Seeking opinions on something at gym

Options
I'm curious as to what people's thoughts and expectations are about something like this in their gym. I know my opinion and what happened, and the opinions of the few people around me when it happened, but I'm curious about the general opinion of this situation.

If you saw a sales/front desk person at your gym giving an older gentleman a tour of said gym and they were walking by the end of a ramp near the entrance, where someone had dropped/left a dirty tissue, Kleenex, and they kicked it to the side instead of picking it up and throwing it away what would you think of that? This was at the beginning of the mans tour. Would you expect that the employee would kick it aside and leave it there or grab something (glove, paper towel) and throw it in the trash? (Which was about 3-4 feet away)

Replies

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Definitely unprofessional.
  • 5x5SL
    5x5SL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hope the guy didn't sign up. Totally unprofessional.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Definitely unprofessional.

This
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I would mention it to the manager. If it WAS the manager giving the tour, I'd think about switching to a different gym.

Littering in any form is disgusting, but ignoring it in a place of business where it's your job to ensure/promote a clean environment is somehow worse.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

@deputy_randolph

I meant for her to use a paper towel or glove to pick it up, like I did, not that it was one of those things, it was a Kleenex.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    A used Kleenex isn't really the same as a glove or paper towel. Someone has definitely blown snot, bacteria, and who knows what else into a tissue. I would NOT pick it up with my bare hand.

If I were an employee though, I would probably go back later and pick it up with a glove...

This would be my take too, unless I was able to side track the tour while I went and gloved up, or notify maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I would think: "Who the F cares?" I wouldn't want to touch someone's dirty kleenex either. Pick it up later when some level of caution can be taken.

It's flabbergasting that this was such a big deal that a thread had to be created.
  • hariharannarayanan
    hariharannarayanan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You did not give us any details. Was the front desk person a man or a woman? Was the person black, white or brown? Gen X,Y or Millennial? What is the socio-economic background of the area where your gym is located? I form my opinions based on those details. :wink:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people's thoughts and expectations are about something like this in their gym. I know my opinion and what happened, and the opinions of the few people around me when it happened, but I'm curious about the general opinion of this situation.

If you saw a sales/front desk person at your gym giving an older gentleman a tour of said gym and they were walking by the end of a ramp near the entrance, where someone had dropped/left a dirty tissue, Kleenex, and they kicked it to the side instead of picking it up and throwing it away what would you think of that? This was at the beginning of the mans tour. Would you expect that the employee would kick it aside and leave it there or grab something (glove, paper towel) and throw it in the trash? (Which was about 3-4 feet away)

I would not expect the person to pick it up with their bare hand or stop giving a tour to go get gloved up to dispose of a used tissue. She moved it to the side and maybe planned to deal with it later or tell someone else about it.

I would not consider it a big deal and if I saw it I'd probably dispose of it myself.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    In my experience, when sales counselors give tours, they tend to be intensely focused on their prospective member - as they should be - and don't like being sidetracked from their conversation. Nor do they want to draw attention to minor flaws like a tissue. Can't say i blame them.
    Now if they were doing a walk-through by themselves and kicked the tissue aside, you'd have a point.

How was your workout by the way? :+1: