8 miles, walk at home

Options
Hi,
I have currently lost 15lbs (from 320lbs to 305lbs), which I know is not much but I am happy about.

I have come across walk from home videos on YouTube and find them really fun and a good exercise and enjoyable. I am thinking about doing 2 hours worth 5 days a week, (possibly taking breaks in between, so i dont push myself too much and I complete the 2 hours throughout the day.) This would equal 8 miles a day.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone lost weight before doing this? What would I enter it under in the diary? How many cals would I burn?

Thank you :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do you expect to work out two hours a day after you achieve your weight loss goals?
  • ultimateyou
    ultimateyou Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    At the moment my goal is to get to 300lbs, then get to my second goal of 250lbs.
    I plan to workout at 2 hours a day until I reach a goal I am happy with and then cut back maybe. It depends, but I don't want to gain my weight back once lost.
  • concordancia
    Options
    Start as you mean to go on: you should be creating sustainable habits.

The best bet is to work up gradually. How much are you doing now? Add a few minutes a day and remember to take rest days. You will probably find a time that makes sense by doing this, then you can do two hours as a special occasion once a week or so.

Personally, I cannot walk 8 miles a day. I can hike further than that occasionally, but I cannot do it every day.
  • ultimateyou
    ultimateyou Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oops forgot to put that i will have 2 days break. I might just start at 4 miles a day, that's 1 hour and see how I go. At the moment I'm just doing 10/15 mins whatever I feel like, but I really want to start properly exercising.
  • concordancia
    Options
    Oops forgot to put that i will have 2 days break. I might just start at 4 miles a day, that's 1 hour and see how I go. At the moment I'm just doing 10/15 mins whatever I feel like, but I really want to start properly exercising.

You are properly exercising. Just be consistent and slowly add time. When you have worked up to an hour, you will likely want to find something more intense, rather than continuing to add time to your workouts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have currently lost 15lbs (from 320lbs to 305lbs), which I know is not much but I am happy about.

I have come across walk from home videos on YouTube and find them really fun and a good exercise and enjoyable. I am thinking about doing 2 hours worth 5 days a week, (possibly taking breaks in between, so i dont push myself too much and I complete the 2 hours throughout the day.) This would equal 8 miles a day.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone lost weight before doing this? What would I enter it under in the diary? How many cals would I burn?

Thank you :)

I would observe that if you're going to spend two hours per day, then I'd question sustainability. That said, if you are then split that time between CV and resistance activity. That gives you two sides of the triangle, with your calorie deficit being the third.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

You are properly exercising. Just be consistent and slowly add time. When you have worked up to an hour, you will likely want to find something more intense, rather than continuing to add time to your workouts.

Agreed. You are properly exercising. I think that you will find that trying to go from 10-15 minutes to 2 hours a day is going to be a lot more difficult than you think and you may be setting yourself up for failure. Whatever you are doing is better than doing nothing, so why not make your goals more manageable? Do you have a fitness tracker that tracks your steps? In addition to what you are already doing, why not try incorporating more walking into your every day routine (e.g park further away, take the stairs instead of the elevator, get up and walk around every half hour or so)? You will still see results by getting your exercise in this way and the task may not seem so daunting. I also agree that adding in light resistance training 2-3 days per week is a good idea. Congrats on the weight loss so far. Best of luck for more to come!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Agreed. You are properly exercising. I think that you will find that trying to go from 10-15 minutes to 2 hours a day is going to be a lot more difficult than you think and you may be setting yourself up for failure. Whatever you are doing is better than doing nothing, so why not make your goals more manageable? Do you have a fitness tracker that tracks your steps? In addition to what you are already doing, why not try incorporating more walking into your every day routine (e.g park further away, take the stairs instead of the elevator, get up and walk around every half hour or so)? You will still see results by getting your exercise in this way and the task may not seem so daunting. I also agree that adding in light resistance training 2-3 days per week is a good idea. Congrats on the weight loss so far. Best of luck for more to come!

So much this, and what is preventing you from walking outside?

• lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    As someone who is prone to injuries, I would suggest slowly building up to that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As a general rule you burn (net) about 30 cal for each mile you walk per 100 lbs so at 300lbs you'd be expending, approximately, an additional 90 cal per mile walked.

15lbs is nothing to be sneezed at.....

here's a link that describes some of the health benefits from losing as little as 5% of your body weight if you're obese....

https://nhs.uk/chq/Pages/848.aspx

Keep it up!
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A 4 mph pace is a pretty aggressive pace to begin IMHO. Have you ever walked 4 miles without stopping before? If your legs are not conditioned you will definitely feel it. I highly suggest you start out walking 30 minutes and clock your time (plenty of gps apps for that) and then progressively work your way to your 4 mile goal. A 3 to 3.5 mph pace is more realistic in the beginning. Good luck. Setting goals are good. Consistency and desire are key.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about Leslie Sansone Walk at Home? Here is my 2 cents. I have done 8 miles twice in one day. I did 4 miles in the morning and 4 miles in the evening. I did it to complete a challenge I was in. Walking in place and the other steps are not as easy as it seems. I did lose weight by using her videos. Have you done an hour of walking at a time yet? I would hope that you will take the time to pace yourself so you do not burn out or injure yourself. I am an avid walker and do rely on the walk at home videos when the weather is bad. I average walking 100 miles a month. I had to slowly build up to 100 miles.

Again if we are talking about Leslie Sansone videos... I log the walks under low impact aerobics. There is a group on here that I belong to called Leslie Sansone Walk at Home. If you are interested check it out. It is a group for all kinds of walkers.

Good luck and I wish you much success.