Dealing with negative people and comments regarding your weight loss

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Jordan and since the new year I've lost 17 lbs. Now, I have to vent. lately I've been eating on track and I'm getting ready to start working out again and I just feel like my soul is on fire for weight loss right now.... that may sound stupid but I'm just very motivated and I'm actually excited to step on the scale! Basically, I'M SO PROUD OF MYSLEF! But, should I not be?? I work in an office with 8 women (only women) including myself and all I get is negativity. I try not to brag... but in a work space that is constantly chanting "woman power" "self improvment"...why should I feel bad for losing weight. Everyone else wants to lose weight but there is excuses all around. Then they say things like "well you don't look like you have lost any yet." Ony lady called me a *kitten* "playfully" because I'm losing and she isnt...sigh.... I hope everyone here doesnt have to put up with that *kitten* and if you do, im here for you! Let's be friends, ladies or guys, and be the support that we need! Don't let *kitten* get you down!

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Leave the haters behind. Lots of positive people and support on MFP
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Don't let'm get you down! Office women are... Not so great when it comes to that. I've been open at my job about my previous weightloss (and have even shown off the 'before' pic). One girl is always a maaaaajor killjoy when it comes to discussion. I've been giving advice to one of our coworkers, encouraging him. He's been doing phenomenal, you can see the weight loss super visibly on him. And he's soooo proud! But she tries to bring us down when we talk. I won't go into detail, but let's just say she tries to spout of 'woo' of what makes you gain weight. No.. Just no...

Just remember that the coworker's thoughts on you don't matter. What you think about yourself matters. How you feel about yourself matters.

Don't stop, you get'm.
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like she's jealous. You can't do anything about rude comments other than tune them out. Congrats on the 17 lb loss so far, you're doing awesome!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jmfogg wrote: »
    Hey everyone! My name is Jordan and since the new year I've lost 17 lbs. Now, I have to vent. lately I've been eating on track and I'm getting ready to start working out again and I just feel like my soul is on fire for weight loss right now.... that may sound stupid but I'm just very motivated and I'm actually excited to step on the scale! Basically, I'M SO PROUD OF MYSLEF! But, should I not be?? I work in an office with 8 women (only women) including myself and all I get is negativity. I try not to brag... but in a work space that is constantly chanting "woman power" "self improvment"...why should I feel bad for losing weight. Everyone else wants to lose weight but there is excuses all around. Then they say things like "well you don't look like you have lost any yet." Ony lady called me a *kitten* "playfully" because I'm losing and she isnt...sigh.... I hope everyone here doesnt have to put up with that *kitten* and if you do, im here for you! Let's be friends, ladies or guys, and be the support that we need! Don't let *kitten* get you down!

It's true though, when you lose 20 pounds, it can be difficult to discern if you lost any weight especially if you're monitoring yourself everyday or in this case, your coworker sees you a couple times a week. she's not putting you down but speaking honestly with no malice or negativity.

Be proud regardless of what anyone says and keep on.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the weight loss! Don't let others poor attitudes get you down. People's jealousy is ugly and shouldn't impair your journey at all. Just remember that you are doing this for you and no one else. If your office is not supportive or calling you names then maybe tell them straight up that that isn't appropriate...OR talk to HR about the inappropriate behavior. I work in a corporate office and if someone started that crap with me I would NOT put up with it. Kidding or not, that isn't cool. Name calling is so 7th grade.
    Again, good luck and keep up the great work!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    I tried very hard not to talk about weight loss with anyone. I think weight loss is mostly a solitary, inner pursuit. Outside stuff is mostly useless noise. And there’s lots of outside stuff.

Don’t initiate WL talk, change the subject.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Most people that are coming down on you are most likely jealous of your success I would take it at that. I try not to talk about my weight loss unless the other people really want to know. I tell them where I'm at most don't like to hear that to get there I work my a@@ off and watch what I eat they just want to hear drink this shake or this pill and magic you lose weight. Keep going MFP is your support.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I tried very hard not to talk about weight loss with anyone. I think weight loss is mostly a solitary, inner pursuit. Outside stuff is mostly useless noise. And there’s lots of outside stuff.

Don’t initiate WL talk, change the subject.

This.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Good job on your loss so far. Don't let them get you down. As most of the above posts stated I agree that they are likely jealous. While you have bettered yourself, they are still the same weight as (or maybe even more) they were on Jan 1st.

You may start to see them slowly, subtly making small changes. You may not realize it but you are setting a good example. I started to see my coworkers lunches change and them talking more about exercising, walking the dog and setting goals.

Try to keep your enthusiasm down at work about your weight loss. It's soooo hard for me. I am damn proud of the work I have done! But think about how you feel when someone else gets something you wish you had. (A new car, a trip planned, a great butt, etc,)

Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me,
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Don't talk about your weight losses at all or your gym pusuits. Keep it your secret and take joy in your own goals and wins....believe me they know it and will see your glow and if you buy new clothes to frame those personal wins of yours even better! The fact that you dont share will make them crazy! Tee hee :D
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about weight loss at work. Honestly, it's none of their business! If it's brought up in a general sense, I may say something like " I enjoy walking on my lunch hour' or 'I use this site called, MFP, I think it's an easy way to track stuff' but not something like "I lost Xlbs so far"
    That being said, I NEVER comment on what other people are eating, barring "o that looks good!" and maybe asking for a recipe.
  • jmfogg
    jmfogg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all the support and kind words! I guess I will just keep my weight loss to my self or mfp from now on! I would love to have more friends so feel free to add me. .... although I apparently don't know how to add people so I'll have to work on that. :smile: also, I didn't know that cursing wasn't allowed. I noticed I was censored so sorry about that.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Luckily my work colleagues have been very supportive and my progress has inspired others to start losing weight, frequently seeking advice from me on what I have been doing. However I am starting to get comments indicating that I should now stop as I am 'fading away'. As I still have about 8kg until I get to the top end of my healthy weight range I will not be listening to them and keep going until I reach my goal weight of 60kg.
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yep, I got a lot of crazy reactions from people in my church choir, of all places. The thing is that weight loss talk can at times be very awkward, especially in a work environment where you really want to manage boundaries. The excuses you hear may be covers for things your coworkers can't or don't want to talk about.

You should be proud of yourself, though! Back pats to you!
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Keep letting that fire burn! Ugh what a good feeling.

As for the catty ladies, they'll stop bringing it up eventually. Something I've had to realize is that it's so new for everybody around you too. BUT they do not matter one bit.

Keep doing you! Don't ever feel bad for bettering yourself. Amazing job on the 17lbs down!
  • karen_6067
    karen_6067 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them they are just jealous. I too have to deal with negative people but just keep in mind you are doing this for you not them!