Dessert every night? Will having dessert every night help me have less on weekends?

Options
GettingHealthy8765
GettingHealthy8765 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
How often do you have dessert and what do you have? I am wondering if having a little dessert every night that fits into my calories will help me to not eat as much on the weekends?

Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake, ice cream, cake, cookies I have something every day :smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if having a little dessert every night that fits into my calories will help me to not eat as much on the weekends?

Not necessarily. Are you specifically overeating desserts on the weekend? Then adding desserts at other times may help, if the problem is letting loose with otherwise restricted foods. If the problem is undereating or more exercise making you hungry on the weekends, then daily dessert won't make any difference.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have dessert 7 nights a week. I'm not sure that it helps me eat less on weekends though....

I rotate through a few different ones.

Chia pudding topped with yogurt or cottage cheese.

Halo top ice cream. The candy bar flavour tastes like a snickers bar.

Protein cheesecake.

protein chocolate pudding.

Cottage cheese mixed with cacao and topped with sliced bananas.

I go for filling, high protein desserts because i need a filling and substantial bowl full. None of this 60g ben and jerry's tiny portions.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night of the week and it didn't impact on my weight loss as I made sure it fit in with my calorie allowance. Greek yoghurt, nuts and seeds and fruit with low joule jelly are my go-to dessert choices.
  • mkyoungdds
    mkyoungdds Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert most every day. The low calorie high protein cheesecake is amazing! I also frequently eat Yasso frozen yogurt bars and Halo Top ice cream.
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert daily. Normally a few squares of chocolate, or a chocolate or caramel yoghurt. Sometimes a greek yoghurt with chocolate protein powder. If it is in your cals it won't impede your weight loss!
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weis bars (120 cal each), a row of dark choc (110 cal) or freddo frog bars (65 cal each). I used to plan for oats with dark choc and peanut butter mixed in but I'm just too full these days after dinner.
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate or chocolate biscuits most nights, and a glass of wine when I have the calories left. No it doesn't stop me wanting all sorts of things I can't really fit into my daily allowance, but it does stop the feeling of deprivation which would certainly derail me otherwise. I think you just need to experiment with what suits you. Don't demonise dessert though, after all, food is a pleasure, not just fuel.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. You have to figure it out. Do the math, and then listen to your inner voice. Are you getting in sufficient nutrition? Is dessert every day good or bad for adherance to calorie goal? Does it improve or lessen your quality of life? Some people need a treat every day. For me, treats more often than maybe once per week, is too much calorie-wise, and it just gets out of hand, and most of all, treats loses its special-ness. I'm currently working on making a weekly treat normal, but not a big deal, and that takes some discipline. But I also eat delicious food for every meal, so it's a reasonable tradeoff for me. If your diet is made up of salads and protein shakes, maybe you need a dessert every day to keep sane.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont see how eating desert M-F would make you less hungry on the weekends?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have dessert 7 nights a week. I'm not sure that it helps me eat less on weekends though....

Halo top ice cream. The candy bar flavour tastes like a snickers bar.

I have dessert every night too. Most days it's SF jello, a frozen concoction of yoghurt, protein powder and sometimes cacao, with berries and nuts. Sometimes chocolate cereal. It doesn't make me want to eat less

@Christine_72, I've been eyeing off the candy bar halo top at the shops for weeks... You've convinced me I need to try it! I love snickers!
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If i want it, I eat it. First time I did this I cut stuff out and was miserable, won't do that again.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I eat desert everyday. Most often icecream but everything else too including cake. I just make it fit in my calories. No desert - no life for me :wink:
    Why do you eat a lot on the weekend? Do you still log? I eat the same during the week and during the weekend.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    How often do you have dessert and what do you have? I am wondering if having a little dessert every night that fits into my calories will help me to not eat as much on the weekends?

It's been a while since I was on a restricted diet (I've been in maintenance around five years) but I think what everyone is getting at is if you deprive yourself constantly and undereat (a common mistake), you'll find yourself binging. It's all about balance. When you say dessert, make smarter choices. Instead of ice cream, when I was losing, I might have taken a frozen banana and some milk, vanilla extract and cocoa and blend in a food processor. Maybe frozen fruit in a Yo-nanna (it's a device that blends frozen fruit into ice cream like consistency.

What I found, over time, is that as I ate more at my meals, I craved snacks/desserts less and less. I don't eat that many desserts nowadays.

Your weekends shouldn't be a binge, either. Treat every day of the week similarly. You can destroy a good week in one day on the weekend.
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    never had dessert
    never as a kid
    never now
    as a treat when we go out for dinner

fruit ?
  • Bedazzled35
    Bedazzled35 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weis bars (120 cal each), a row of dark choc (110 cal) or freddo frog bars (65 cal each). I used to plan for oats with dark choc and peanut butter mixed in but I'm just too full these days after dinner.

Freddo frogs are 80 calories in the UK. They are my favourite treat, I shamefully hide them from my son by keeping them in the freezer which makes then super yummy and take longer to eat
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Freddo frogs are 80 calories in the UK. They are my favourite treat, I shamefully hide them from my son by keeping them in the freezer which makes then super yummy and take longer to eat

Good idea! They melt too easily here, I'm putting them in the freezer right now!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most nights...usually a couple of these sea salt, dark chocolate, caramel squares.
  • Julia0983
    Julia0983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most nights...usually a couple of these sea salt, dark chocolate, caramel squares.

That's exactly what I've just eaten - ridiculously decadent for only around 60cal