Coconut oil, how do you use it?

Options
Fiancé just went shopping and got Coconut Oil, any suggestions on how to use or cook with? Any tips or info appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Someone told me it's good for your hair, but I have no idea what to do with it - sorry.

*watches thread with interest*

:happy:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Can be used as a supplement... using a few grams in shakes, yogurt, etc. Use in place of butter as a spread... use in place of other oils for cooking

edit to add:
    yes, the healthy fat is great for your hair & skin. consuming is great. can also be applied on the skin to help dry areas
  • determined3138
    Options
    Use it just as you would olive oil or grapeseed oil.
  • ArtistVicki
    ArtistVicki Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of books on coconut oil...I read to take 1-3 Tablespoons of it a day. It is quite pleasant tasting...not thick and greasy like vegetable oils! I also cook with it...like fry eggs...I even made popcorn with it-Yes, I cook popcorn the old-fashioned way!...I read on a few sites how this oil can break down bad fats...I even put some on my skin...a wrinkle preventer! : )
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook BUT (this is way more exciting than food) I also use it in sugar scrubs!
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    Use it just as you would olive oil or grapeseed oil.

Oh awesome, thanks!
  • AngelaB0523
    AngelaB0523 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Um, without TMI, I don't cook with Coconut Oil.

Instead, it is a VERY good natural lubricant for sex that wards against bacterial and yeast infections. Just rub a pea size amount in your palm and it becomes liquid in a matter of moments. Afterwards, it leaves your bedroom smelling of the tropicals! A huge jar is $10 - $15, and lasts quite a while.

Bottom line, if you cook with it, buy 2 separate jars.

-Angela
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options

Instead, it is a VERY good natural lubricant for sex that wards against bacterial and yeast infections. Just rub a pea size amount in your palm and it becomes liquid in a matter of moments. Afterwards, it leaves your bedroom smelling of the tropicals! A huge jar is $10 - $15, and lasts quite a while.

-Angela

:laugh: this is the best tip yet, I love any post that starts with "without TMI"
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Had no idea it was so versatile... =]
  • Sgooden
    Sgooden Posts: 1
    Options
    I LOVE coconu oil. We use it to cook anything (i.e. Trader Joe's Shrimp Gyozas, veggies, etc). Use it on anything from spreading it on top of toast to frying.... its great for HIGH temps (unlike Olive Oil, which is only for very low temps). Just note, whatever you use it on will have a coconut flavor. Enjoy!! :tongue:
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use it on my hair and LOVE it. Smear it on, sleep in a shower cap (on a towel), shampoo and condition in the AM.

Although now I want to use it in the bedroom :wink: And maybe even the kitchen, lol.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

-Angela

This is the best info I have EVER gotten from MFP!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

-Angela

This is the best info I have EVER gotten from MFP!

Ditto, particularly the part about two separate jars. Really key advice.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I personally use in it my hair and on my skin. It is great for a message oil. I have never cooked with it.
  • samulli
    samulli Posts: 8
    Options
    I really would love to try coconut oil, but for every good thing I'm hearing about it I also read that it is bad for you (high in saturated fat maybe?). I know everything in moderation, but I just want to know anyones opinion who has heard negative things as well.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use it on my hair. I mix a small quantity of Prell shampoo with coconut oil and wash my hair with it. My waist length hair is in the best condition ever and I no longer use hair conditioners at all. Seriously, coconut oil is my Holy Grail hair product!

I've used it to cook with some, although I usually stick with olive oil because I prefer the flavor. The Spectrum brand coconut oil I have is very neutral tasting/smelling.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I really would love to try coconut oil, but for every good thing I'm hearing about it I also read that it is bad for you (high in saturated fat maybe?). I know everything in moderation, but I just want to know anyones opinion who has heard negative things as well.

*whisper*

Psssttt... saturated fats aren't as bad for you as previously thought.
  • futurekilousky
    Options

Coconut oil has what's called Medium chain fatty acids that actually support metabolism functions. Saturated fats aren't as bad for you as you may think. There is an interesting documentary called "Fat Head" that talks about this. Also, there is tons of info online about it.
  • StephanieBridge1281
    Options
    I melt it and mix it with cocoa powder, stevia, nuts, or shredded coconut to make a tasty chocolate treat.
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I cook my quinoa in it (I actually only use this oil now) and I love it! I boil 2 cups of water, and a cup of quinoa with a teaspoon of coconut oil and about a tablespoon of tumeric and a teaspoon of paprika. SO DELISH!