How long to get used to/break in a new type of shoe?

Options
Just curious how careful I should be going to a new type of shoe with a different drop. I've been running in Asics GT-1000 (10mm drop) but wanted to try a mid drop shoe and bought a pair of Hoka with a 4mm drop. Is this something I need to take slowly or is it okay to go run 5K in them. Did 2.5k on the treadmill and liked how they feel.

First time changing shoe drop and with this brand.

Thanks.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    6mm isn't horrible, but you will likely feel it in your calves - I think a 5k you should be ok; try to run one or two times outside for a shorter distance first (like a mile) - I found on hoka's it wasn't so much the drop but how cushioney they felt that screwed me up
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For me going conventional to a 4 mm drop wasn't too difficult. A little calf soreness/tightness but nothing too crazy. I alternated shoes for a few weeks, short runs in the 4mms and my regular shoes for the longer runs, slowly phasing out the conventional shoes completely.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    n=1, so take it for what it's worth.

Drop isn't a big factor for me. I can go from 8mm trainers to 2mm race shoes without blinking an eye. If I try to change my stride/landing/whatever, that's when I notice the difference.

So IME, if your stride is staying the same, drop shouldn't make a huge difference. Definitely feel it out on your first few runs, but I wouldn't expect a long learning curve. Now, if you're changing your stride (trying to be less of heel striker, for example)... that can take time.

Again, n=1... and in this case, n doesn't really know what he's talking about.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Nothing more than 5K for me this week, except maybe Sunday if I don't go skiing instead. After 2.5K did not feel any calf soreness.

But still going to be on the treadmill until this white *kitten* is gone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    With Hokas I'd be more thinking about the stack height than heel-toe drop.

A lot of the transition depends on how strong your calves are compared to your shin muscle, and how resilient your achilles is.

Personally I'd suggest transition over a month. 25% of cumulative mileage in W1, 50% in w2 etc.

Be cautious of sensitivity in the achilles though.

Again, conscious that it's an n=1 situation, I go from 6mm to 0mm to 4mm without much stress nowadays. I don't think I've ever used something with more than 8mm though.

The difference for me is that my shoes tend to be minimal cushioning though. Hated Hokas when I tried them as I didn't get the ground feel from them.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i never had any trouble going from shoe to shoe.