What is my ideal weight?

Options
I’m a female 5ft 4 19 years old and currently at 142lbs so 10 st 2 ive lost a lot of weight which I’m extremely proud of but I’m not sure as to when to actaully stop losing weight because I have no idea what weight I should be. Can anyone tell me what an idea weight for my height and age would be it would be appreciated as google is telling me I should be like 7st 12 and I think I’d legit be a skeleton in a casket if I got to that weight lol. Also please only use stone or lbs because there the only ones I understand. Thanks

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    At 5ft 4 142lbs sounds a fairly healthy weight to me. 7st 12 sounds far too light!
    Be proud of what you have achieved in your weight loss.
    I would think that 130-135lbs would be about as light as you should try to go, but if you are happy where you're at currently, don't let google dictate to you.

ps I am 2" shorter and maintain at 125lbs. There are people same height as me and 20lbs lighter yet currently I look as lean as I want to be. Everyone is different, different muscle tone/larger bones so that's why there's a wide weight range for each height. You do you :smile:
  • KelARita7
    KelARita7 Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 142 is about my favorite weight...between 140-145 is my happy place. I have been down to 135, it was harder to maintain and I looked almost too small at times, but it wasn't bad. Low 140's was just easier to stay it.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different idea of what "ideal" looks like for a variety of reasons. Once within a healthy range this is an entirely personal decision.

Per google, the "healthy" range for me (6' male) is 160-196lbs. As an adult (currently 28) I've been all over that range and now sit pretty much right in the middle in the low 170s at roughly 12-13% body fat after having bulked up over 180 last year. The range of comments I get about my weight/physique is intriguing. My mother gets terrified if I mention trying to cut any more fat, a coworker said he thought I'd gotten "too bulky" before I started this cut, and one friend says I'll just get scrawny if I try to cut below 170.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 3 1/2 and am trying to get to 160 lbs. 150 would make me jump for joy.
    So it is a matter of personal choice.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    since you understand stone you may be on universal healthcare. Have this discussion with your doctor who can look at your frame as well.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 3 1/2 and am trying to get to 160 lbs. 150 would make me jump for joy.
    So it is a matter of personal choice.

Same on goal weight -- I'm a little under 5'2" and with my overall preferences and lifestyle, I don't think I'd maintain what's considered my "normal healthy" weight range -- somewhere between 105 - 135 pounds.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Forget "ideal" weight. Your goal should be your "optimal" weight, a weight that feels comfortable to wear as well as maintain.

<3

• Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    7 st 12?! I'd say that's about the LOWEST healthy weight for someone that height; I'm the same height and I haven't been below 8st since I was 16. I'm currently recomping (eating at maintenance and lifting weights to lose fat/build muscle) at around 10st because at the moment my main consideration is increasing strength, although I do have some extra fat around the middle I want to lose at some point.

If you're happy with how you look, then I think you're fine. If you want less fat, then eat at a small caloric deficit to lose weight. If you want more muscle and a little less fat, then you could try recomping (see this thread for more info: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1), which has slower results than weight loss but a) means you get to eat more :smiley: and b) means you gain more strength and muscle in the process.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to personal preference (visually) and where you feel healthy/strong

I'm a little bit shorter than you and I looked (and felt) too thin at what you said google told you your "ideal" weight was - I don't think I'm built for it.. personally I felt best around 120lbs, maybe 125lbs... which was right in the middle of the healthy BMI range for someone my height, if I remember right
    Some people have a tiny frame, some people are built kinda wide, some are really muscular... there's no way google can tell you what the best weight is for you personally