air fryers

Options
what do you think and do you really think they cut the calories that much.
if you love them what brand do you have.

Replies

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have an air fryer, a little lazy to go check what brand it is. Idk if it cuts calories significantly because idk how much oil is absorbed by the foods I would deep fry. But I love that the only calories I need to count are the ones on the package of the food I'm making. No wondering how many calories worth of oil I'm eating.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer. But I wouldn’t have bought it just for me. But for my three year old who loves french fries, it’s great. And also for reheating stuff you want crispy, like tater tots, it’s easier for me then the whole oven.

If you have room for one, do it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tried frozen French fries made in one, and it tasted and looked the same as made in my oven. Not sure what I'm missing...
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have a 5.8qt GoWiseUSA and love it from steaks to fries! I think it's healthier. You use a few spritzes of extra virgin olive oil (Evoo), just to brown things up because it cooks by air, as the name implies. You can make anything in it that you would deep fry, fry, bake, broil or grill. I make egg rolls and burritos in it, too. Chicken, chops, burgers, what have you...and it doesn't heat up your house like an oven does. You can even bake in them. I would recommend getting one any smaller than a qt. There are smaller ones out there, a lot cheaper, but too small for much other than maybe a burger , fries, or appetizers.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I tried frozen French fries made in one, and it tasted and looked the same as made in my oven. Not sure what I'm missing...

If it’s precooked frozen, it’s the same as an oven. Just easier than an oven, imo. But if it’s fresh french fries, it’s a great way to do it instead of deep frying. You cut up a russet potato into strips. Soak in water for a few hours or overnight. Dry them. Add a tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper. And air fry them.

I also make sweet potato fries in there for him. Yummy.

• fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a T-Fal one and I use it for sweet potatoes and hashbrowns. I made spring rolls in it once, they were ok.
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    PAnn1 wrote: »
    I have a 5.8qt GoWiseUSA and love it from steaks to fries! I think it's healthier. You use a few spritzes of extra virgin olive oil (Evoo), just to brown things up because it cooks by air, as the name implies. You can make anything in it that you would deep fry, fry, bake, broil or grill. I make egg rolls and burritos in it, too. Chicken, chops, burgers, what have you...and it doesn't heat up your house like an oven does. You can even bake in them. I would recommend getting one any smaller than a qt. There are smaller ones out there, a lot cheaper, but too small for much other than maybe a burger , fries, or appetizers.

how do the steaks come out. you would think tough with the air fry. just wondering. I think I am sold on getting one;
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

how do the steaks come out. you would think tough with the air fry. just wondering. I think I am sold on getting one;

I bought a steak that I am going to cook in my air fryer. I stopped cooking steaks because I always overcooked them so I am interested to see how this one will turn out.
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »

I bought a steak that I am going to cook in my air fryer. I stopped cooking steaks because I always overcooked them so I am interested to see how this one will turn out.

keep me posted on the steaks. very interested in that one. my husband was wondering how country fried steak would come out. should really cut on the calories.
  • katygruber
    katygruber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love my air fryer!! I make sweet potato fries all the time. My husband loves the way tater tots come out. I tried mozz sticks but I have to watch those otherwise they break open and make a mess.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Be aware there are accessories for these things. I've got a basket I can put the more "breakable" stuff in.

Wire tray http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-actifry-accessory-snack-tray-0432286p.html#srp
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    what do you think and do you really think they cut the calories that much.
    if you love them what brand do you have.

My dad got one and I like it. I don't know how many calories it cuts but it does cut some.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Be aware there are accessories for these things. I've got a basket I can put the more "breakable" stuff in.

Wire tray http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-actifry-accessory-snack-tray-0432286p.html#srp

I have an Actifry as well and in order for the "breakables" not to break I have just taken out the spinner. It worked just fine.

p.s. Perogies are breakable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I won my Actifry at a Christmas event. Lower fat so easier to stay on calorie goal. Helps crisp foods.