giving up artificial sweeteners, tips

Options

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Glucose intolerance is apparently a condition in which blood sugar is high but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Studies were evaluated to find out if artificial sweeteners might affect glucose intolerance but due to the contradiction of the various studies it's not possible to make a definitive conclusion yet.
    They actually state that adiposity is a confounder frequently found in the observational studies so it's possible that it's the primary cause of the glucose intolerance and not the artificial sweeteners themselves.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4990242/

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I avoid or limit artificial sweetners because it is a migraine trigger for me.
    Maybe just get used to unsweetened drinks or a small amount of regular sugar.
    I drink water or unsweetened teas. There are a lot of tea flavors. I like apple cinnamon. If you don't like unsweetened coffee maybe experiment with tea.

Eat less packaged foods. Buy regular versions of products. If a product says sugar free or diet it probably has an artificial sweetener. Look at labels.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I used the step-down approach with iced tea. I don't eliminate all sugar, but after a time I found my tea just doesn't need it.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Glucose impairment?

prediabetes; when I have to take steriods for various conditions, my glucose goes into diabetic ranges so I have to just be careful with sugars.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    thanks all. Have some good ideas here.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/SweetLeaf-Liquid-Stevia-Sweetener-Vanilla/dp/B000E8WIAS
    This stuff is amazing even though I didn't like stevia before!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Although I don't think there is a reason for you to avoid artificial sweeteners if you want to for whatever reason then you should probably just slowly reduce your intake overtime by using less or using less frequently. That isn't specific to artificial sweeteners, it is how you quit pretty much anything.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I quit sugar by slowly tapering down. I was adding 3tsp of sugar to each cup of tea, times that by 7-8 cups a day and it was a ridiculous amount!
    I never, ever thought i could drink tea or coffee without sweetener, but i got there in the end reducing by 1/2 tsp at a time, then 1/4 at the end until i was down to none. Now any sugar in my tea tastes too sweet, so you do eventually get used to it. Just take your time and don't try and do it too quickly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The premier turn-off for sugar was measuring the effect two hours later (glucometer). All of a sudden fruity punch and cake didn’t look so good any more.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you consume, the better other food will taste. I went cold turkey one day and discovered that I actually do like beets . . . if I haven't been eating cookies.

I bet cookies would taste amazing then.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I like Splenda better than Stevia. Stevia tastes vile to me!

Me too! That horrible bitter taste of Stevia makes me gag!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Steff46 wrote: »
    I didn't like the taste of artificial sugar in my coffee so I used real sugar with some half n' half. Then I slowly stopped putting sugar in my coffee. It took me a few months but now I'm only using a splash of half n' half. Hope to eventually get to where I can drink it black. I did that method with sweet tea and now I can't handle sweet tea. Wishing you luck!

Coffee has a lot of acid which the half n half alleviates. Since black coffee makes my stomach burn, I use either unsweetened soy or almond milk in my coffee. Regular milk would work too if you prefer dairy. Milk (of any kind) would also give some nice vitamin and mineral benefits.