Dairy problems ibs and keto ?

Options
size102b
size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
Hi I have had ibs d 23 years many times so bad I couldn’t leave the house and it gave me travel anxiety.

I’ve switched to keto and the symptons are better mainly when I don’t have much dairy ?

UK medical profession has left me to it re ibs told me I just have to live with it even though I can’t travel or go far but hey they don’t seem to think that effects your life.

Has anyone done keto and no dairy I’ve researched it joined a fb group but seems very hard to do ?

I read hundreds of people so well on no dairy my mums one as she’s intolerant to it causes her information stomach upsets etc

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So is it actually being keto that's helping it avoiding dairy? Sounds like it's the latter, so why not just eat a dairy free diet?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I understand that dairy is problematic for you but am confused on how keto comes into it - are you finding it hard to be dairy-free while eating keto?

If this is the case, you don't need to do keto to lose weight - just focus on a calorie deficit and being dairy-free.

My mom has IBS and has found a few things helpful:
    - Eating more soluble fiber
    - Eating insoluble fiber at the end of a meal (so salads last)
    - Taking Acacia powder

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
    https://www.amazon.com/Heathers-Tummy-Organic-Acacia-Senegal/dp/B0002ON8DU/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520188930&sr=8-4&keywords=+Heather's+Tummy+Fiber+Organic+Acacia
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    My wife had IBS for around five years. Then she developed Fibromyalgia. If you're dairy intolerant, I'm sure it doesn't help IBS at all. Does going keto help? Possibly. Who knows. Usually, with keto, you're not doing grains. Going gluten free and limiting grains also helped my wife. When they tested her for allergies later on, they said she was not that allergic to gluten (but also said she'd have to go back to eating it and risk getting sick to see if the test was completely accurate).

If they knew exactly what caused IBS, it would be cured. They don't. Many believe it's an unhealthy microbiome. Food allergens can contribute to that. Avoiding Round-Up has helped her tremendously as well. Another has been taking a methyl B vitamin. Some believe that genetic defects contribute to IBS. One of the most common is MTHFR, which my wife has (many think it contributes to both Fibromyalgia and IBS).

Perhaps try a food journal and see what bothers you daily or within 24 hours. Most of what you eat, if it's going to affect you, happens within 12 hours.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My wife had IBS for around five years. Then she developed Fibromyalgia. If you're dairy intolerant, I'm sure it doesn't help IBS at all. Does going keto help? Possibly. Who knows. Usually, with keto, you're not doing grains. Going gluten free and limiting grains also helped my wife. When they tested her for allergies later on, they said she was not that allergic to gluten (but also said she'd have to go back to eating it and risk getting sick to see if the test was completely accurate).

If they knew exactly what caused IBS, it would be cured. They don't. Many believe it's an unhealthy microbiome. Food allergens can contribute to that. Avoiding Round-Up has helped her tremendously as well. Another has been taking a methyl B vitamin. Some believe that genetic defects contribute to IBS. One of the most common is MTHFR, which my wife has (many think it contributes to both Fibromyalgia and IBS).

Perhaps try a food journal and see what bothers you daily or within 24 hours. Most of what you eat, if it's going to affect you, happens within 12 hours.

My husband has pretty much got rid of his IBS by getting rid of gluten and following a low to moderate carb diet.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

My husband has pretty much got rid of his IBS by getting rid of gluten and following a low to moderate carb diet.

That's awesome for your husband and that he was willing to do that. I have a lot of respect for those that are willing to make drastic changes. My wife has a friend that reacts to dairy the way she used to. She has IBS but refuses to give up dairy.

I didn't have to give up anything but did for my wife. Just for support. I can't imagine if I had something as severe as IBS going on for years to go to a doctor and ask for a pill to fix me. Pills can't fix everything, unfortunately. It's a shame that in even countries like the OP lives in with free healthcare that Holistic care isn't considered. Instead, we throw pills at things that mask the real causes and wonder why we fail.

To answer your question (to the OP), it's not hard to give up dairy and still be keto. Keto is just about drastic reduction of carbs and eating more fat. Coconut oil, olive oil don't have dairy. Fatty meats don't have dairy. If you eat tons of fat, very little carbs and limited but significant meat, you'll be in ketosis. I don't think ketosis will necessarily be your answer and it's very hard to maintain. Dairy free is easy to maintain.

I'd strongly recommend you do a food journal if your medical coverage doesn't cover Holistic care.

• KerrySayers27
    KerrySayers27 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS all my life and I also struggled to leave the house and would be doubled up 8n pain every day. I have been gluten free for several years now as my GP thought that wheat intolerance played a big part in it. I was also referred to a Dietitian who put me on the Low FODMAP diet. It was very tough...especially the first six weeks where I ate nothing but chicken and potato (no skin), it worked really well for me. After gradually reintroducing foods I found that I could eat most things that I had previously reacted to. Unfortunately I still can’t eat wheat or cauliflower. I still get the odd flare up but my GP root ginger tablets and peppermint oil tablets to help me and Alverine for the stomach cramps. I hope you find something that helps you because I know how debilitating it is.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have gone dairy free in the past to help with intestinal problems. I missed it for a while but I got used to it pretty quick. As someone who does keto, I think there is no need for dairy. Sure, butter is nice on veggies or a steak but coconut oil works fine. Many recipes call for cheese in casseroles, or one dish dinners, but keto is just very low carb which you can achieve with meats, eggs, nuts, olives, coconut, and veggies. KWIM?

Many keto'ers find that veggies, especially some raw, are a problem for ibs. Finding veggies that work, or just keeping veggie consumption quite low, or even none, seems to work well for some.

I hope you find what works for you. Good luck. :)
  • jog1111
    jog1111 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband has IBS and his dietician put him on the FODMAP diet. I recommend that you try it, it made a HUGE difference for him. As far as dairy goes, he can have lactose free milk and hard cheeses (no lactose) and those are fine. Try the FODMAP app, it has a ton of helpful information.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Many Thanks for all your help it’s appreciated

Regarding why do keto because I like it and I have no hunger :)

I will again look at FIDMAP many Thanks