Should we really be eating back the calories we burn??

Options
It's much wiser to keep the deficit. You'll lose weight faster.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is the forum section for people trying to maintain their weight, not lose. Either way I'll drop this great explanatory video here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It's much wiser to keep the deficit. You'll lose weight faster.

Faster does not always equal better. For a lot of us, trying to rush this process is the way to burn out. Saying that, a lot of people eat back half their exercise calories as they can be overestimated. But telling everyone to not eat any, on top of their deficit they already have isn't very helpful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat my exercise calories back, it depends how many calories I burn and whether I'm hungry or not.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

If you are prone to binges, not eating your calories back is a really good way to start bingeing. If you are not prone to bingeing, you may start because this:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    ^^ The binging or overeating is an important problem. This is exacerbated when your deficit is too much (like having a 1,000 calorie deficit, exercising and burning 500 calories and your net is 700 calories). Most likely doing this on a regular basis you are going to overeat to compensate.