Is Walking good enough?

Options
I'm currently on my 4th and final year at university and ever since I started, my brother would give me rides there and sometimes on the way back from school. So since I started my weight loss journey, I thought it would be best to start going to school on my own and walking there and on the way back.

So I'm not sure if walking to school and back is enough and do I need to also join the gym? because I really don't want to honestly lol

Replies

• chenie1994
    chenie1994 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, very helpful. I'll just carry on then but focus more on my calorie intake.
  • XuMingjun17
    XuMingjun17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    chenie1994 wrote: »
    I'm currently on my 4th and final year at university and ever since I started, my brother would give me rides there and sometimes on the way back from school. So since I started my weight loss journey, I thought it would be best to start going to school on my own and walking there and on the way back.

So I'm not sure if walking to school and back is enough and do I need to also join the gym? because I really don't want to honestly lol

It depends. It depends on where you are, what you're trying to accomplish, and how fast you're trying to accomplish it. Walking is an excellent exercise. Questions arise when we think about whether or not we're trying to lose weight, gain muscle, just look good, maintain our weight, become more healthy and fit. Are we trying to become more athletic and improve performance? Are we trying to reduce the risk factors of aging? Are we trying to prevent disease? No one needs a gym, but there are numerous advantages to weight training and working out with others who have similar goals.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    weight bearing exercising is important. at home is fine.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I walk every day and it’s helped me lose over 40 lb. I would recommend some weight/strength training too even if it’s just at home. Good luck.
    Edit: I would add to just consider your safety if you’re going to walk to/from school. Hopefully your route is pedestrian friendly.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    No need to go go the gym if you don't want to. Walking is great exercise. How far is your walk back and forth?
  • chenie1994
    Options
    chenie1994 wrote: »

It depends. It depends on where you are, what you're trying to accomplish, and how fast you're trying to accomplish it. Walking is an excellent exercise. Questions arise when we think about whether or not we're trying to lose weight, gain muscle, just look good, maintain our weight, become more healthy and fit. Are we trying to become more athletic and improve performance? Are we trying to reduce the risk factors of aging? Are we trying to prevent disease? No one needs a gym, but there are numerous advantages to weight training and working out with others who have similar goals.
    oh wow
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs just walking and eating within my calories. I walked by the tennis court everyday and took lessons bc it looked like fun. And then I started running bc I wanted to burn more calories. Just beware that walking can be your exercise gateway drug.
  • chenie1994
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    No need to go go the gym if you don't want to. Walking is great exercise. How far is your walk back and forth?
    It's quite a distance. Takes me about 45 minutes to get there