How to become a runner when you passionately hate running...

I have always enjoyed cardio, as long as it's something different every couple of minutes so I don't get bored, which is why Jillian Michaels' circuit training has worked so well for me this past year. I've lost 20 lbs in just over a year, but now I want to focus less on weight loss and more on changing my body composition. However, these programs just won't do the trick for that "runners body" I have always wanted. I'd like to be lean with muscle, and from what I've heard running is the easiest way to get in this shape.

The only problem is, I hate running!

I've tried it out a few time before, but once my chest starts hurting and it gets hard to breathe (I am allergic to everything outdoors which doesn't help) I get frustrated and go back to what I'm used to. For some reason, it also really annoys me to feel like I'm doing the same thing for an hour or more. It's like my brain convinces me I'm tired way faster than when I'm circuit training, because I'm not distracted by doing something new and different every minute or so. If that makes sense.

So basically what I'd love to hear feedback on, is how do I efficiently acclimate myself - mentally and physically - to running regularly?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    I've tried it out a few time before, but once my chest starts hurting and it gets hard to breathe (I am allergic to everything outdoors which doesn't help) I get frustrated and go back to what I'm used to.

First of all, running may never give you that "runners body" you say you've always wanted. A lot of that is genetic. You can change some things about yourself, but you can't change everything.

Secondly, if you really want to run ... slow down. Slow down to a pace just slightly above a brisk walk. In fact, maybe even start by doing a couple weeks of brisk walking and then just ease into a run. Any time your chest starts hurting and it gets hard to breathe ... slow down.

Finally, run outside somewhere interesting and/or scenic. Run through a park or next to a beach or something. Run to a destination and back. Run where there are people you can watch.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    If you hate running why make the effort? I'm sure there are other forms of cardio that would work just as well. Life is too short to do something you hate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Run on a treadmill or an indoor track? Distract yourself with other entertainment while doing it?
    Try something like Zombies Run?
    Don't run every day?
    Run with someone?
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/love-running-tips/
    https://greatist.com/fitness/18-running-workouts-try-something-new
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I have always enjoyed cardio, as long as it's something different every couple of minutes so I don't get bored, which is why Jillian Michaels' circuit training has worked so well for me this past year. I've lost 20 lbs in just over a year, but now I want to focus less on weight loss and more on changing my body composition. However, these programs just won't do the trick for that "runners body" I have always wanted. I'd like to be lean with muscle, and from what I've heard running is the easiest way to get in this shape.

The only problem is, I hate running!

I've tried it out a few time before, but once my chest starts hurting and it gets hard to breathe (I am allergic to everything outdoors which doesn't help) I get frustrated and go back to what I'm used to. For some reason, it also really annoys me to feel like I'm doing the same thing for an hour or more. It's like my brain convinces me I'm tired way faster than when I'm circuit training, because I'm not distracted by doing something new and different every minute or so. If that makes sense.

So basically what I'd love to hear feedback on, is how do I efficiently acclimate myself - mentally and physically - to running regularly?
    Everyone has muscle. To what extend is based on how you train and eat. So if you want lean, then you eat conducive to attaining it. One doesn't NEED to run to get it. In fact many lean people just walk as a form of cardio and still have lean bodies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Sounds like you're trying to do too much too fast. If you feel your chest hurting and develop labored breathing stop what you're doing!

If you are determined to run there is a C2K app (actually there are several) that teach you how to increase the running incrementally but changing your activity might be better. It's too easy to find excuses to keep from doing something you hate.
  • rfbrhm
    rfbrhm Posts: 7 Member
    I just wanted to echo C2K apps too!
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    As someone who used to hate running but has finally discovered that "runner's high," I echo everyone here. Start sloooow. Very slow. The key is length, not speed when you're starting out imo. You might even build it up faster than you realize. Don't rely solely on cardio either, lifting has really helped me with my running. I usually run 2 or 3x a week now, anywhere from 2-4 miles depending on the day. More if I am training for a 5k or 10k, but I usually only do 2 or 3 of those a year.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    I've started the Couch to 5k app. I'm about to begin week 3. It is NOT easy for me as I really didn't exercise much before that (walks daily, but no intense cardio) - I am NOT a runner, but do love when the endorphins kick in afterwards. Having my earbuds in, and a strong playlist is key for me. I tried the treadmill and didn't like it at all (I wasn't "distracted" enough)- being outside works for me.

Good luck!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I just want to echo the run interesting places. Unless you've got a health or physical condition that prevents you from running trails or paths or interesting places, get out and see life.

Also, go slow and start with walking.. build up to 30-45 minutes and then ease into C25K.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    You can have a runners body without running. What about the ellipical? Try that. I highly prefer that to running.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You don’t need to run to get the runner’s body. Cut your daily calorie intake.

Continue the cardio exercises you love.

You are running wrong. Follow a plan like C25K and build slowly. Run very slow and build up slowly to allow your body to build up its cardiovascular capacity.

If allergies are a problem there’s the treadmill and indoor tracks.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I also hated running when I first started. I started out by walking on a treadmill and getting used to the breathing of it all. I began, slowly, running a few minutes here and there along with walking. Soon I was able to run one mile. Then I could run two miles, etc. Once I could run three miles I began running outside. I never looked back after that. In the past two years I've had two kids and running just hasn't worked for me after about 1/2 way through the pregnancies. So, I'm back to running now and I'm using a c25k app that is working well. It is also a walk/run program and you can redo any days you want if you feel like you aren't ready to progress to the next week. If you get that love for running you'll never want to lose it. But if you don't love it then I certainly wouldn't continue it. I crave it and that's why I do it...but I did have to develop that love. It wasn't something in my life in the past.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Why hasn’t your doctor prescribed medication for your allergies?
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    I don't like running tried it when I was younger, now it bothers my SI joint. So there is other cardio to do, don't bother forcing yourself do something you don't like.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I didn't really enjoy running (apart from races) until i had been running for about 18 months, and got up to a mileage that meant running 5k was 'easy'. probably because it took me a long time to realise i was running too fast!

as suggested, try c25k, and decide once you complete the programme whether you want to keep running.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I suggest biking or Zumba or other cardio. Don't do something that you hate.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    What's a runner's body? I see all types, some are not attractive, more like concentration camp chic. If you mean lean and muscular, lots of ways to get there all involving lower body fat percentage and some strength training. As a lifelong runner I have found that the right music track helps a lot with boredom. Also, if you have a route planned out that you run over and over again you can stop thinking about navigation and let your mind day dream as you run. Having said all that, if you still hate running do something else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What is a runner's body? I know lots of people who run and their bodies are pretty varied.

I hate running, so I don't run...I like riding my bike, so I do that. You're better off doing something you enjoy...for one, life is too short and for two, you're more likely to be consistent with it and keep doing it long term.