Low fat Thai food

Options
morenita71
morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm cooking for friends this weekend to thank them for house sitting while we were on holiday in Thailand. We've decided to cook Thai food so am looking for inspiration. I guess I'll use half fat coconut milk and maybe have prawns and fish (although one of our guests isn't keen on chicken). Also any ideas for low cal drinks to accompany the meal?
Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received! Thanks!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    Well you should have Singha beer or Mekong whiskey but that is not really a low cal drink. My favourite low cal Thai meal is Nam Prik Ong. It's a northeastern dish so no high calorie coconut or peanuts involved, which is more typically Southern Thai. Traditionally includes pork mince but you could substitute turkey or chicken mince.
  • Hunny_butter
    Hunny_butter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look up thai fish cakes they are delicious
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    The weekend has come and gone...what did you end up making?

I love thai curry, I use a shop bought good quality chilli paste, a can of coconut milk, a dash of lime to some fish/meat and veg - delicious served with basmati rice :):)
  • morenita71
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I found a recipe for baked Thai fish cakes and made a stir-fry with minced chicken and holy basil and papaya salad. The one calorific dish was beef penang curry (made the curry paste ourselves). Plus some stir fried veg. To drink I made lychee martinis! All went down very well. :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    morenita71 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I found a recipe for baked Thai fish cakes and made a stir-fry with minced chicken and holy basil and papaya salad. The one calorific dish was beef penang curry (made the curry paste ourselves). Plus some stir fried veg. To drink I made lychee martinis! All went down very well. :)

Are you a chef in your own rights....its all I can do to make rice!!! I am impressed!
  • morenita71
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    morenita71 wrote: »

Are you a chef in your own rights....its all I can do to make rice!!! I am impressed!

Haha! No, just a keen cook and we did a cookery course when we were in Thailand. It's difficult to always find the time but it's something I enjoy!
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I dunno but try checking out shesimmers.com for excellent Thai recipes