Did you lose 5+ pounds in the first week of weightloss?

Options
alwaysbloated
alwaysbloated Posts: 458 Member
Cause when I start, it never happens to me :-(

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Nope. I usually never lose anything the first week.
  • sra455
    sra455 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 days in and have lost 7 lbs. But I think it definitely depends on what weight you're starting at. I started at 332, but 1-2 lbs is more typical for a lower weight.
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I generally lose a LOT, right out of the gate, but then my weight loss stalls and stalls........last time, it stalled so long, MFP and fitbit, cut my calories to 200 per day. that's when I gave up. trying to be more sensible this time and keep an eagle eye on trends..........it's probably better then b4, my body usually gains the first week (inflammation response), and only then, will begin to respond..........at least that's changed. Counting the blessing. lol.
  • papaking
    papaking Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lost four or five but my weight fluctuates from day to day ie. up 3 pounds down 3 pounds not sure why
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    papaking wrote: »
    lost four or five but my weight fluctuates from day to day ie. up 3 pounds down 3 pounds not sure why

Most people do, its normal. Lots of things can cause this, usually sodium is one of the big culprits though.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    **laughs in overweight**

Ha ha, hell no. I'm lucky if I lose 1lb a week when I work really hard at it and I'm nowhere near goal.

It blows.
  • Ni_La82
    Ni_La82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cause when I start, it never happens to me :-(

I can but it depends on the diet and exercise level. I lose very fast on Keto (2lbs/day for the first 3 Days), but it’s usually water weight. I lose very slowly on calorie counting, likely due to salt and resulting water retention. I never watch my sodium intake. I am trying the Pasternak reset now, and I’ve lost about 5lbs in the first week.
    However, if I do high intensity exercise, I gain due to swelling and water retention. I’m thinking of getting a good body composition scale. Taking measurements is also a must. Sometimes the number on the scale really is misleading as to what is really going on.
  • dhcopywriting
    dhcopywriting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 pounds my first week but my diet is so low-calorie fitness pal is issuing warnings. I am over 50 and it is getting harder and harder to lose weight but I am freakishly determined.
  • relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nope, has never happened for me. I lose my predicted 1 pound a week beginning the first week.
  • doppysmum
    doppysmum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in a week? I wish. Maybe when I was a teenager. Trying 16/8 diet this week . Know a couple of success stories on this .
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    According by the scales in my gym I’ve lost 11 pounds since Friday and I had few beers Friday night so that’s balls I just go by my clothes how they fit and feel .
  • Gould118
    Gould118 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I find I normally lose around 4 to 5 the first week. After that it might be 1 to 2 pounds. Depending on how much cardio I do that week.
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, I usually lose anywhere from 4-11 lbs the first week when I start, and then gain it back at varying speeds when I stop. NO MORE START/STOPPING for me!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I generally lose a LOT, right out of the gate, but then my weight loss stalls and stalls........last time, it stalled so long, MFP and fitbit, cut my calories to 200 per day. that's when I gave up. trying to be more sensible this time and keep an eagle eye on trends..........it's probably better then b4, my body usually gains the first week (inflammation response), and only then, will begin to respond..........at least that's changed. Counting the blessing. lol.

Ha ha ha surely that is a typo? You must have meant it cut it by 200 calories. But even then MFP doesn't cut your calories because you are stalling.

In answer to the OP the most I've ever lost 2lbs at the beginning. I can only imagine people who lost 5lbs were holding onto a lot of water weight from high-sodium take out foods from their previous diet. Just remember it won't all fall off over night.