5K advice

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    c25k is great if your concern is just to finish and a 5K is pretty low risk. Make sure you have fun with it!

If you have a certain time goal, you'll have to train with that in mind. How aggressive is your goal relative to your normal easy training pace? In general, it's not unusual to achieve a race pace 60-90 seconds per mile faster than your easy training pace or 30-45 seconds per mile faster than your tempo pace.

QFT. The fastest I ever ran a 5K in training was 36 minutes - on race day I finished in 27 minutes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    C25K
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Oh I’m definitely training for this. I’ve hiked a ton of miles but never ran a 3 mile race. So yes I’m training. Right now I’m doing 13 minute miles. But I’m only able to run 3/4 of a mile until I start having pain so it has slowed me down a lot. The race pace is shocking to me though. Is it the adrenaline that increases your speed? A friend of mine mentioned that as well but didn’t elaborate why. Thanks for the advice!

It worries me that pain is stopping you from running a mile at a time? This absolutely shouldn't be the case. Run very easy until you can run sustained distance - at this stage, the best prep for your 5K is to learn to run longer distances at an easy pace.

And yes, race pace will generally be faster than training because in a race environment if you want to run the distance in the shortest possible time your goal is find the maximum effort you can give for the entire duration. If you do it right, you should basically have zero left to give when you cross the finish line.

We rarely push this hard in training...for most of us training is split into an 80/20 split of easy and hard miles, and even the hard miles aren't necessarily as tough as we'd run them in a race environment. Admittedly, running in a crowd in a race environment makes the hard miles easier to absorb. I doubt I could achieve a true race pace outside of a real race environment.

There's a saying that races don't get easier as you become a better runner, you just get faster. I will say though, at 13 minute miles and not yet able to run a mile at a time, while two months is plenty of time to prep for a 5K, don't worry too much about time for your first 5K. I think a goal of finishing without walking would be just fine.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    check the course out before hand also I made the mistake on a hilly course of running hard downhill and damaged my patella tendon. Just go to finish there are always faster but I do try not to be last :)

Great advice! Thanks!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    SD_Kerry wrote: »
    Hi I wanna be,
    The #1 mistake most people make in races is starting off too fast. They get caught up in the energy, excitement, hype, etc and launch out of the starting gate like a rocket. Expect things to move a little slowly when the 'gun' goes off but remember, your time chip doesn't start calculating your time until you hit the mat at the start line. Find your pace and block out the temptation to race with others that may pass you.

Also, don't eat or drink anything the day before or day of the race that you haven't tried before. There's usually lots of samples at the expos where you collect your number and welcome packet. Your body might not react kindly. Same goes on the course. If they have water and Gatorade at the water stops and you haven't trained with Gatorade, don't drink it.

And, as others have said, good running sneakers are a must. I wear Brooks and they rock. So, if you like that brand, you can surely find another pair that works for running.

You're going to rock this. Report back to us with your success story.

P.S. I'd put money on it that you sign up for another race within 48 hours after you complete that one. It's addicting.

This!!! Thank you! Y’all have me so excited!

I love the one person who said nothing is required for a 5K as far as supplements. It really made me smile. I forgot to add I do have Fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, and a ruptured disk, bone spurs blah blah blah. So this is going to be like a marathon for me. I will definitely post my end results!
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k on Sunday! I'm so psyched. You're going to do great!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    We rarely push this hard in training...for most of us training is split into an 80/20 split of easy and hard miles, and even the hard miles aren't necessarily as tough as we'd run them in a race environment. Admittedly, running in a crowd in a race environment makes the hard miles easier to absorb. I doubt I could achieve a true race pace outside of a real race environment.

There's so much... emotion, adrenaline, the crowd, The first mile is gone before you even think to pace or check your pace.
  • Iwannabfit76
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for that video! :D
  • Irishsquid62
    Irishsquid62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, go to a good running store and have an analysis and fitting done. It will pay off as you start running more and your distance increases. I was a runner for over 20 years and even completed three full marathons before I finally had it done. Turned out I'd been running in the wrong type of shoes for years. The proper shoes made a world of difference and solved a lot of injury problems. Invest in some good socks while you're there. They're important and often overlooked. Avoid cotton at all cost.

As far as the actual race goes, don't get caught up in the excitement and start out too fast. Run your own pace and ignore the faster runners passing you. If you need a walking break, take one (...you certainly won't be the only one). You're out there to have fun so don't stress over it. Enjoy it and good luck.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add I do have Fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, and a ruptured disk, bone spurs blah blah blah.

