Using app without cell phone service

Options
Is there a way to search and log foods in your diary if you are outside reach of cell phone service?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    yes if you are on internet. I log on my work computer, my home computer and my Ipad. I never use my phone.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With wifi, yes. Otherwise you can only search for foods you've already logged.
  • jordanhillary
    jordanhillary Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Going to be camping out of service for an extended period of time and won't have wifi. It's a scary thought knowing I won't be able to log :/
  • jordanhillary
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thoughts on how I can work around this? Mass add all food/beverage to my diary somehow when I run into town for supplies, but before I go out of service again?
  • jordanhillary
    Options
    That way they are in my history when I need them....?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Going to be camping out of service for an extended period of time and won't have wifi. It's a scary thought knowing I won't be able to log :/

Since you'll likely already have an idea on what you'll be cooking/eating out there, you can always prelog before you leave
  • jordanhillary
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thank you. That's what I figured.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When I went on my cruise, it did not count me as logging on, even though I did add food and steps every day. I ended up have to uninstall and reinstall later, because the app just started counting my "streak" from the day I got back, and it depressed me to see how many days it had been since vacation :D
  • jordanhillary
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    When I went on my cruise, it did not count me as logging on, even though I did add food and steps every day. I ended up have to uninstall and reinstall later, because the app just started counting my "streak" from the day I got back, and it depressed me to see how many days it had been since vacation :D

Noooooo
  • jordanhillary
    edited March 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Since you'll likely already have an idea on what you'll be cooking/eating out there, you can always prelog before you leave

I put my phone into 'Airplane Mode' just now to play around. It looks like I can still add by the 'Create New Food' button if I have the label handy..
    Just curious though, if I wanted to mass add before I go back out of service, do I just pick a random day in the past to add everything that way it's already in my history log?

• jordanhillary
    Options

So when you re-installed, did it change your streak back to the very first day you started logging? Wonder why it needed you to re-install?

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you have no computer or phone service and your counter gets reset, there is way to get the admins to restore your streak. Just keep track of how many days it should be.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

So when you re-installed, did it change your streak back to the very first day you started logging? Wonder why it needed you to re-install?

Because once I had cell signal, it kept counting me as logging in automatically. When I was out of service, it didn't count any days until I came back, even thoygh it was letting me count steps and log food. Very annoying.
    So in order for it not to count me automatically, wIhen I wanted to reset my streak, I got irritated and uninstalled for more than 24 hours, so it couldn't use cell or wifi to connect.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy your trip and be mindful of your eating. You can always write in a notebook what you ate and how much, and log everything in your diary when you get back to civilization.
    Since you are going camping maybe you can even take the food scale with you to keep better track, if you are so inclined. Don't let all the logging affect your enjoyment of the trip.
    I never log while on vacation. Not worth the hassle.
  • jordanhillary
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Just enjoy your trip and be mindful of your eating. You can always write in a notebook what you ate and how much, and log everything in your diary when you get back to civilization.
    Since you are going camping maybe you can even take the food scale with you to keep better track, if you are so inclined. Don't let all the logging affect your enjoyment of the trip.
    I never log while on vacation. Not worth the hassle.

I appreciate your input. I'm very serious about getting this weight off. I am going to bring my food scale and log everything still. It will just take even more dedication than now.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I went through that twice on camping trips as well. The first time I was all stressed about not logging in every day, the second time I just did the best I could and started back in logging when I got back. Because I'm in this for the long haul, meaning the rest of my life, no doubt, a few days here and there of missed entries are no big deal. I have a 548 day streak going now and over 365 days excluding the days I missed. And now I can't even remember when it was I missed them. I'm at maintenance and still log, but with summer camping season coming up I know and actually hope I have some time away from cell service and wifi.
  • jordanhillary
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I went through that twice on camping trips as well. The first time I was all stressed about not logging in every day, the second time I just did the best I could and started back in logging when I got back. Because I'm in this for the long haul, meaning the rest of my life, no doubt, a few days here and there of missed entries are no big deal. I have a 548 day streak going now and over 365 days excluding the days I missed. And now I can't even remember when it was I missed them. I'm at maintenance and still log, but with summer camping season coming up I know and actually hope I have some time away from cell service and wifi.

I'll be in and out of service for about 3 months. I'm in this for the long haul as well and really want to keep the momentum going. I feel really positive about my weight loss for the first time because it's actually working! Weighing and logging has become second nature. I know I can do this, just trying to find the easiest way possible..
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The easiest while camping is to use paper and pen. The batteries never go dead.
  • jordanhillary
    Options
    The easiest while camping is to use paper and pen. The batteries never go dead.

Indeed they do not lol. But for example, I don't know how many calories are in 4oz of pork off the top of my head. Or how many calories are in 20grams of rice off the top of my head. MFP knows. Things with a label, I can log on paper but those without...I won't know without MFP's help.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to stay in the habit both of logging and of being honest with yourself. You may not know how much is in a particular cut of pork, but you probably know that 4oz of meat is going to be 150-200 calories. Check the weight on the package, count the number of cuts.

Using an exchange system will get you close enough for a week. How many veg do you usually eat? Fruit? Meat? Dairy? Fats? Do you usually eat dessert? Stick with that number while you are gone. It won't be exact, but the act of writing it down has been shown to be the important thing.