What’s wrong with me

Options
So for the last couple months I’ve been continually overeating and gaining back all the weight I lost last year. I keep telling myself I’m gonna get back into it but I can’t even manage a few days and I binge my way through thousands of calories. I think going vegetarian in January might have something to do with it but I also just don’t have any willpower or something. I feel pathetic and hopeless, if anyone has advice I would appreciate it.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian? Are you getting enough protein? All your other nutrients?
    Vegetarian is a fine diet but it makes things harder to get everything you need. Also for those of us who only feel full only with protein it can be hard.
  • fdmille
    fdmille Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not satisfying your hunger. A low carbohydrate/high fat Paleo type of diet is what I use.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So for the last couple months I’ve been continually overeating and gaining back all the weight I lost last year. I keep telling myself I’m gonna get back into it but I can’t even manage a few days and I binge my way through thousands of calories. I think going vegetarian in January might have something to do with it but I also just don’t have any willpower or something. I feel pathetic and hopeless, if anyone has advice I would appreciate it.

What's your reason for going vegetarian? Are you low on protein as a result?
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I think there is more to this then maybe what your telling. Usually there is something that causes us to fail such as stress or and emotional response to something. I know this cause it happens to me. The worst part is I know of it yet I seem to have no control over it. I can stick to something like healthy eating and exercise, but then I fall off the wagon and it is very hard to pick yourself back up and start again. Does not help that I am a heavy procrastinator.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    The next time you get the cravings to wolf down food, you don't give in, it's that simple really.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Can you set your calories to MAINTENANCE for a few weeks.... like instead of trying to create a deficit just concentrate on stabilizing and stopping the gain first.
  • JellyyBeanz
    JellyyBeanz Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, and yeah I was thinking I might be low on protein so I’m gonna focus on hitting my goals for that.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Are you eating from hunger or is there something else going on in your life (major life change, stress, etc)? My eating habits, if I'm not careful, tend to coincide with what stress is going on in my life. It is definitely a challenge to stick to things. Packing my lunches and snacks for work really helps me to stay on track for the rest of the day--knowing that I did a great job from 6:30 am until 6:30 pm sets me up for success for the remainder of that day.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am Vegan and try to ensure that I add a protein and carb source to each meal. It is quite possible to be Vegan/vegetarian and eat a diet of junk food. I avoid this as I would definitely end up lacking in the required nutriments. I always have loads of veg to ensure I am full but bulk them out with, wholegrain pasta, rice, quinoa, cous cous, lentils, chickpeas, quorn products, beans, nuts, seeds etc. Try to add a variety to avoid getting bored. If you like spicy food, there are lots of curry and chilli recipes out there. These days most of my meals are cooked in one big pan. I also add garlic and lemon to lots of dishes which makes them very tasty and satisfying.
  • Arleah20
    Arleah20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are human....... so, get back on the horse, remember how good it felt.. and don't let yourself talk yourself out of it.... I'll be at the gym tomorrow morning thinking of you getting back on track!!!! Don't look back..... look at what you can change... cause you can't change anything. I don't know why as humans we do that to ourselves.. constantly looking backward... the only thing you look back at is the fact that YOU DID IT ONCE AND YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.. it was no easier last time... in fact.. it will be easier... just give yourself a couple days in a row to appreciate your will power!!!!!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    When you say that you can't manage a few days, does that mean that you're trying to cut your calories down really low all at once? It's really common for people not to be able to stick with really low calorie diets - you get hungry and feel deprived, and results still take time, so why not just give up/in? I think that most people would be better off looking at their current diet and thinking about what they can change for the long term, then implementing those changes gradually. Some things you might struggle with, others might be easier than you think, but either way, you'll be eating less. You've lost weight before, so you know that you're capable of doing it. Good luck!