You didn't think all of that might have been relevant to the original question?

That does change the answer to ask a doctor...

Fwiw I can push a wheelchair for 5K in about 50 minutes, longer if it's offroad.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi I wanna be,
    The #1 mistake most people make in races is starting off too fast. They get caught up in the energy, excitement, hype, etc and launch out of the starting gate like a rocket. Expect things to move a little slowly when the 'gun' goes off but remember, your time chip doesn't start calculating your time until you hit the mat at the start line. Find your pace and block out the temptation to race with others that may pass you.

Also, don't eat or drink anything the day before or day of the race that you haven't tried before. There's usually lots of samples at the expos where you collect your number and welcome packet. Your body might not react kindly. Same goes on the course. If they have water and Gatorade at the water stops and you haven't trained with Gatorade, don't drink it.

And, as others have said, good running sneakers are a must. I wear Brooks and they rock. So, if you like that brand, you can surely find another pair that works for running.

You're going to rock this. Report back to us with your success story.

P.S. I'd put money on it that you sign up for another race within 48 hours after you complete that one. It's addicting.

This!!! Thank you! Y’all have me so excited!

I love the one person who said nothing is required for a 5K as far as supplements. It really made me smile. I forgot to add I do have Fibromyalgia and spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, and a ruptured disk, bone spurs blah blah blah. So this is going to be like a marathon for me. I will definitely post my end results!

Sorry you have those issues but have a look through and see how many people suggested you should take supplements for a short duration exercise. FWIW I've done 147 mins of exercise today, just with normal food and drink.

Good for you that you don't let those injuries stop you but I've no idea what you think any sports or nutrition supplements are going to achieve for a 5k run. Happy to help (I like a fighter!) if you state what supplement you are thinking of and why you think it might be necessary.

BTW - I was on prescription meds for a couple of decades for some of my injuries. I would regard them as medicines not supplements so maybe there's some terminology disconnect?

• Iwannabfit76
    Options

When you start, find a person moving at a good pace for you and follow along. Just don’t be creepy about it. Lol.

Good luck

Bwhahahha noted! And thanks!!!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Sorry you have those issues but have a look through and see how many people suggested you should take supplements for a short duration exercise. FWIW I've done 147 mins of exercise today, just with normal food and drink.

Good for you that you don't let those injuries stop you but I've no idea what you think any sports or nutrition supplements are going to achieve for a 5k run. Happy to help (I like a fighter!) if you state what supplement you are thinking of and why you think it might be necessary.

BTW - I was on prescription meds for a couple of decades for some of my injuries. I would regard them as medicines not supplements so maybe there's some terminology disconnect?
    It’s all good! I just really was trying to keep it simple. And it really did make me smile! But normally when my husband runs his routine 3 miles he is only going on the previous calories he consumed as well. I just have days where I can be a beast and days where I’m sooooo tired. Just really was looking for insight. My doctors are all aware of what I’m doing and encouraging me all the way. So no worries there. I’m a planner and a realist. So I guess I might be over-planning for this. But all the feedback is appreciated. And congrats on getting off prescription meds, I was given a death sentence (to me it was) of meds and decided to live. So the supplements I would be referring to are like what’s in a pre-workout or anything that’s all natural. Thank you for the pep talk and info!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

When you start, find a person moving at a good pace for you and follow along. Just don’t be creepy about it. Lol.

Good luck

I remember pacing someone who was 7 months pregnant (I'm a guy). Managed it for about half way then she left me in the dust.

• Iwannabfit76
    Options

Good luck

I remember pacing someone who was 7 months pregnant (I'm a guy). Managed it for about half way then she left me in the dust.

Omg!!! Lol :D
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

Good luck

Additionally, don't think that the people pushing strollers are easy marks. More often than not, the ones pushing strollers in real races are the ones that are really serious about running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Good luck

Additionally, don't think that the people pushing strollers are easy marks. More often than not, the ones pushing strollers in real races are the ones that are really serious about running.

I got passed by someone pushing a kid, on a steep uphill 16 miles into a trail marathon. That was demoralising.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Good luck

Yeah, If you're going to drop 300-800 on an extra stroller you're serious about running.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Good luck

No *kitten*. Some of those folks are fast. And this same pregnant woman is going to be one of them I'm sure.