was hard for me not to go grocery shopping. Thankfully, Raley's started the ecart program at my local store. More major grocery chains are getting into the personnel shopper program (Wal-Mart, Amazon, Safeway, etc). It's great for working women and like me, the retired. If you're reading this then you're already on the web. Check out your local stores and see what's available near you. I usually order every week or so. I start with checking the local ad thru Flipp or the store's website. Then I always begin with the produce I want for the week. Yes, what produce I WANT! When it comes to food I have to think of what I can eat that keeps me happy and fit. I keep the running order thru the week of what I need for the hubby and me. I can usually order over $100.00 so there is no charge for the service. Then I order and get the time slot for pickup that's convenient for me. I pay at the car when picking up my order.

I was 322 lbs in August 2017 with an A1C of close to 8. I'm currently at 267 lbs. I'm still grossly overweight, BUT continue to lose pounds gradually. This way of shopping works for me and may work for you.

Have a happy smile!
Franceen

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Awesome Franceen!

I love to grocery shop, sometimes I go twice a day! Lol
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I do both. When I'm super busy or working late I will place a pick up order, but it has its downsides. Ordering produce can be tricky. I've gotten overipe avocados and bruised apples. It's still super convenient to do online ordering for sure.
    That being said, i still prefer to go into the store. Because with online ordering I inevitably forget to order things I need. By walking up and down the aisles, I'm less likely to forget something and have to go back another day.
    Plus I like to get my Fitbit steps in!
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Actually love it....
    But that's Whole Foods or Farmers Markets when the weather is warm. I think I would struggle in a normal chain.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I would online order for boxed items, shelf stable stuff, cans, frozen stuff etc. It makes no difference to the product quality whether I pick out the box or not. But I'd rather pick out my fruit and veggies since I want to make sure I'm not getting squished stuff.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I don't really like going food shopping, but as long as I am able to walk and fend for myself, I will go to the store. I like to see what I am buying and quite often I change my mind or add something else to my grocery list, while at the store. Seeing something in the produce or meat section may trigger other ideas of what to cook.

But I understand that it is a very convenient service that the grocery stores are now providing. Weather, illness or physical conditions sometimes makes getting out of the house very difficult.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Grocery shopping and trying to find the cheapest food on sale is currently one of my hobbies. :smile:

Frig & freezer have been bursting at the seams w/bargains for months.

My GF usually helps me to eat the food but she's been away tending to personal matters.

So, I've had to eat the food myself which takes a long time when you're limited to 1650 net cals/day. LOL! ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love to grocery shop, but I have to be very strict and plan and schedule my trips, because I feel the pull of temptations - maybe not to buy the "wrong" things (I do eat both fat and carbs, thank you) - but to buy too much, too soon. What a bargain! Not now!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I would online order for boxed items, shelf stable stuff, cans, frozen stuff etc. It makes no difference to the product quality whether I pick out the box or not. But I'd rather pick out my fruit and veggies since I want to make sure I'm not getting squished stuff.

Same. Don't want to end up with a half rotten box of strawberries (when you see what's in the store sometimes, you really want to make sure you get to pick your own).
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm a shop as little as possible person

I get (good quality, much better than supermarket) veg and fruit box weekly - with some eggs, milk and yoghurt. And that keeps me eating lots of veg.

And once every month or two my cupboards and freezer get filled to bursting point (including bread mixes) from the online supermarket. Again mainly with healthy (and cheap!) options - and lots of quick cook options.

I loathe shopping and this is 100x better!

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    That's good news for me! I work for a grocery delivery company. I personally shop and pick out items like produce and meat, then deliver them to people's homes.

It's an active job, and I get paid for my retail therapy. Win win!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have used the service here in Canada at Superstore. It is called "click and collect". I love it during extreme weather. If it's 40 below You don't even need to get out of your car! One day I even had some free entertainment. As I sat in my car some guy was handcuffed and thrown in a cop car.

