Serious doms

Options
I did a brutal whole body workout yesterday, and I’m feeling it today.. arms, abs and legs are so so sore!
I am supposed to be going to the gym tonight, what should I do? As obviously I won’t have the strength to do much with serious doms.. would a rest day be better or some light cardio?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Light cardio
    Yoga
    Stretching
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk and stretch. That will help get the lactic acid out of your muscles.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Drink some water, get moving, suck it up.

For the record, "brutal whole body workout" means different things to different people.
  • iwant2seemytoes
    iwant2seemytoes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    if I get DOMS I'll stick to light cardio and some stretching the next day
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I'd just take a dsy off and rest.
  • kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Light cardio
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others said, maybe do some light cardio. If your DOMS are so bad that you can't get an adequate lifting session it, I definitely would not do it.

@erickirb for most full body programs I agree, but some programs like Strong Curves have you working the same muscles on consecutive days (ex. A,B, rest, A,C rest). Obviously it is intelligently written and you aren't maxing out the day before.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    If you did a full body workout yesterday, what did you plan on doing at the gym today? Hopefully not weights, as you should wait at least 48 hours between working the same muscle group.

It is a min of 72 hours between working the same muscle group not 48. Also if the muscle is still sore don't work it yet. Do cardio, foam rolling or some stretching.

72 hours? Where did you hear this.. how would you even run a standard full body program?
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you did a full body workout yesterday, what did you plan on doing at the gym today? Hopefully not weights, as you should wait at least 48 hours between working the same muscle group.

It is a min of 72 hours between working the same muscle group not 48. Also if the muscle is still sore don't work it yet. Do cardio, foam rolling or some stretching.

The cure for DOMS isn't rest, it's work. And it entirely depends on goals and intensity and rest. Professional(Olympic) athletes often train every day at different intensities even across the same muscle groups. It's all about programming.

And it's neither 48 nor 72 hours, it's 2 full sleep cycles, which can be as little as 33-34 hours.

2 full sleep cycles instead of 48 hours? Awesome! I lift late on Thursday evenings (9-10pm); I'd much rather do my weekend session on a Saturday afternoon than wait till Sunday :smile:
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't stop moving....it will only be worse if you lay about, stay lightly active...what ever that means for you. I have a Zumba class the evening after my hardest workout. My sore muscles feel better after the class.
    On days I feel like I have Trex arms or Im walking like the tin man I take an Epson salt bath...it helps me but this may just all be in my mind.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Froggyh wrote: »

The cure for DOMS isn't rest, it's work. And it entirely depends on goals and intensity and rest. Professional(Olympic) athletes often train every day at different intensities even across the same muscle groups. It's all about programming.

And it's neither 48 nor 72 hours, it's 2 full sleep cycles, which can be as little as 33-34 hours.

2 full sleep cycles instead of 48 hours? Awesome! I lift late on Thursday evenings (9-10pm); I'd much rather do my weekend session on a Saturday afternoon than wait till Sunday :smile:

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing I was suggesting. The normal 2 day recovery plan is based around lifestyle and convenience and the assumption that you want to train at the same time every day.

M/W/F at 6 AM or 4 PM. If it works for you to do 4 PM or 9PM followed by a 6AM, No harm done, and your next rest period will also make up for it.... The convention of 2 rest days per week(weekend) is also a lifestyle convention/convenience, Obviously some advanced/intermediate programming needs that extra rest day... usually with Monday or Friday being your "heavy" day and W being light and then Friday/Monday being medium. Again different programs are waved in different patterns.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My body retains inflammation for a longer period of time than others might experience (fun having an inflammatory disease) so if it is lifting day and I am not feeling it, I will still do it but with half the normal weight or even less. I have found, for myself, that this helps work out those inflammatory kinks along with extra hydration. Overall, I feel better and am still getting some exercise in.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Honestly, DOMS following an intense full body workout can make me feel like the tin man after rusting in the rain. What helps is that I have an "active recovery day. "Active recovery" for me means I am walking several times a day for 15-20 minutes at a time.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I still have a split second of super excitement before I realize it’s an acronym and not an abbreviation
  • goatg
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    DOMS following an intense full body workout can make me feel like the tin man after rusting in the rain.

Sigh

• goatg
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    DOMS following an intense full body workout can make me feel like the tin man after rusting in the rain.

Nice and lubricated