Question Regarding Frozen Fruit & Veggies

Options
Hello all,

I just started trying to eat smarter recently. I am on a tight budget. We are living off just my boyfriend's income so I am limited money wise. I normally buy in bulk on meats and frozen vegetable/fruits at costco to save money. Is it really all that much of a difference if I make my post workout smoothies and snacks with frozen fruit? I buy the organic bags of frozen fruit and mixed vegetables. Can I also use frozen mixed vegetables with my dinner meals? I do not think I could buy this amount equivalent of fruits and veggies if I bought them fresh. Also I should note, I am the only person in our three-person household that eats this stuff so technically I am buying food for two different meals so that also makes money tight.

Replies

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If so All one needs is to eat at a deficit if your frozen fruits and vegetables allow you to stay in your caloric intake goal it's fine. I also buy frozen fruits and vegetables sometimes. I use the frozen fruits for smoothies :) I sometimes also eat ice cream and chocolate, and it's okay because I worked it into my caloric goal. Good luck!!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
  • MANDEEx88
    MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. You have truly made me feel so much better about it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Frozen and "un-organic" is just as healthy as fresh and "organic". For smoothies and other prepared meals/dishes it makes no difference; if you want to munch, you'll obviously want to buy fresh. On a side note, you lose weight by eating less, so you can eat any food you want; you'll be eating less, but not much less, you'll still need a devent amount of calories, so basing your intake on fruit and veg would be expensive.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    In many cases, frozen fruit and vegetables have more nutrients than fresh ones. It's because they're typically frozen right after they're harvested, while fresh ones may take longer to get to your home.

Eat the frozen ones. You'll save money, you'll get the nutrients. It's a win/win.

That's exactly what I was going to say.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Most of the fruit and veg I eat is from frozen, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it or eat a large amount. I'd be lost without my freezer :)