I was a little hesitant about the fruit but they have always chosen very well for me. You can make notes like "green bananas please". Thumbs up from the Canuck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I order my groceries online and pick them up most weeks. I have not had an issue with produce being squishy or anything I wouldn't have picked up myself.
    Past purchases are in a list on the site or come up first when I search for something so I can very quickly find items I ordered before.
    I spend $40-50 less when I shop online it seems. I probably compare prices better and find sale items more. I also edit my cart so I don't go over my budgeted amount.
    Cons are sometimes they are out of something so I have to do a trip to another store. They also don't have the pet supplies I need.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    HEB added curbside shopping (with delivery to come soon). We've used it a few times and overall I'm happy with it. I definitely agree that if I go inside the store, I'm more likely to put other things in my cart. But my HEB gets so crowded that lately I make it a goal to get in and out as fast as possible.

Curbside is great though with our spotty weather, and I can definitely see me using it more once we have kids.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have watched the shoppers at my local Walmart and I actually wonder if I would get better produce by shopping online. They really are picky.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I order my groceries online and pick them up most weeks. I have not had an issue with produce being squishy or anything I wouldn't have picked up myself.
    Past purchases are in a list on the site or come up first when I search for something so I can very quickly find items I ordered before.
    I spend $40-50 less when I shop online it seems. I probably compare prices better and find sale items more. I also edit my cart so I don't go over my budgeted amount.
    Cons are sometimes they are out of something so I have to do a trip to another store. They also don't have the pet supplies I need.

At mine if they are out of an item they pick something as a substitute and in your email you just say yes or not to accept the suggestion. The only negative about mine is you need to do it the day before you plan to pick up. I often forget to put in an order.

Fees for mine are 3 bucks during less busy times, 5 bucks on weekends and busy times (like 5 pm)
    Orders must be 35 dollars minimum. I love it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My mom has been doing this for over a year at both Kroger and Meijer. She has severe arthritis in her knees and can't get around. She has her own scooter rather than using the ones in the stores, but it always takes 5-10 minutes to put it together and take it apart, so ordering her groceries has been much easier. That 20 minutes with scooter assembly is now spent driving to pick up the food and back home.

I don't recall any problems with the produce she's ordered, but last month we got some milk that was only dated a couple days after the gallon it was replacing. I also work at Meijer and the girl in charge of Curbside is one of my good friends, so if she sees my mom's name she makes sure to get the freshest of everything.

Another thing it helps with? It's cut down on all the impulse purchases we tend to make.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    My mom has been doing this for over a year at both Kroger and Meijer. She has severe arthritis in her knees and can't get around. She has her own scooter rather than using the ones in the stores, but it always takes 5-10 minutes to put it together and take it apart, so ordering her groceries has been much easier. That 20 minutes with scooter assembly is now spent driving to pick up the food and back home.

I don't recall any problems with the produce she's ordered, but last month we got some milk that was only dated a couple days after the gallon it was replacing. I also work at Meijer and the girl in charge of Curbside is one of my good friends, so if she sees my mom's name she makes sure to get the freshest of everything.

Another thing it helps with? It's cut down on all the impulse purchases we tend to make.

Oh, tell her to put "latest best before date please" if there is a note option.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Oh, tell her to put "latest best before date please" if there is a note option.

That's what she said she'd do from now on
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

At mine if they are out of an item they pick something as a substitute and in your email you just say yes or not to accept the suggestion. The only negative about mine is you need to do it the day before you plan to pick up. I often forget to put in an order.

Fees for mine are 3 bucks during less busy times, 5 bucks on weekends and busy times (like 5 pm)
    Orders must be 35 dollars minimum. I love it.

Our store does substitutions too if you allow for it but sometimes they are just plain out of all of that type of item and can't substitute. Like around superbowl time or a major holiday. They sometimes contact us to ask about a substitute. Most weeks we get everything we ordered without a problem. They do a good job.
    There is no fee at my store if you order $100 or more. We usually spend $150 and get a car trunk full. I don't think there is a minimum amount. I probably wouldn't use the service for a very small amount of groceries.

You do have to order so many hours in advance. I order on Saturday afternoon and then go pick up Sunday morning or early afternoon while I am out getting lunch with my family.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I almost did online ordering for Shaw's, but the service doesn't honor the weekly sales. Really??? The only reason I shop at Shaw's is for their loss leaders - their regular prices are higher than the other stores I go to.

I've been saving money and time by getting produce at a little local produce store. I don't make any bad impulse purchases there :lol:

When I went to Stop & Shop more often I'd also look at coupons, and buy a lot of stuff I'm not missing now that I go there less. Now I'm going to the veggie store once or twice a week and Stop & Shop or Market Basket once per week.