So Very Sore! What do I do?

Options
Hello all,

I started working out yesterday morning and did not feel like I pushed myself too much. I even took breaks when I felt I was too out of breath and I didn’t do the exercises that I felt was too much strain on certain joints like my wrist as it didn’t feel like I could do it safely. It’s now almost 4am my time and I have awoken in the middle of the night to so much pain. It took me at least three times as long to get to the bathroom as it normally does.
My question is, do you still workout when in this much pain? My whole body feels like it’s swollen and I’m sure this will not be a one time feeling for me since it’s been forever since I worked out and I’m overweight. I don’t want this to be an excuse to skip days and I’d hate to not stick with my original “workout every day plan”. At what point does it get to where it might be a health safety issue?

Thanks.

Replies

• batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    No you shouldn't workout when in pain. At first you will likely need to take many days off. It gets easier, I can usually go 9-10 days in a row now but then I gotta take 1-2 days off.

Working out every day is not a good idea.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If I'm really sore I take a day off or just go for a walk, or maybe do some light yoga
    The soreness should go away after a few times, just take it easy and don't overdo it if it's a completely new routine :) Better to take it slow than getting discouraged, or worse - injuring yourself
    If you're really set on some kinda plan - you might benefit from working your way up to that instead of trying to jump right into it? I started working out a few months ago after about 6 months of nothing, it took a couple of weeks to get used to it and to be able to do everything with good form
  • Insanitybride2b
    Insanitybride2b Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey which Jillian dvd are you doing I’ve just started the 30 day shred :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Give it a few days for the soreness to lessen...

Right now, the sore muscles are compromised and if you workout on them... Your asking for trouble

But don't fret, next time you be less sore and less after that, soon you won't be sore anymore, or at least not too sore to workout...

Another thing, don't feel like you have to go all or nothing right out of the gate... That's where most fail

If you are new to workouts, then just one a week is a huge step, then 2, then 3, allow your body to build momentum

Best wishes :heart:
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Definitely rest a day or two - or longer, until most of the soreness is gone. When you do go back, try lightening the workload until you build up to it.

As an example, I usually do 3 sets of 10 on all of my strength training exercises, but if I haven't worked out in a while, I may only do 1 set on each exercise for the first week or two. Same with cardio. I might do 50% of my usual time when easing back into things for the first week or two.

If you are so sore it hurts to walk to the bathroom, you definitely need to reduce the volume of exercise you are doing for a couple of weeks until your body gets used to it. After a couple of weeks, you should probably be fine to start increasing volume.

Also, as others have said, make sure you build in a couple of rest days a week. At your current level of conditioning, you probably need at least two days of rest in your routine.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    @MANDEEx88 there is good advice in these responses. Recovery is every bit as important as the work itself. You should have a plan for it in your program and stick to it.

Secondly, every decent training program there is starts slower and builds from there. You don't mention what program you are on, but if it's advanced, then modify.

If you start easy and progressively build with recovery as a key element, you should never be sore to any sort of debilitating level. That's not to say you won't have some aches now and again, but they should dissipate within a short time. Being too sore to move means you overdid it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Take a painkiller.
    Have a hot bath.
    and walk, that will ease up those aches.
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Personally yes I would. Used to take ice baths to help.
  • MANDEEx88
    MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey which Jillian dvd are you doing I’ve just started the 30 day shred :)

I am doing her Beginner Shred which is also a 3-level, 30-day dvd. After which I will start her 30-Day Shred. Beginner Shred is suppose to be significantly easier so I started with that.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I actually find that working out while sore helps the soreness decrease.
    I would also add: make sure you're stretching before and after working out! It really makes a difference!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Rest days. You don't have to be sedentary on rest days - walking or gentle stretching/yoga will keep blood flowing to sore muscles and ease discomfort. Keep heavy workouts to a few days a week and try lightly active days in between.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’m absolutely no expert on exercise, but one thing I’ve picked up is “never stress a muscle that’s still hurting from last time”.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Ah, the dreaded DOMS...

If I'm super sore after a heavy workout, I spend the next couple days just doing lighter things like walking or gentle yoga.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    No you don't work out when in pain. What I do is I work out one day, and I use the next day as a rest day. If I do anything else it's just walking nothing involving much work.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You are sore and swollen because your body is trying to adapt to the new workout and muscle recovery causes a great deal of water retention. Doing intense workouts while sore is a bad idea because you are unlikely to maintain proper form when you are in pain. Doing light workouts while sore will boost blood circulation and speed recovery. Think walking, or yoga, or even doing what made you sore, but at far less intensity. You want to get the heart rate up a bit and get the cardiovascular system moving things along, but you don't want to overstress the muscles. Hot/cold baths particularly with epsom salt will help - the magnesium will help with cramping and recovery, the 15 min hot/15 min cold cycle will help reduce swelling and speed recovery. I personally hate cold baths and just stick to hot, but in theory the alternating temperature is the most effective.

Oral and topical pain relievers will also help make you more comfortable.