Binge eating

Options
Hey guys was wondering if anyone has dealt with binge eating. ? I’ve dieted my whole life and have always. Binged a day or two during the week. But I’m so sick of it . The next day I end up under eating and exercising to “ make up for it “ in fear of gaining weight. ! Any thoughts.

Replies

• AlexTriGuy
    AlexTriGuy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are several discussion threads on this. I found one a long time ago as I binge eat as well. I read on this forum that people with this issue will binge eat on a ton of veggies. You still have to weigh and log them but the calorie count is super low for how full you get. That one simple suggestion helped me a lot!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out your triggers. Stress? Boredom? Eating too little on the prior days?
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeking out therapeutic help - this has been a big help for me. I was starting to lose hope, but now I am finally getting over it! Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is particularly good for compulsive overeating/binge eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, read some of the threads already posted on the subject. dieted my whole life and under eating and exercising to “ make up for it “ in fear of gaining weight are typical triggers for binge eating. Working on self-trust and self-care, and getting in good meal routines, is necessary. Professional help may be necessary too.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    My downfall isn’t so much binge eating but overeating in the evenings. For some reason I’ve found intermittent fasting has given me the discipline to curb that more. Best of luck overcoming your binges.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bing eating is pretty subjective...to some people eating 3 pieces of pizza may be a total bing...to me that's just not a big deal.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    My downfall isn’t so much binge eating but overeating in the evenings. For some reason I’ve found intermittent fasting has given me the discipline to curb that more. Best of luck overcoming your binges.

This was true for me as well.
  • Sandythinandfit
    Sandythinandfit Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Does this count as binge eating? It sure feels like it. I just completely let loose. I usually eat pretty healthy, lots of fresh foods, little processed food. But For 6 months, I ate total junk. Pizza, huge portions at restaurants, pot pies, chips, a bottle of wine a day, 2 or three frozen spaghetti or macaroni at a time. Cupcakes, cake, you name it. No accountability, and I didn't really care. I am back on track now but that was awful. And scary.

By the way, in that 6 months I gained about 25 pounds.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I have/do.

A few things that have helped me...
    1. try to be aware of the binge happening. If I can recognize it's happening, I have a chance at curbing the damage. Once I got decent at that, I...
    2. try to be aware of the binge coming. If I can recognize the potential for one, I can start identifying the triggers (boredom, frustration, sadness, etc). Once I got decent at that, I...
    3. try to change the situation so those triggers are no longer present, or at least muffled.

It's a work in progress.
  • dud311
    dud311 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Grimmerick wrote: »

This was true for me as well.

Me too. After talking with my neighbor a couple months ago, I decided to try out intermittent fasting. Strangely enough, I really enjoy it. I actually view giving in to your body "hunger" which is more often than not thirst, as a weakness now. I drink lots more water now too, probably closer to what I should have been drinking before. I use MIO flavoring to help with the boring water intake.

I have also decided to keep carbs to an absolute minimum 20-30g per day. I will skip breakfast, have only black coffee, skip lunch, and then eat cheese, sausages, roasts, brats, spinach, mushrooms, tuna, pork rinds, eggs for dinner.

It really is an eye opening experience. Your body was built to go days without food, when necessary, and now "health experts" say you need to constantly eat "small meals" throughout the day... this is BS.

Try it, I can almost guarantee you will eat less calories (if you cut out the carbs) and you will actually feel better and lose weight. I have been doing it for around 2 months and had no setbacks, lost ≈18lbs so far. I will eat some carbs every so often on a "cheat" day, especially during Lent since I can't eat meat on fridays... need to turn to some carbs!
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Being super-careful to eat healthy food all week only to go and order waaaaayyy too much pizza at the weekend, respond to it by tightening up my food intake only to lose control when someone brings chocolate into the office? BTDT.

I don't have any severe binge-eating issues (like Binge Eating Disorder or anything like that), but I've definitely got the "restrict, then eat so much I feel like I'm going to boak, then restrict to fix things" cycle down pat.

It was really eye-opening for me a few months ago when I decided to stop restricting as much and move into recomp mode, only to find that I literally *did not want* any of the doughnuts my coworker brought into the office. I cannot remember the last time that's happened for me! That was when it really hit me how much restriction was fueling the over-eating.

To help prevent binges, I find that I need to eat enough calories, and just as importantly eat enough carbs. If I'm getting enough carbs from whole grains and fruit, and enough calories from a broad range of nutritious food, I'm much less tempted by the quick-and-easy sugar hit of refined carbohydrates.
  • sallievp
    sallievp Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Watching with interest.