Just getting started

Options
I'm 58 years old well soon to be 59. Unfortunately I cannot exercise. I am in the process of trying to get my back fixed. I'm in physical therapy. I weigh 187. Need to weigh 155. Hopi g to lose this fast. I need to have the weight off before I go into another back surgery. I wonder what is reasonable. Can I lose 2 lbs per week?

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you need to talk to a doctor about that, since you need to lose weight for a medical reason. my instinct would be that 2lbs/week is too fast.
  • andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think without exercise, 2lbs a week would be hard to achieve and I wouldn't want you to get disheartened if you don't reach your goal. Try 1lb per week to get started and take it from there.
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'll be very happy with a pound per week. I should be able to lose at least 10 pounds because my back surgery is at least 3 months away
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'll be very happy with a pound per week. I should be able to lose at least 10 pounds because my back surgery is at least 3 months away

MFP is set up to calculate your caloric intake without exercise. So you are lucky there. If you are looking to lose 2 lbs a week ( originally stated)MFP may take your allotted intake to 1200 calories, that's to low. Don't fall for it, its to extreme and you are setting your self up for failure.

You want a calorie goal of something reasonable and easy to maintain. Setting your goal a t losing 1lbs a week is a good start.

The tough part for you, is since you are not able to work out, you will need to focus on diet ( whats going in your mouth) . You will need to get a scale, make sure your are weighing everything. Be sure to utilize the recipe builder for accurate calorie tracking.

Good Luck and wishing you well for surgery
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Okay I’m 3 months post surgery and I’m down only 7 lbs. I lost a few pounds before the surgery but then got the flu and bronchitis. I spent several weeks in bed and gained it back. Finally I was able to lose down to 180 with a lot of work. I was 191 back in September so overall down 11 pounds. Hoping to reach 155 this year. The surgery was a success. Just now getting in some activity