The Calcium Diet

Options
Simply by getting adequate calcium in our diets, as many as four out of five of us could lose the extra weight..... By adding three servings of low-fat dairy to your diet can: Increase the amount of weight you lose by 70%. Increase the amount of body fat you lose by 64%. Help you lose 47% more fat from your belly. To lose an average of 1 pound per week, you need to cut calorie intake and increase calorie burning by about 500 calories per day, or 3,500 calories per week. To boost the loss to 1.5 to 2 pounds, you need 3 or 4 servings of dairy a day, for a total of 1,200 to 1,600 mg. of calcium. The easiest way to get that is with 3 servings of non-fat (skim) or low-fat milk (8 oz. per serving), yogurt (8 oz) or cheese (1.5 or 2 oz, processed). Boosting calcium will help you lose more....... Recent study: Overweight people who ate 3 servings of yogurt daily for 12 weeks lost 22% more weight, 61% more body fat and 81% more abdominal fat than people who ate a similar number of calories but no dairy products.

I just copies this from my new book "The World's Greatest Treasury of Health Secrets"..

For those of us who are having trouble loosing that last "10" or "20" pounds, maybe an increase in calcium would do the trick! Besides, we need all the calcium we can get for stronger bones!

What do you think? Anyone else ever heard of this??

Replies

• FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Simply by getting adequate calcium in our diets, as many as four out of five of us could lose the extra weight..... By adding three servings of low-fat dairy to your diet can: Increase the amount of weight you lose by 70%. Increase the amount of body fat you lose by 64%. Help you lose 47% more fat from your belly. To lose an average of 1 pound per week, you need to cut calorie intake and increase calorie burning by about 500 calories per day, or 3,500 calories per week. To boost the loss to 1.5 to 2 pounds, you need 3 or 4 servings of dairy a day, for a total of 1,200 to 1,600 mg. of calcium. The easiest way to get that is with 3 servings of non-fat (skim) or low-fat milk (8 oz. per serving), yogurt (8 oz) or cheese (1.5 or 2 oz, processed). Boosting calcium will help you lose more....... Recent study: Overweight people who ate 3 servings of yogurt daily for 12 weeks lost 22% more weight, 61% more body fat and 81% more abdominal fat than people who ate a similar number of calories but no dairy products.

I just copies this from my new book "The World's Greatest Treasury of Health Secrets"..

For those of us who are having trouble loosing that last "10" or "20" pounds, maybe an increase in calcium would do the trick! Besides, we need all the calcium we can get for stronger bones!

What do you think? Anyone else ever heard of this??
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I have actually heard that by boosting your calcium you can lose weight.
  • FloridaGranny
    Options
    bump
  • Rubybees
    Rubybees Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard that by boosting your calcium you can lose weight.

:bigsmile: thats what was being said!!:laugh:
  • Rubybees
    Rubybees Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have heard this before! On slimming world you have calcium amount for this reason
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have heard this too... although I wonder... am I the only one who doesn't even come CLOSE to ingesting that much calcium even when I eat 3 servings of dairy? I take a supplement for the rest, do you think that still counts? :huh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I am so bad at getting calcium into my diet. I really need to get some milk and start having a glass a day. My mom made us have 2 glasses a day growing up...and I love milk...but for some reason I don't buy it. I did eat yogurt today, so that's good. I eat yogurt almost every day. And I eat parm cheese a lot on my dinner. But that's about it.

Hmmmm, I'll get some milk this Sunday when I go to the grocery store.
  • FloridaGranny
    Options
    The book said calcium supplements were ok but just not the same as dairy products. It has to do with the way your body breaks the dairy product down vs. the supplements.

I'm going to check on the calcium mg in skim milk - all my carton says is it is 30% - but not the mg. total.

I have skim milk and cereal for breakfast, a non-fat, sugar free vanilla latte for snack and then I try to eat yogurt every day or cheese. Still, yogurt is too small, as most are 4 oz. packs. So, I guess I need 2 per day, plus more milk & cheese......
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    "The Park Avenue Diet Doctor" totally agrees. She even has a chapter about calcium in her book "How the Rich Get Thin" which is a great book, btw.
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I love my calcium! I have found that when I skimp on it, the weight is definitely more stubborn to come off. I usually have a yogurt for breakfast. Stoneyfield Farms makes a great nonfat yogurt with 1/2 the amount of calcium you need a day. I also pack a Laughing Cow Babybel light in my gymbag everyday to eat on my way home from the gym. Between then and the time I go to bed I usually get one more serving in.
    Thanks for sharing this article with everyone! It is especially great as a reminder to women how important calcium is for us!