Can you still lose weight with MFP without working out?

Options
Just wandering if i stick to my 1200 calories a day will I still lose weight? Sometimes with work and the kids I may not make it to the gym in a week, but from your experience will i still drop any weight?

Replies

• mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 35 lbs without working out. i did a lot of heavy duty gardening, that's it.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to help you lose (or gain) weight without exercise. The caloric deficit is built in based on the information you gave to MFP when you set up your account, whether you exercise or not. This is why exercise calories are added back to your goal number.

Shorter answer - Yes!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Yea, you could. It may take you longer though.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Sure, but diet without exercise isn't going to help you much in the long run.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ye. Diet is most important.

1200 seems low though, but try it out to see.

You'll definitely get better body composition with exercise. It doesn't have to be time consuming either.

Even something like doing 20 pushups when you wake up in the morning could have big benefits and likely takes under 1 minute. Walk at night with the kids or bike rides are great as well.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    of course! working out helps though!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yes. But remember strong is the new thin :) ... better to be strong and physically healthy, then at a good weight range but out of shape ... keep the body strong and healthy ... you don't have to go nuts, but find something you like ... I like to run!

"If you see me collapse, pause my Garmin ... "

~Matt
  • kimberlyw26
    Options
    Thanks I was exercising about three to four times a week but now that the kids are back in school and their activities has increased that has limited me to how much i can go to the gym:( But I am going to stick to this and try my best to get to the gym!! 6 pounds gone and 24 more to go:)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i lost the first 1/2 of my weight with no exercise and a 1200 cal daily.

once i started a little exercise i needed to up my calories (by eating 1/2 to all of my exercise calories) to keep losing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yes, for sure! My husband has been doing it for 45 days now and has lost just over 10lbs with very little real exercise involved, just normal day to day living.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out in the last few months but I am still losing. It is just less than I would have if I worked out. Also, I am not as toned as other people my weight. I think I would be smaller overall if I worked out.
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Did you know that cleaning is in the exercise database... I used it today. And turned up the music and danced while vacuuming. a little silly but you burn calories how you can. I dont always have time to work out due to illness.
  • sglane
    sglane Posts: 26
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight without exercise and using MFP to stay around 1200 to 1400 calories per day. Now I'm using it to help maintain my current weight.

SW - 335 lbs
    GW - 250 lbs
    LW - 224 lbs
    CW - 227 lbs

Check out my website http://www.shawndoeslife.com to see how I progressed and feel free to friend me on here.
  • FaithForward
    Options
    I like exercise as long as it doesn't make me hot, tired or sweaty!!! That being said, I exercise very little and have been consistently losing weight for 8 months now on 1200 calories a day,
  • kimberlyw26
    Options
    That is great and I do that all the time and never record it!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I had lost 18 pounds at the beginning of my weight loss journey without working out. I have steadily gained weight since I started working out daily, so I'd say yes!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Diet is the main component in losing weight. I forget the exact statistic, but I think diet is 75-80% of the battle. I've been using MFP for over a year and half, and have never been on a steady exercise regiment. I've managed to lose almost 70 lbs. just by changing the way that I eat. Staying around 1200 calories without exercise WILL work to lose weight, but keep in mind a few things. First, what you are eating is important- just eating that number isn't the whole picture. Yes, you will still lose weight, but you won't be as fulfilled or as healthy. Secondly, it really depends on how much weight you have to lose. If you are starting off with a lot to lose, it is definitely going to come off easier just by adjusting your eating. Once you get closer to a normal BMI, the harder it gets. That's where I'm at now. With less than 15 lbs. to lose before I'm in the "normal" category, I'm not seeing losses like I used to and I've been hitting plateaus for the past 8 months or so. In that situation, exercise will definitely help. So if you are in that kind of situation, and find that you aren't losing with just eating right anymore, you may want to seriously consider finding a way to fit exercising into your schedule.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to lose weight if i am not working out but just eating 1200 cals. I lose weight if I workout though... I don know maybe my portion estimates are off.