How many calories burned as a Sonic Carhop...

Options
I don't have a HRM or anything but I'm curious how many calories I'm burning at work. I work 8-10 hour shifts as the only carhop at a busy Sonic location. Any estimates? lol

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There's not really a consistent and reliable way to estimate that, given the variety of activities that contribute.

I'd suggest seeing your activity level appropriately, rather than trying for spurious accuracy in that respect.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Work counts under your activity level, not purposeful exercise.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes count your job under activity levels. Is is moderate or high activity? As the only car hop for 8 to 10 hours. I am imagining it certainly isn't a desk job!!! :D
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Too bad you couldnt throw on some skates and use those core muscles!
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you skate or walk! I did that job for a summer in college and remember how ridiculous I felt leaving each night with a purse that weighed 10 lbs from all the tips I got in change that the manager wouldn't let me swap for bills. Good times :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This adds no value to the thread but.....there are still such a thing as carhops? I thought that was a job that had gone extinct with drive throughs!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This adds no value to the thread but.....there are still such a thing as carhops? I thought that was a job that had gone extinct with drive throughs!

Yeah, Sonic is a drive-in...

sonicdriveinnightshot.jpg__640x360_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Sonic in ages...I'm hungry
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'd guess that you'd burn a lot of cals being a carhop.

How many would vary depending on how many steps taken and how much weigbt is carried.

My suggestion would be to use MapMyWalk (or any other pedometer app) to estimate the cals based on the steps walked. Turn it on at the start of shift and turn it off at the end.

It'll be on the low side because it won't take into account the weight of the food carried (and trays if you still use them) but I still think you'll be surprised by the cal estimate.
  • jenmarie8784
    jenmarie8784 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'd guess that you'd burn a lot of cals being a carhop.

How many would vary depending on how many steps taken and how much weigbt is carried.

My suggestion would be to use MapMyWalk (or any other pedometer app) to estimate the cals based on the steps walked. Turn it on at the start of shift and turn it off at the end.

It'll be on the low side because it won't take into account the weight of the food carried (and trays if you still use them) but I still think you'll be surprised by the cal estimate.

Thank you!!!! I have that on my phone and I always keep my phone in my apron while I'm at work. I'll try that tomorrow!
  • jenmarie8784
    jenmarie8784 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Alexson50 wrote: »
    Depends on if you skate or walk! I did that job for a summer in college and remember how ridiculous I felt leaving each night with a purse that weighed 10 lbs from all the tips I got in change that the manager wouldn't let me swap for bills. Good times :)

Yes! I always leave there with at least $10 in change every day. Lol