Shift work and weightloss

Options
Hey all im a new nurse working rotating 12 hour shifts. I have put on 15+ lbs in the last 6 months. Its time to build healthy habits to fight the nightshift bulge. Im looking for fellow shiftworkers to offer advice and moral support :)

Replies

• _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    bring all of your food from home!!!! vending machines or co-workers bringing food can sabotage your efforts! Give yourself one day a week to cut loose but keep it strict...............prepare and bring everything!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I used to work shifts, and gained quite a bit of weight during that time. It takes a while to get a grip of a sensible eating routine, and I had to gain a size or two in my uniform issue to get the message.

Much of that time I was driving round in a "response vehicle", without any fixed meal breaks or location, so made the mistake of convenience foods on the run. Once I told myself off and stopped doing that it made a big difference. Even though I'm now on regular days and office based I still bring all my own food into the office and don't go buying snacks.
  • MarkaStone
    MarkaStone Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A water bottle and drink from it regularly not just when you feel thirsty. Also take in food from home. Meal prep can be a pita but once you get into the routine it works well.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work rotating 12 hours shifts as well, 7 days and 7 nights a month. I sit at a desk which has made it really hard as well. I hurt my shoulder and honestly got kind of lazy and gained 20 pounds in a year. I found that meal prepping is the best way to stay focused. Try adding 10-15 minutes of activity every hour if you find yourself sitting for extended periods of time. Just go for walks and stay active on your days off as well. Find others to join you for walks, jogging biking anything to keep you active on your off days as well. I have convinced my wife to mountain bike once a week with me and I'm down 15 pounds in 3 months. Best of luck and feel free to add me for workouts and recipes.
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I work four 10 hour night shifts per week, and have gained well over 20 lbs in this position over the last 1.5 years. I'm new to MFP, and my initial plan of attack is logging everything, making healthier choices when ordering out, hitting the treadmill for at least one of my breaks, and bringing more food from home.