Hunger pains....

What do you do when hunger pains strike but you just ate and have drank a ton of water and your calories don't allow for food cuz your day is planned out for exactly what you should eat???

Replies

• kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    I go to sleep hungry...ive been training my body with intermittent fasting x1 month so i only have food from 1pm to 9pm and it has worked so far. I also eat a lot more proteins to keep me feel full.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    take a 30 min walk and eat some food
  • meganhirschi
    meganhirschi Posts: 18 Member
    mulecanter wrote: »
    You didn't mention how long you have been doing this. I find it takes at least a month to adjust to a calorie deficit regimen. The hunger seems to fade a bit. But, don't fool yourself, you will have episodes of hunger. Sometimes you will just fall off the wagon--that's ok as long as you get back on. Little cheats here and there relieve the tension/stress so you can resume your plan. Like others have said, choose high fiber, high protein to combat hunger--stick to the ribs stuff.

I just started following closely again today but the hunger is what has derailed me time after time. I feel I may need to speak with a dietian to help me.... Honestly I don't know how to eat as healthy as I thought I did.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You shouldn't have hunger pains as soon as you've eaten.

What is your calorie goal? Opening your diary might help, what sort of things do you eat?
  • blackbear555
    blackbear555 Posts: 21 Member
    Try to eat a lot of protein to keep you full. I sometimes go to bed hungry too if Ive eaten everything or have some fruit.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2018
    I just started following closely again today but the hunger is what has derailed me time after time. I feel I may need to speak with a dietian to help me.... Honestly I don't know how to eat as healthy as I thought I did.

Speaking to a dietician sounds like a healthy and intelligent next step. There is a certain amount of psychologically adjusting to not feeling "full", because if you're used to overeating you've probably acclimated to a level of satiety that is actually more than enough. But that's different from hunger.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    If you’ve just eaten, they’re not true hunger pains but rather your mind playing tricks on you. Distract yourself with a task/chore/hobby that takes your mind off food. I like gardening as it gets me out of the kitchen, gets my hands grub so it’s harder to snack and is a light exercise too. You find something that works for you.

If you stick with it, your body will adjust and the mind games will abate.

Good luck!!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    If you just ate, had water, you're not hungry. Excess stomach acid can cause what seems like hunger pains, so can a few different medical conditions.

Have a word with your doctor.
  • JasonDee1989
    JasonDee1989 Posts: 84 Member
    I find a cup of black coffee or green tea helps.
  • meganhirschi
    You shouldn't have hunger pains as soon as you've eaten.

What is your calorie goal? Opening your diary might help, what sort of things do you eat?

I'm eating high protein low carb items like today I had egg whites with a little cheese, sliced tomato, 1 strip bacon and 2 small sausage links. My calorie intake is 1850.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm eating high protein low carb items like today I had egg whites with a little cheese, sliced tomato, 1 strip bacon and 2 small sausage links. My calorie intake is 1850.

Carbs give you that lovely full feeling, maybe low carb isn't right for you - try lowish carbs. See how you feel if you swap out one of those sausage links for a piece of toast or potato.
  • kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    Look into Atkins 40 where u can have 40g of carbs.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    After awhile the hunger pains will subside. Occasionally I still get them and sometimes I feed into them but mostly I don’t. I always chew gum and that helps. Also, a friend of mine on here said that when he brushes his teeth it helps him. I haven’t tried that yet, though.
  • NightOwl7777
    NightOwl7777 Posts: 26 Member
    Just a little tip is to eat slowly or slower than you usually do. It takes the brain 15-20mins to let the stomach know it is full (or other way round!!) either way the message is take at least 15 mins over whatever you eat to feel satisfied. It’s also about learning that satisfied is enough, we don’t need to feel full after every meal, that’s a learnt behaviour. Undoing our habits is the hardest part of weight loss for me. Feel free to add me if you would like a buddy to chat to on your journey to a healthy you ☺️
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018

Carbs give you that lovely full feeling, maybe low carb isn't right for you - try lowish carbs. See how you feel if you swap out one of those sausage links for a piece of toast or potato.

I second this. In addition to that, not having a tight cap on carbs gives you the ability to add more volume to your meals through vegetables so your meals look better and occupy more space in your stomach. Yesterday I snacked on an entire roasted eggplant and it only came up to 160 calories for over a pound of eggplant. That snack had nearly 40 grams of carbs, I would have never been able to do that on a low carb diet. I also find starches satisfying and it takes much more food to keep me full if I don't include a starch. Maybe you're like me and don't do well on low carb. Experiment and see if you have a macro sweet spot.

ETA: are you anywhere near your ovulation or period? Sometimes hungry days just happen and you starting your diet happened to coincide with a hungry day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    1850 is plenty, you shouldn't be hungry on that. Have you opened your diary?

I second the more carbs, more veg suggestion
  • Boudicae
    Boudicae Posts: 4 Member
    If you just ate, had water, you're not hungry. Excess stomach acid can cause what seems like hunger pains, so can a few different medical conditions.

Agree with this. I didn't realize I had reflux issues until I had an ENT stick a scope down my throat for what felt like a pill stuck in there. I hadn't felt the kind of pain I would have expected from reflux, but I did notice that after I started taking my prescription, I was feeling less hungry. The raw, gnawing feeling I would get was usually soothed when I ate, so I had assumed that it was hunger, and that I was just hungry all the time for some reason.
  • meganhirschi
    Boudicae wrote: »

Agree with this. I didn't realize I had reflux issues until I had an ENT stick a scope down my throat for what felt like a pill stuck in there. I hadn't felt the kind of pain I would have expected from reflux, but I did notice that after I started taking my prescription, I was feeling less hungry. The raw, gnawing feeling I would get was usually soothed when I ate, so I had assumed that it was hunger, and that I was just hungry all the time for some reason.

I didnt even think about this being what it was! I have reflux but im not on meds til i get my physical. Thank you for the insight!!!