Why have I gained weight?

Options
So my starting weight was 168 pounds which was exactly 2 weeks ago from today I was going to the gym at this time but not counting calories. I officially started my weight loss journey on the Thursday of that week (a week and a half ago - counting calories and going to the gym 4 days a week) my calorie budget is 1,400 and each day mfp says if everyday were like today I'd lose 5-10 pounds in 5 weeks.
So my weigh in day is Monday and last Monday I weighed myself at the pharmacy without eating or drinking anything and I'd lost 2lbs which I was soo happy about. However, today I went to the pharmacy straight after my gym session(where I ate breakfast before my gym session and drank 2 bottles of water at the gym) and it says that my weight is back up to 168lbs.
I was heartbroken as I'm trying my best to lose weight and I'm now back where I started☹.

Replies

• yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You really need to give yourself a bit more time, frustrating though it is. Also, it is best to weigh yourself in the same situation each time, that is, if you weigh yourself before eating and drinking once, weigh yourself that way again. Our weight goes up and down during the day and you want a consistent point of measurement. If you are eating the right number of calories, it will work for you! Best of luck.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    There is a topic in the forum with almost the same title next to yours. I recomend you read the coments.
  • Shuntae_xox
    Shuntae_xox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you Detritus_1965 I will give it more time as it hasn't been more than 3 weeks yet.
  • CrabbyPotato
    CrabbyPotato Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I googled the weight of water and it replied one liter of water was slightly over 2.2 pounds. Water is really heavy. Might’ve masked a bit of loss. :)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Lashuntae wrote: »
    Thank you Detritus_1965 I will give it more time as it hasn't been more than 3 weeks yet.

Give it 8 weeks. You can't establish any kind of trend in so short of time. Too many variables that can mask what you're doing in the short term. Patience is the hardest thing in all of this.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Its best to weigh at the same time and under the same conditions

Most people prefer first thing in the morning after using the toilet and before eating or drinking

Weighing yourself after breakfast means youve weighed you, your breakfast and the fluids you had to drink
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You weighed yourself after the gym and after eating...well there you go then, that's why the spike in weight.
    You need to stick to the same time of day/same conditions to weigh in.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My weight will fluctuate 2 to 5lbs from morning to evening. Weigh in the morning before you eat..
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,673 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Your clothes, shoes, food, and fluids that you drink all weigh something.

This is in addition to the normal water weight variations a healthy body can have.

Your weigh in conditions are able to alert you to life threatening levels of edema, maybe.

But they are not granular enough to tell you whether and how fast you're losing weight.

Not unless you lose weight at a much faster rate than you probably should.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to track your intake? And also it's best to weigh oneself first thing in the morning after using the restroom if you eat something your weight will take into account the food in your system.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lashuntae wrote: »
    So my starting weight was 168 pounds which was exactly 2 weeks ago from today I was going to the gym at this time but not counting calories. I officially started my weight loss journey on the Thursday of that week (a week and a half ago - counting calories and going to the gym 4 days a week) my calorie budget is 1,400 and each day mfp says if everyday were like today I'd lose 5-10 pounds in 5 weeks.
    So my weigh in day is Monday and last Monday I weighed myself at the pharmacy without eating or drinking anything and I'd lost 2lbs which I was soo happy about. However, today I went to the pharmacy straight after my gym session(where I ate breakfast before my gym session and drank 2 bottles of water at the gym) and it says that my weight is back up to 168lbs.
    I was heartbroken as I'm trying my best to lose weight and I'm now back where I started☹.

You're doing it wrong. Day to day weighing means nothing, some days you're weight will go up and on some days, your weight will go down. Ideally you should weigh yourself when you wake up after going to the bathroom and before eating breakfast with as little clothes as possible (clothes can influence the weight). Calculate your daily weight for the week and then divide it by 7, that will give you your average weight for the week, you then compare with your previous average weeks and adjust your calories if you see nothing has happened during the last 3-4 weeks. In your case, 1400 calories seems already low so you should be losing weight especially in the first month...if not, that`s because you're either weighing food wrong or not all ...or the data you entered has errors on the macros.Just remember not to fixate yourself on daily weighins, I can lose 4-5 lbs easily overnight, just like I can gain 4-5 lbs overnight...what matters to me is my average weight, that's what gives me a clear picture on my progress.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating when you're first learning the ropes, but asking questions and researching is the right way to do things. :) Anything you eat, drink, or wear has weight to it when you weigh yourself, whether it's on your feet or inside your digestive track. A typical bottle of water is 16.9 ounces. That's a little more than a pound. So, if you weigh yourself, then chug a bottle of water, and immediately get on the scales right after, your weight will be a little more than a pound higher. Also, the human body's weight fluctuates all throughout the day, the week, and the month. It's extremely common for your weight to increase and decrease each day by 1 to 5 lbs. A vigorous workout often results in a couple of extra pounds in the following days as your body retains more fluid afterwards. Fluid does not equal fat. It's just natural fluids your body uses to keep its processes going. Some days it holds on to more (stresses, sodium, less sleep, menstrual cycles, etc), and some days it releases quite a lot. You've gotten some great info from these folks...keep going!